Is this borderline pushing it

JoshPC

I was wondering if two GTX 960's (yes I know 960's when a single card can out perform it) could run off a 500w PSU, probably not but worth a try asking. If it doesn't what wattage and PSU recommendation would you suggest, I will be gaming, not pushing them on max loads but I will be playing games like GTA V, then games like minecraft.

Please note: I'm Australian so use Australian pricing

Well for starters Minecraft doesn't even take advantage of SLI to my knowledge, so there's that.

Yeah I know, I will be taking the second GPU out when Im deciding to play that game.

You don't have to?

Might as well to save power if it's not doing anything

Yeah I know, I will be taking the second GPU out when Im deciding to play that game.

Sounds like an awful lot of effort to go through when you could just get a stronger card.

But I can't really provide any sort of useful answer to your question, so I'll just show myself out. :P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Might as well to save power if it's not doing anything

In my view, it seems pointless to shut the system down to take out the card to only play Minecraft for whatever amount of time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In my view, it seems pointless to shut the system down to take out the card to only play Minecraft for whatever amount of time.

Different people have different ways of doing things I guess, there's no right or wrong way of doing it.

You'd save a total of twelve watts.

Not sure what that'd benefit :/

Can we just focus on the question please

Edited by Godlygamer23

you never answered the question of what PSU

I was asking for suggested PSU's

So you saying your going to remove you card every time for certain games, just to save a tiny bit of power ($1.80 a month). Well I'm afraid PC parts arnt made for that, and you will find problems coming your way like worn/broken slots.

Don't see the point in not getting a single card, but everyone has their own way.

For PSU: FSP Aurum S 550W 80PLUS Gold Power Supply ($100 AUD)

Might add this later...

My system with 2xGTX980 just pull around 500 watts (no OC) in stress test.

So with 2xGTX960 you are fine with 500 watts. Just make sure the PSU can actually deliver the wattage and doesn't give up at 350 watts.

As for two GTX960 makes sense that's up to you.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Different people have different ways of doing things I guess, there's no right or wrong way of doing it.

Now I'm not good at math, but I tried to math it out for you.

The GTX 960 draws 120W of power.

In one hour that's 0.12kwh.

In 2014 the average price of electricity in Australia was 9.71 cents USD per kwh.

9.71 cents / 0.12kwh = 1.16 cents USD for 1 hour of gameplay on a 960.

1.16 cents USD = 1.62 cents AUD.

So by powering down your system, removing your 960, and playing minecraft, you are saving less than 2 cents per hour. Factoring in the fact that constantly opening and closing your rig and removing parts leaves room for mistakes and damage, I think it's safe to assume while everyone has their "own way" of doing things, yours might still be a tad wrong.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Why in the world would you take the card out? Doing this everytime you used it for a year would probably save less then a dollar.... BUT whatever lol. Regardless I wouldnt trust it on a 500w

P.S. You do know your going to wear out the slots/card and break them much quicker right?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Now I'm not good at math, but I tried to math it out for you.

The GTX 960 draws 120W of power.

In one hour that's 0.12kwh.

In 2014 the average price of electricity in Australia was 9.71 cents USD per kwh.

9.71 cents / 0.12kwh = 1.16 cents USD for 1 hour of gameplay on a 960.

1.16 cents USD = 1.62 cents AUD.

So by powering down your system, removing your 960, and playing minecraft, you are saving less than 2 cents per hour. Factoring in the fact that constantly opening and closing your rig and removing parts leaves room for mistakes and damage, I think it's safe to assume while everyone has their "own way" of doing things, yours might still be a tad wrong.

$1.80* (according to my sources) , think you will use more power walking away to eat dinner and then coming back to your pc ;)

Might add this later...