Which OS

Starelementpoke

Windows 7 or a Linux distro

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Windows 7 old and trustable

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Windows 10

then 
Chrome Os

Context is very important. Best OS for what? Gaming? Browsing the internet? Doing everything?

Moved to OSes and Software. Please post in the proper sub-forum next time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think everywhere except gaming linux is best, however I play games and need certain programs so I stick with windows

None. No but in all seriousness, all OS' have something that pisses me off greatly.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

This is going to shock a lot of people probably, especially coming form someone who has used Windows & Linux primarily since forever and will continue to do so, but I'd be leading towards OSX for the answer to this.  First off, I do hate the interface/general usability, but that's just an interface, not the OS, and that's just personal opinion.  It's what's "under the hood" that matters, and on several occasions, I've been seriously impressed by it.  I'll save the stories but let's just say they've done a pretty good job!  Or at least that's how it was back in the ~tiger days I think it was... not sure if they've gone down hill since then.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

windows 10, then windows 7

linux is great for servers though and best stability

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

None. No but in all seriousness, all OS' have something that pisses me off greatly.

Could you go down the list, I want to hear how similar that list is to mine lol.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

Title says it all. Which OS did/do you find the best?

Depends on the purpose. 

For all the single-minded forum members here that just want to play video games.. Windows 10 is the best platform for compatibility.

If we exclude video games and look at everything else including stability, features, and ease of use.. OS X. 

That's all pretty obvious. 

All things considered, I probably say Windows 7.  It has the best compatibility for widely-used programs (WINE in Linux helps bridge a lot of gaps, but the ease of running stuff natively rather than through WINE is nice), doesn't have as many telemetry/spying/privacy issues as Windows 10, and is just overall a really good, quite easy to use, very stable (in my experience) OS that just kind of does everything right, or at least competently, from the average computer user's perspective.  For more specialized purposes, some flavors of Linux will of course be the OS of choice, since there's a distro for just about any single, specific niche you can imagine, which is entirely or primarily geared at one specific application.  But for general use, all things considered, I think Windows 7 comes out on top.  Windows 10 would probably tie with it were it not for the stupid goddamn telemetry stuff and the bloody advertisements in your bloody OS, which are utter and absolute deal-breakers for me.  (I know that Windows 10 Professional lets you turn all of that off, but the fact that you have to shell out more money for a business version to not have advertisements in your operating system and be able to turn off sending use data to Microsoft is horseshit).

Of course, for just general, everyday use, some Linux flavors win out because you can get all the same tasks done in Linux as in anything else, but it's completely Free and open-source (which I think is just better, all things being equal, than being closed source or non-Free), and generally runs a bit better/faster than Windows by virtue of most distributions being more lightweight.  But I still say Windows 7 overall just for general, average users, since you don't need any real computer know-how to use it, it's familiar (and has a familiar program set) to almost everyone, and you don't need to jump through any hoops to install it like with Linux.

For the more technical crowd (e.g. power users, but not necessarily people into serious coding and OS hacks), Windows 7 and Linux trade blows a lot depending on the specific needs of the user, and my impression is that they about average out for the general population.  Not, obviously, for everyone--some people, e.g. people who do a lot of coding in a lot of languages, will obviously get more out of Linux, while people who are more in the business of using technical software other people wrote will probably get more out of Windows--but I think, in the absence of knowing what someone needs specifically, it's more or less a tossup for the more technical user base.