[UPDATE, CONFIRMED] Sony enabled PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS4 without telling anyone

TopWargamer

CPU matters more than GPU in emulation. GPU doesn't get too much of a load unless you enable AA etc.

true,.but I don't think the igpu would suffice

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

true,.but I don't think the igpu would suffice

depends on the iGPU really

a Haswell or Skylake CPU. Not a chance in hell

AMDs Kaveri (A10) and Intels Broadwell chips. Sure, they should be plenty able to play those games if the emulator is written well.

depends on the iGPU really

a Haswell or Skylake CPU. Not a chance in hell

AMDs Kaveri (A10) and Intels Broadwell chips. Sure, they should be plenty able to play those games if the emulator is written well.

yeah I meant the intel igpu

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

here, I am going to say it, the PS2 is the best console ever

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think it's clear to see they are putting a wrapper on the games. But what's the point in arguing about the definition of emulating when the end of the story is "xone can play x360 games"

The end of the story is "xone can play a super small list of 360 games"

Fixed that for you.

If it was a true native emulator or a 'wrapper' then firstly; it would work for every game natively, and second; it would require no changing of the games files, so they wouldn't need to seek publisher permission.

If sony's ps2 emulator 'just werks' then they could make it work for all ps2 games out of the gate without needing to seek out permission from publishers or recompiling games.

That's a big difference and makes it a much better proposition

The end of the story is "xone can play a super small list of 360 games"

Fixed that for you.

If it was a true native emulator or a 'wrapper' then firstly; it would work for every game natively, and second; it would require no changing of the games files, so they wouldn't need to seek publisher permission.

If sony's ps2 emulator 'just werks' then they could make it work for all ps2 games out of the gate without needing to seek out permission from publishers or recompiling games.

If it wasn't emulation I wouldn't think there would be the same performance issues they are seeing

We don't know exactly how their emulator works, in fact we don't know anything about it, so on both sides of the argument it's pure speculation.

The publisher permission stuff i think likely has to do with "HD remakes" as some publishers probably don't want MS allowing players to play the games

I think the biggest thing is whether Sony allows you to play games you already own, like MS does, especially back to discs. Something Sony hasn't done with PS2 games since a short run until 2008

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The end of the story is "xone can play a super small list of 360 games"

Fixed that for you.

That is some monster speculation you've got going on there. We have no idea how either version of emulation works (XB1 or PS4).

Right now there are four games working on the PS4 emulation. You say they could just unlock the entire catalogue. Maybe? Maybe not. We have no idea.

AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, XB1 has like over 100 360 games available via emulation. PS4 has 4.

RIGHT NOW, UNTIL THAT CHANGES, that's the situation. Whether either Console Manufacturer needs publisher permission is unknown. Even if no changes were necessary to game files or game code, I'm damn sure they would still need publisher permission, because of distribution rights and so forth.

But in any case, we just don't know. Right now, XB1 definitely has a huge emulation advantage, and that's disregarding whether you think PS2 games are better than 360 games - which is entirely subjective and will vary person to person. There is no objective answer between which console has better games that still hold up and will actually be played.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)