Refresh rate effects performance in games?

DGaming

Is it true that you get better performance in games with a smaller refresh rate monitor? The bigger the refresh rate the worse performance in games you get??

Because you can see in this video at around 1:35 to around 1:55, the guy says that you can struggle at high settings if you have a higher refresh rate monitor?

What did he mean? 

The video: 

Also what refresh rate monitor would u recommend me to get? 60hz?

Thank you! :)

Is it true that you get better performance in games with a smaller refresh rate monitor? The bigger the refresh rate the worse performance in games you get??

Because you can see in this video at around 1:35 to around 1:55, the guy says that you can struggle at high settings if you have a higher refresh rate monitor?

What did he mean? 

The video: 

Also what refresh rate monitor would u recommend me to get? 60hz?

Thank you! :)

No, the refresh frequency of the monitor does not affect the performance of the graphics card unless you set the GPU to limit itself to the monitor's frequency. But in that case lower frequencies would lower performance, not the other way around.

No, higher refresh rate monitor do not affect performances. Higher resolution monitors, on the other hand, yes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

No, higher refresh rate monitor do not affect performances. Higher resolution monitors, on the other hand, yes.

I'm like 99% sure that's not true

No, the refresh frequency of the monitor does not affect the performance of the graphics card unless you set the GPU to limit itself to the monitor's frequency. But in that case lower frequencies would lower performance, not the other way around.

Guys.. what did the guy in the video mean then? :D

-snip-

Fairly sure that he means that the rig will begin to struggle to power a monitor at a higher refresh rate (120 or 144fps) than a lower refresh rate one (60fps) because obviously 60 is easier to maintain in games than 120 or 144fps.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I think all he means is you can't get 144hz on high and you have to drop it even further.

Guys.. what did the guy in the video mean then? :D

If you have a 60Hz monitor, to take full advantage of it you want a computer capable of maintaining 60fps. If you have a 120Hz monitor then to take full advantage of it you want a computer capable of maintaining 120fps, which takes more power. So, if you have a high frequency monitor, you need more powerful hardware for the optimum experience, because the optimum experience is a lot higher than with a 60Hz monitor. It's not because you need more power to get the same performance.

Some people get confused and think it means your performance goes down when you have a high frequency monitor, the guy in the video seems to have mis-spoken with that.

It's like if you have a glass and you fill it with water to the top. It is 100% full. If you get a glass twice as large and poor the water into it instead, that one will only be 50% full. But some people get confused and start saying if you get a bigger glass you'll lose water. Yes you need more water if you want to fill it up all the way, but it's not because you lost water it's because you can fit twice as much.

If you have a 60Hz monitor, to take full advantage of it you want a computer capable of maintaining 60fps. If you have a 120Hz monitor then to take full advantage of it you want a computer capable of maintaining 120fps, which takes more power. So, if you have a high frequency monitor, you need more powerful hardware for the optimum experience, because the optimum experience is a lot higher than with a 60Hz monitor. It's not because you need more power to get the same performance.

Some people get confused and think it means your performance goes down when you have a high frequency monitor, the guy in the video seems to have mis-spoken with that.

It's like if you have a glass and you fill it with water to the top. It is 100% full. If you get a glass twice as large and poor the water into it instead, that one will only be 50% full. But some people get confused and start saying if you get a bigger glass you'll lose water. Yes you need more water if you want to fill it up all the way, but it's not because you lost water it's because you can fit twice as much.

Ooo, so he was talking about the refresh rate as FPS! So basicly you cant maintain higher fps in high settings! I get it now, but that is really mis-spoken by him... cuz higher refresh rate doesnt mean that you HAVE to play with higher fps.. you can play with 60 fps on 60Hz and on 144Hz monitor... so what he should have said is that you cant fully take advantage of the higher refresh rate monitors! 

Thank you for the answer :)