BBCode Media Embedding Question

GodSpoon

So I've noticed some BB code embedded media types will work on the forum, but say a spotify embed code doesn't want to post

I assume there is like a whitelist for the media bbcode or something along those lines possibly?

But the embedded spotify player will pull up when I paste the code, but disappears in the actual post

q5ublNh.png

Anyone know why this is? Or can confirm the whitelist thing I mentioned earlier?

Can you post the code for the Spotify embed? It may be showing part of the code correctly. 

EDIT: After a quick search, I can only find add-ons to enable BBCode Spotify embedding. Looks like it's just not supported in IP.Board's BBCode without adding it in. 

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:4lkq5v8nVr5feDwYWCDjwr" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Its a dev widget for embedding 

If you do it with the media syntax it renders but doesnt post

That would make sense though if it just wasn't supported by IPB's BBCode, I just find it odd that it renders there and "works" before you post it

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:4lkq5v8nVr5feDwYWCDjwr" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Its a dev widget for embedding 

If you do it with the media syntax it renders but doesnt post

That would make sense though if it just wasn't supported by IPB's BBCode, I just find it odd that it renders there and "works" before you post it

It also happens with images that don't end in the normal .jpg .png and so on, but have something else at the end. It will show up in box, but when you go to post it, it says it's not supported. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone embed an audio file on the forum before, but I cannot get it to work. @colonel_mortis is probably the one to talk to. Not sure if it was an old feature, or I'm just imagining things, but I've never been able to work out how to do it. 

It also happens with images that don't end in the normal .jpg .png and so on, but have something else at the end. It will show up in box, but when you go to post it, it says it's not supported. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone embed an audio file on the forum before, but I cannot get it to work. @colonel_mortis is probably the one to talk to. Not sure if it was an old feature, or I'm just imagining things, but I've never been able to work out how to do it. 

Interesting, thanks for your help. Perhaps Colonel might have a better understanding 

Spotify embedding, as well as any other arbitrary embed code, isn't supported. I can't reproduce it converting into an embedded player in the editor at all - can you paste exactly what you typed to make it embed, into a code tag so it doesn't mess up when posted?

HTTP/2 203

Spotify embedding, as well as any other arbitrary embed code, isn't supported. I can't reproduce it converting into an embedded player in the editor at all - can you paste exactly what you typed to make it embed, into a code tag so it doesn't mess up when posted?

[media]<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:2r4a3PREYIRF2QdbcPnrEO" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>[/media]

I have to use the Media BBCode in the Dropdown to get it to embed at all in the preview, just typing tags won't get a preview :P

[media]<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:2r4a3PREYIRF2QdbcPnrEO" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>[/media]

I have to use the Media BBCode in the Dropdown to get it to embed at all in the preview, just typing tags won't get a preview :P

I'm not really a code person, but that's HTML, right? It doesn't work for posting on the forum, only for developing and embedding into the page. 

Looks like that's a bug with the way media tags are handled when entered from that dropdown.

HTTP/2 203

Looks like that's a bug with the way media tags are handled when entered from that dropdown.

So its not supported whatsoever? Its just a glitch because of how the tags handle that input? :P

And Oshino Shinobu Yes it is HTML but from what I understand BBCode is just an implementation of HTML regardless

So its not supported whatsoever? Its just a glitch because of how the tags handle that input? :P

And Oshino Shinobu Yes it is HTML but from what I understand BBCode is just an implementation of HTML regardless

Correct. If we allowed arbitary embedding, that could present be a serious security vulnerability in the worst case, and undesirable effects in others.

HTTP/2 203

Correct. If we allowed arbitary embedding, that could present be a serious security vulnerability in the worst case, and undesirable effects in others.

Ah understood! Thank you for the clarification :) 

Although out of curiosity, is there any supported way to embed audio into a forum post other than a bulky youtube video? 

MP3s will work if you just paste the URL, ending in .mp3, into the editor. If it's not working, surround it with a tag.

HTTP/2 203