Is the 6700K a good upgrade from a 4770K?

vong

As the title says, I'm sick of my current pc. Got an overclockable cpu and the damn motherboard isn't allowing a stable overclock, can't even get 4.0ghz stable so I'm stuck with stock speeds...

I can see a new generation of cpu's coming out about Q3 2015, should I wait or upgrade soon?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

For me 4770K is still very good processor. You will not notice any significant difference in performance.

Get new mobo for Your current CPU (MSI, Asus EVGA) with Z97 chipset.

Sorry for my low english, but I'm trying my best  ;)

| MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 || CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K || COOLER: Thermaltake HR-02 Macho Rev. B || RAM: 2x Patriot Signature DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 || GPU: Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI Oc || PSU: Ocz StealthXStream 2 600W || STORAGE: Segate Barracuda 1 TB || CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R | 

Just do it

My Rig: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I vote for wait 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

For me 4770K is still very good processor. You will not notice any significant difference in performance.
Get new mobo for Your current CPU (MSI, Asus EVGA) with Z97 chipset.

Yeah, no doubts that it's still a good cpu.

Not much available for the Z97 chipset here, not going MSI again either as this motherboard gives me the shits.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

You won't notice much of a performance increase imo so not worth it. The i7 4770k is still a very good processor.

If it bothers you to no end that you can't overclock it due to the mobo, then why not replace the mobo?

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Yeah, no doubts that it's still a good cpu.

Not much available for the Z97 chipset here, not going MSI again either as this motherboard gives me the shits.

What is Your budget for MOBO?

And yes. Msi Mobos aren't that good *looks at his old which lies in a corner :) (I'm not saying they are all bad)

| MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 || CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K || COOLER: Thermaltake HR-02 Macho Rev. B || RAM: 2x Patriot Signature DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 || GPU: Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI Oc || PSU: Ocz StealthXStream 2 600W || STORAGE: Segate Barracuda 1 TB || CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R | 

What is Your budget for MOBO?

And yes. Msi Mobos aren't that good *looks at his old which lies in a corner :) (I'm not saying they are all bad)

Well I honestly don't want to spend a huge amount and end up with another gimp motherboard but the only one I've really got my eye on is the Asus Sabertooth Mark S and that's $500au. There's not many other brands available other than MSI (sigh..).

Well I honestly don't want to spend a huge amount and end up with another gimp motherboard but the only one I've really got my eye on is the Asus Sabertooth Mark S and that's $500au. There's not many other brands available other than MSI (sigh..).

Mar S is superb mobo. Heres link to PcPartPicker > Asus Sabertooth Mark S

Also check out my list:

Asus Z97 Deluxe/USB 3.1

Asus Z97 Deluxe

Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1

Oh and also Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1

Speaking from experience, the ASUS Z97-A is superb and doesn't blow the bank like the deluxe if you don't need all the extra bells and whistles.  Only downside is the PCB being brown... but it's hardly noticeable unless your case has really bright interior lighting.  But you should be good with any of the ASUS boards spec'd and priced above as well.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I think I'll pickup another Maximus VII Hero for $300. Got one for the lounge PC and have had zero problems.

No, its not.

6700k has just 3% performance increase than the 4790k

Although skylake has other benefits like DDR4 support. More PCIE lanes and also more instructions per cycle because its at 4ghz.

Other than if you're expecting at a great performance increase, let me be clear, You won't get it.

As the title says, I'm sick of my current pc. Got an overclockable cpu and the damn motherboard isn't allowing a stable overclock, can't even get 4.0ghz stable so I'm stuck with stock speeds...

I can see a new generation of cpu's coming out about Q3 2015, should I wait or upgrade soon?

How do you know it's the boards problem and not the CPU or something else?

Have you tested the CPU in other boards to rule the board out as the issue?

No, its not.

6700k has just 3% performance increase than the 4790k

Although skylake has other benefits like DDR4 support. More PCIE lanes and also more instructions per cycle because its at 4ghz.

Other than if you're expecting at a great performance increase, let me be clear, You won't get it.

It's a bit more than 3%, a quick look at the Cinebench thread on LTT will tell you that.  It's more like 5-10%, which isn't a big jump, but it's also a brand new platform with more features & updated products.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No, if I were you I'd wait until you can get at least a 6-core or intel makes serious ipc improvements.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

In titles where the CPU is the bottleneck there can be a 20%  improvement from Haswell to Skylake. DigitalFoundry has a good video on it:

However its much cheaper from where you are to overclock your existing system. Its pretty unlikely the motherboard is that limiting in terms of overclocking to that extent, they can be an issue at the upper end of the overclock but these sorts of low levels they typically aren't. Odds are you have missed something important on how to overclock on this board and its limiting making progress.

How do you know it's the boards problem and not the CPU or something else?

Have you tested the CPU in other boards to rule the board out as the issue?

It's a bit more than 3%, a quick look at the Cinebench thread on LTT will tell you that.  It's more like 5-10%, which isn't a big jump, but it's also a brand new platform with more features & updated products.

Yes exactly, that much isn't a big jump but the overall updates available may change someones mind if they're getting a new pc. However if you're upgrading, then don't.