Newegg overseas refund

Rebyul
Go to solution Solved by Dredgy,

@Rebyul. Courier would still use the cheapest option.

And yes it's meant to exclude shipping and handling but sometimes foreign retailers trying to comply with our laws include the postage in their declaration value - I know this happens to me every now and then from B&HPhoto (though they take the customs charge at checkout time now and handle it all themselves).

So long as it hasn't been overlooked, you'll just have to be patient.

Hey guys.

I live all the way over in New Zealand and I ordered a evga 980ti ftw edition in AUD for $964 AUD back in September but it got lost in shipping and ended up in Melbourne (I ordered it to Sydney).

So I asked for a Classified edition which only costs $1 extra, but due to communication delays I wasn't going to be in Australia by the time they sent a new one, so I asked for a refund.

So they said that it would take some time, but I still haven't received a refund (it's not November...)

The last time I contacted them, they said it would take 6~8 weeks for the refund to be processed.

Does anybody know why it takes them so long?

Also my second question is, the Australian tax limit for overseas purchases is $1000 AUD dollars.

However, my item was less than $1000 dollars and I was charged an estimate Customs and handling tax.

I asked if I was going to get this refunded, but they insisted that the calculations were correct.

Here's the invoice of the item: http://puu.sh/lpQ6k/932ce57517.png

And here's my source for the $1000 threshold http://www.border.gov.au/Dutyratesandtaxes/Documents/lowvalueimportthresholdenhancedcampaignreport-published14jun11.pdf

Thanks for reading.

Dealing with International banks plus whatever procedures they have in place takes time and costs money. They will be doing it the cheapest way possible, trying to avoid conversion fees and all that with their banks. Blue they have to have the parcel physically returned to them from Melbourne at their expense. They aren't going to be doing that express. 

For the second part, if it's under $1000 you shouldn't be charged import duty. However, shipping and handling is usually included in this. So if it was $964+$40 shipping, then that's $1004 you sent overseas and have to pay duty on. If it was $964 total then you shouldn't have to pay anything.

I'm pretty sure the courier company would have to pay for the return shipping as it was their fault (unless someone at Newegg wrote the wrong address on my item, then that's a shame).

I've done a lot of research into the customs tax threshold and here's a source which states that the $1000 threshold is specifically the price of the good excluding the shipping costs.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Australia/

Puush link for those who just want the image: http://puu.sh/lpRVk/3b0b4d6360.png

Customer service has insisted that it's still calculated correctly, and I have further raised this to their accounts department which they haven't come back to me for about a month or so now.

I have sent an email asking for the status of my refund and question to the accounts department, along with the sources I have provided here and they have ignored my question about the customs tax and only responded with the 'its gona take 6~8 weeks' reply.

@Rebyul. Courier would still use the cheapest option.

And yes it's meant to exclude shipping and handling but sometimes foreign retailers trying to comply with our laws include the postage in their declaration value - I know this happens to me every now and then from B&HPhoto (though they take the customs charge at checkout time now and handle it all themselves).

So long as it hasn't been overlooked, you'll just have to be patient.