TheBudi114
  • AMD A6 6400K
  • MSI A68HM-E33 V2
  • Kingston 4GB DDR3 Value RAM
  • 2 x WD Blue 500GB
  • Cooler Master N200
  • SeaSonic M12II-520 EVO

Just a basic budget NAS.....

Pretty sure the processor chosen can handle being a NAS right?

Im from Malaysia..... Wooooo!!! The land where 1 USD is 4.33 MYR...

PCPartPicker wont do for me...  :(

here's where I do my searching for stuff (Local Market and prices are in MYR): Lelong.my

Budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.09 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.09 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $386.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-18 00:12 EST-0500

1tb isn't very much storage for a nas.

sold

Budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($49.00 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Adorama)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $386.31

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-18 00:12 EST-0500

1tb isn't very much storage for a nas.

Those aren't really NAS drives...

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Those aren't really NAS drives...

But nor are WD blue

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

But nor are WD blue

Yeah, I saw that. RAIDing WD blues or the barracudas would most likely cause problems.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Using non-nas drives for non mission critical stuff is not a big deal.

I have two 2 5400 rpm samsung desktop drives in RAID 1 in mine (in addition to others). I have 3 systems backing up to them every 15 minutes for the past 4 years, with zero problems. 

If he has two 500GB drives, more than likely he doesnt have the money for WD RED or HGST NAS drives. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

~snip~

Hey there TheBudi114,

One small note from me:
When building a NAS it is a good idea to use NAS/RAID class drives regardless if you are putting the drives in a RAID array or not. These drives have additional features (such as TLER) that enable them to work safer and smoother with much lower chances of failing or corrupting the data. WD Blue would work but I would recommend checking out WD Red: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=v7L0s2

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Says who?  I have three 1TB Barracudas in what is essentially a JBOD array and they're doing fine...  If the array isn't being hammered 24/7, desktop drives will work perfectly well.  I mean, if they're good enough for a boot / OS drive, why can't they work in a NAS?

Yeah, I saw that. RAIDing WD blues or the barracudas would most likely cause problems.

What OS are you planning on using? Many of the NAS OS's require or strongly suggest that you run ECC memory.

Hey there TheBudi114,

One small note from me:
When building a NAS it is a good idea to use NAS/RAID class drives regardless if you are putting the drives in a RAID array or not. These drives have additional features (such as TLER) that enable them to work safer and smoother with much lower chances of failing or corrupting the data. WD Blue would work but I would recommend checking out WD Red: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=v7L0s2

Captain_WD.

I ran into this a few years back when I tried to RAID 5 some WD Blacks. I forget exactly how it works, but the blacks have a protocol enabled that essentially drops a couple bits if there's an error, which is fine for most uses, except when it's in a RAID array and all of a sudden the RAID controller thinks there was data corruption on the entire array and fires a rebuild request. Before I reconfigured it into a RAID 10, I think that sucker flagged for rebuild like once every 1-2 days. Marginally annoying.

I ran into this a few years back when I tried to RAID 5 some WD Blacks. I forget exactly how it works, but the blacks have a protocol enabled that essentially drops a couple bits if there's an error, which is fine for most uses, except when it's in a RAID array and all of a sudden the RAID controller thinks there was data corruption on the entire array and fires a rebuild request. Before I reconfigured it into a RAID 10, I think that sucker flagged for rebuild like once every 1-2 days. Marginally annoying.

Pretty much the non RAID ready drives (Reds, Red Pro, and the enterprise line) have a feature called  TLER. When the drive finds an error, TLER limits how long the drive has to fix the error before giving up and telling the controller, hey, there's an error. The other consumer drives will take their time to try to fix the error (since they aren't meant to have a RAID controller operating them) and so the RAID controller will see that the drive is taking too long to respond and assume it's dead. I think what RAID controller / software you has also dictates how strict the RAID controller is on kicking them out of the array. I know my LSI MegaRAID controller is quite strict on it.

Pretty much the non RAID ready drives (Reds, Red Pro, and the enterprise line) have a feature called  TLER. When the drive finds an error, TLER limits how long the drive has to fix the error before giving up and telling the controller, hey, there's an error. The other consumer drives will take their time to try to fix the error (since they aren't meant to have a RAID controller operating them) and so the RAID controller will see that the drive is taking too long to respond and assume it's dead. I think what RAID controller / software you has also dictates how strict the RAID controller is on kicking them out of the array. I know my LSI MegaRAID controller is quite strict on it.

Yep, that's what I recall now from that article. Nightmare. They've worked flawlessly in RAID 10 tho. :)

What OS are you planning on using? Many of the NAS OS's require or strongly suggest that you run ECC memory.

ECC ram makes no difference in the real world. Just run memtest for a few hours per GB of ram and you will be fine.

See http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/ and http://blog.brianmoses.net/2014/03/why-i-chose-non-ecc-ram-for-my-freenas.html

~snip~

Yes, this is exactly why it is always recommended to use NAS/RAID-class drives in such environments. I always mention this to people and point out the higher risks of drive dropouts when using non-RAID drives (regardless if they are reliable high-performance ones or not). 
As @scottyseng explained, NAS/RAID-class drives have additional features in their firmware and hardware that enable them to behave much safer and perform more stable in a RAID array. TLER, additional vibration detection and tolerance, other safety features are all there just to keep the drive going and assure the controller that there's nothing wrong with the drive. :) 
All of this also depends on the controller itself, the type of RAID and the way you are using it, but generally speaking, NAS/RAID drives work with far less problems and with much lower chances of corrupting the data or dropping out of the array. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/