Xiaomi Gemini (Mi 5) appears on Geekbench, will use Snapdragon 820

A device named Xiaomi Gemini has showed up on Geekbench, it's almost certainly the Xiaomi Mi 5. 

The benchmark entry shows that the smartphone is powered by a msm8996 chipset, which is the designation of the Snapdragon 820, it also has 3Gb of RAM and runs Android 6.0

Here's a screenshot of the benchmark:

unZmUTc.jpg

What do you guys think about it?

I am the one who knocks.

Seems really low for the 820.. Universally worse than Samsung's Exynos 7420.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Seems really low for the 820.. Universally worse than Samsung's Exynos 7420.

Not sure what you mean, there are other devices with 820's that perform better? And yes the Samsung processors are still the most powerful (in multi-core).

In comparison:

5kIQVAw.jpg

Samsung S6

gsmarena_002.jpg

I am the one who knocks.

Single-core seems low though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

My thoughts exactly. QM had YEARS to prepary Kyro, im pretty sure they focused on single core performance very much... being barely 25% over A53 doesnt sound pleasant, especially with A72 being shipped soon, samsung doing its own thing, and Typhoon just killing it all. And then there is intel on the horizon...

If this is really Kyro, Qualcomm will suffer a major blow in the next few quarters

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

My thoughts exactly. QM had YEARS to prepary Kyro, im pretty sure they focused on single core performance very much... being barely 25% over A53 doesnt sound pleasant, especially with A72 being shipped soon, samsung doing its own thing, and Typhoon just killing it all. And then there is intel on the horizon...

If this is really Kyro, Qualcomm will suffer a major blow in the next few quarters

It runs at 1.59 Ghz, so I guess it's underclocked.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

It runs at 1.59 Ghz, so I guess it's underclocked.

A9 runs at 1.8GHz. With some fast math, clock for clock Typhoon is still 5 percent faster.... And we've seen Apple not being afraid of high clocks now that they are on a FinFET process.

I really hope Kryo is designed to run at 2.4ish GHz because otherwise, QM will need a better version really damn fast to stay competitive.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

A9 runs at 1.8GHz. With some fast math, clock for clock Typhoon is still 5 percent faster.... And we've seen Apple not being afraid of high clocks now that they are on a FinFET process.

I really hope Kryo is designed to run at 2.4ish GHz because otherwise, QM will need a better version really damn fast to stay competitive.

Given the SD 805 runs at 2.7GHz and the SD 810 at 2.0Ghz (because of the ineffecient 20nm manufacturing process), I'm pretty sure they can push the 820 well above 2.0 Ghz thanks to FinFET.

The thing is, after the SD 810 backlash, they may want to underclock it a little bit to avoid any throttling or heat problems. After all the SD 801 was just a higher clocked SD 800 (2.5Ghz instead of 2.3Ghz).

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Given the SD 805 runs at 2.7GHz and the SD 810 at 2.0Ghz (because of the ineffecient 20nm manufacturing process), I'm pretty sure they can push the 820 well above 2.0 Ghz thanks to FinFET.

The thing is, after the SD 810 backlash, they may want to underclock it a little bit to avoid any throttling or heat problems. After all the SD 801 was just a higher clocked SD 800 (2.5Ghz instead of 2.3Ghz).

Yes but with FF, you cant clock chips as high as planar processes anymore.

Damn, Xiaomi is really going at it. They make pretty interesting products and that's why they are making a name for themselves.

Can't wait to see a Xiaomi Nexus, (hopefully it doesn't bend!)

IMHO: who gives a shit. Is the Samsung multi core faster? Yes. What phone has shit battery life? The Samsung. As long as the UI doesn't lag and it has low power consumption, who cares if the Samsung, it's hot if you use it and has a potato battery, benches slightly higher.

Apple got it right, as long as the user experience is good, the numbers don't matter.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

IMHO: who gives a shit. Is the Samsung multi core faster? Yes. What phone has shit battery life? The Samsung. As long as the UI doesn't lag and it has low power consumption, who cares if the Samsung, it's hot if you use it and has a potato battery, benches slightly higher.

Apple got it right, as long as the user experience is good, the numbers don't matter.

That i agree with, but historically QM likes to use their cores for a few generations. In general user tasks it of course wont matter if its Kyro or a haswell core. But that doesnt mean we dont need more performance. You want faster cores because that means more idle time, meaning better battery usage. (among other things, with VR going to phones)...

And when your core is barely competitive even before it launches, and you like to keep your cores for a while, it spells no good for competitiveness in a few years.

Also i dont understand what you mean by shit battery life. Samsung is currently the only Android provider with a 14nm (well kinda 14, not really) SOC, which draws MUCH less power than any other chip out there. If their batteries dont last as long, its not the SOC's fault. 

That i agree with, but historically QM likes to use their cores for a few generations. In general user tasks it of course wont matter if its Kyro or a haswell core. But that doesnt mean we dont need more performance. You want faster cores because that means more idle time, meaning better battery usage. (among other things, with VR going to phones)...

And when your core is barely competitive even before it launches, and you like to keep your cores for a while, it spells no good for competitiveness in a few years.

Also i dont understand what you mean by shit battery life. Samsung is currently the only Android provider with a 14nm (well kinda 14, not really) SOC, which draws MUCH less power than any other chip out there. If their batteries dont last as long, its not the SOC's fault. 

I agree with you on the core performance but wasn't the 820 supposed to clocked higher than this said?

While the exynos 7420 benches really high, the S6 has rather poor battery life. A friend of mine has one that's rather warm at any time during use. If i had to guess, I would believe the octa core setup on the 7420 is fast yet power hungry. Unless there's better documentation of power consumption. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I agree with you on the core performance but wasn't the 820 supposed to clocked higher than this said?

While the exynos 7420 benches really high, the S6 has rather poor battery life. A friend of mine has one that's rather warm at any time during use. If i had to guess, I would believe the octa core setup on the 7420 is fast yet power hungry. Unless there's better documentation of power consumption. 

How does it compare to the Helio X10 present in the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3?

I am the one who knocks.

How is that low? Multi-core seems low, single-core looks high.

A9 runs at 1.8GHz and it's only a bit faster than a 4 core running at 1.6 GHz...

How does it compare to the Helio X10 present in the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3?

MX5 with X10
Meizu-MX5-Geekbench-results.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

A9 runs at 1.8GHz and it's only a bit faster than a 4 core running at 1.6 GHz...

MX5 with X10

i was talking single core performance if i recall corectly. 

i was talking single core performance if i recall corectly. 

Yes. 2500 vs 2100 with higher clockspeed and from a dual core, which probably has larger cores too, as in more transistors.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes. 2500 vs 2100 with higher clockspeed and from a dual core, which probably has larger cores too, as in more transistors.

not really a given. in any case Kyro seems like nothing groundbreaking, and hence not something that will help QM in any tangible way

not really a given. in any case Kyro seems like nothing groundbreaking, and hence not something that will help QM in any tangible way

Who needs groundbreaking though. What we really need is processor that is power efficient and doesn't burn your hands. Like 801 was.

Spoiler

Who needs groundbreaking though. What we really need is processor that is power efficient and doesn't burn your hands. Like 801 was.

that is what we need. What the public wants is Snapdragon! now with 30% more dragon!

that is what we need. What the public wants is Snapdragon! now with 30% more dragon!

you might be onto something here.

Spoiler

you might be onto something here.

IDK people say im smart... :P

MX5 with X10
Meizu-MX5-Geekbench-results.jpg

Wow, that multi-core score is pretty nice. 

I am the one who knocks.