MSI or Asus cards?

+Puma+

Wow, the misinformation here

Team Green or Red? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The thing is that your just NOT going to have any issues with the GTX 750 TI, you just won't.

If you don't have a powerful PSU, AMD cards will start to do some unwanted things. If you go for AMD just make sure you have necessary case cooling and a powerful PSU and you'll be good.

You're saying things that are not true. A stereotype created by R9 290/290X reference-style cards.

Not all AMD GPUs are hot and power hungry for god's sake. It's true R9 290X can get hot, but that doesn't mean anything, you just need to find a model with a good cooling like Sapphire Vapor-X which doesn't go much over 70 degrees. Oh, the R9 290X draws a lot of power? Yeah it is a power hungry card. That doesn't mean Nvidia didn't make cards like that, remember GTX 780Ti? It draws only around 30W less than a 290X with overall draw a little under 300W, they were released around the same time, nobody bashed Nvidia for that.

AS I HAVE SAID MULTIPLE TIMES NOW, I WILL GET THE TWO GTX 960'S OVER THE SUGGESTED AMD CARDS BECAUSE THEY PRODUCE A FRACTION OF THE HEAT(WHICH DOES INCREASE LONGEVITY OF THE PARTS ON THE CARD) AND ITS ALSO TAKES A FRACTION OF THE POWER, AND THE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE ISN'T AS HUGE AS YOU MAKE IT OUT TO BE. THIS PREMIUM IS WORTH IT TO ME FOR THESE REASONS AND ONCE AGAIN THE NVIDIA MICRO-ARCHITECTURE IS MUCH, MUCH NEWER. I DO NOT WISH TO HAVE TO BUY A NEW PSU, CASE, AND FANS JUST TO ACCOMMODATE A GPU, IT IS NOT WORTH IT TO ME. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL REPEAT MYSELF!

Alright, it's your money, get the 960's. I'll just correct the things you're wrong about:

1. "THEY PRODUCE A FRACTION OF THE HEAT(WHICH DOES INCREASE LONGEVITY OF THE PARTS ON THE CARD)" The 380's are made of parts, that do not lose durability cause of the temperatures these cards can achieve. They are specifically made to not lose any longevity.

2. "THEY PRODUCE A FRACTION OF THE HEAT" , "ITS ALSO TAKES A FRACTION OF THE POWER" What makes you think that? Fanboyism? Here is how I disprove this:

1438546916Of29CB4aP6_11_1.gif CAUSE 50 WATTS IS SO WORTH 15% LESS PERFORMANCE <3 1438546916Of29CB4aP6_11_2.gif  OH LOOK, THE R9 380 IS ACTUALLY COOLER THAN A 960, A MIRACLE!

And finally, 3. You do not need any extra fans or anything, if your case can support a 960 in SLI, it can support 380's in Crossfire. All you need to have is adequate PSU, but if you already have one that can power two 960's it's going to most likely handle two 380's as well.

Do not post statements that are false cause you're either biased or too lazy to research yourself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You're saying things that are not true. A stereotype created by R9 290/290X reference-style cards.

Not all AMD GPUs are hot and power hungry for god's sake. It's true R9 290X can get hot, but that doesn't mean anything, you just need to find a model with a good cooling like Sapphire Vapor-X which doesn't go much over 70 degrees. Oh, the R9 290X draws a lot of power? Yeah it is a power hungry card. That doesn't mean Nvidia didn't make cards like that, remember GTX 780Ti? It draws only around 30W less than a 290X with overall draw a little under 300W, they were released around the same time, nobody bashed Nvidia for that.

Alright, it's your money, get the 960's. I'll just correct the things you're wrong about:

1. "THEY PRODUCE A FRACTION OF THE HEAT(WHICH DOES INCREASE LONGEVITY OF THE PARTS ON THE CARD)" The 380's are made of parts, that do not lose durability cause of the temperatures the card can achieve. They are specifically made to not lose any longevity.

2. "THEY PRODUCE A FRACTION OF THE HEAT" , "ITS ALSO TAKES A FRACTION OF THE POWER" What makes you think that? Fanboyism? Here is how I disprove this:

1438546916Of29CB4aP6_11_1.gif CAUSE 50 WATTS IS SO WORTH 15% LESS PERFORMANCE <3 1438546916Of29CB4aP6_11_2.gif  OH LOOK, THE R9 380 IS ACTUALLY COOLER THAN A 960, A MIRACLE!

And finally, 3. You do not need any extra fans and anything, if your case can support a 960 in SLI, it can support 380's in Crossfire. All you need to have is adequate PSU, but if you already have one that can power two 960's it's going to most likely handle two 380's as well.

Do not post statements that are false cause you're either biased or too lazy to research yourself.

But what you have been avoiding is that there still is a premium, and me as well as many other people are willing to pay that...

If you think there are teams, that would be a big hint as to the problem.

I should change my nickname to "Your Savior" and redeem the lost souls of some people on this forum.

I was originally looking at Nvida cards, but it seems that at this pricepoint AMD's got everything in the bag. Might have to go over to the red team for a season O_O. And just to confirm (always nice to have someone who already knows before you start your research all over again :) )  290 > 380, or so it seems. Might still go with the 750 Ti and get a keyboard or something, especially because it seems the 750 Ti is so recommended. 

I know it might be a while, but if any of you find anything (or have an old card you wanna bro deal me on ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) Let me know. Or if you have any other suggestions.....

AMD current lineup is more convincing than Nvidia's in most price points (not all, obviously), R9 290 >>>>>> R9 380, it's an older card but it's a significantly more powerful card. But just cause it's older, doesn't mean that it's worse, it's better. Just be sure to look for ones with a good cooling, (2-3 fans versions, never the 1 fan one).

I wouldn't recommend getting a 750Ti right now, it's not going to last for a long period of time :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

But what you have been avoiding is that there still is a premium, and me as well as many other people are willing to pay that...

You're driving me INSANE. THERE IS NO PREMIUM, JUST LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Click the link, all 960's and 380's together, sorted by price from min. to max. : http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=208,310&sort=a8&page=1

THE 380'S COST EXACTLY THE SAME AS 960'S, BOTH 2GB and 4GB VERSIONS, Jesus christ. The R9 380 was released later than a 960 and it turned out to be a much better choice for the money, so there's no point in getting a 960 UNLESS you're going to be using one of the very few, specific features from Nvidia. They're so insignificant as for right now, that there's no good reason to buy a GTX 960. It's terrible price/performance wise.

Should I get the Asus GTX 960 or the MSI GTX 960?

I know MSI has the Twin Frozr 5 but Asus has fully automated assembly so I know some strange Chinese man won't screw up the assembly. What other qualities are there in the two card brands that may make one better than the other.

MSI Cards are a lot better than the ASUS and do not get the GTX 960 you can get better AMD cards for the price.

I should change my nickname to "Jesus of Sanity" and redeem souls of some lost people on this forum.

AMD current lineup is more convincing than Nvidia's in most price points (not all, obviously), R9 290 >>>>>> R9 380, it's an older card but it's a significantly more powerful card. But just cause it's older, doesn't mean that it's worse, it's better. Just be sure to look for ones with a good cooling, (2-3 fans versions, never the 1 fan one).

I wouldn't recommend getting a 750Ti right now, it's not going to last for a long period of time :)

Any particular model/brand you recommend for each of the 290 and the 380? So that I can know what to keep an eye out for?

My PC
Spoiler

Starry Night:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus | RAM: 32 GB GSkill DDR4 2133 MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition | Case: NZXT H440 | Storage: Crucial MX300 M.2 | PSU: Corsair RMx 750 | Display(s): Dell S2417DG 2560X1440, Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH) | Cooling: NXZT Kraken x61 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Mouse: Logitech M500 | Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500 | Operating System: Windows 10

Tyrosine:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale"   Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L   RAM: 4 GB DDR2 400 MHz   GPU Power Color R9 380 4GB   Case: Antec with Blue light and over 9000 fans, and 9000 lbs   Storage: Samsung Evo 850 + 600 GB HDD   PSU: Corsair VX 550 W   Display(s): Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH)   Cooling: Did I mention the case?   Keyboard: Logitech K350   Mouse: Logitech M500   Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500  Operating System: Windows 7 on Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on Laptop and everything else

Kids, do drugs, the science way! Note:

Spoiler

I am involved in computational medicinal chemistry research and am interested in pharmaceuticals as a researcher, in no way do I endorse the taking of the drugs. Never.

Any particular model/brand you recommend for each of the 290 and the 380? So that I can know what to keep an eye out for?

Basically Sapphire, MSI, XFX, Powercolor are the brands you can trust with AMD cards. Remember to avoid cards that look like that:

ASUS-Brings-Out-a-Reference-Radeon-R9-29

Their cooling is insufficient and they make a lot of noise. Look for something that looks like this:

R9290Tri-X_mini.jpg

If you're in the states you might *cough* find someone *cough* with a Vapor-x they're willing to sell *cough*

If anyone asks you never saw me.

One thing to add. A pc is as efficient in outputting heat as a regular space heater. If you care about heat output of the card look at the wattage, not card temperature. For a 300w card just assume you have a 300w heater in your case

To repeat myself, once again: performance isn't the only thing that matters to many people.

One thing to add. A pc is as efficient in outputting heat as a regular space heater. If you care about heat output of the card look at the wattage, not card temperature. For a 300w card just assume you have a 300w heater in your case

GOD DO I KNOW, fucking goddam heat. 

If you're in the states you might *cough* find someone *cough* with a Vapor-x they're willing to sell *cough*

How *cough* much might you be looking for *cough cough* said card??

My PC
Spoiler

Starry Night:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus | RAM: 32 GB GSkill DDR4 2133 MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition | Case: NZXT H440 | Storage: Crucial MX300 M.2 | PSU: Corsair RMx 750 | Display(s): Dell S2417DG 2560X1440, Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH) | Cooling: NXZT Kraken x61 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Mouse: Logitech M500 | Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500 | Operating System: Windows 10

Tyrosine:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale"   Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L   RAM: 4 GB DDR2 400 MHz   GPU Power Color R9 380 4GB   Case: Antec with Blue light and over 9000 fans, and 9000 lbs   Storage: Samsung Evo 850 + 600 GB HDD   PSU: Corsair VX 550 W   Display(s): Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH)   Cooling: Did I mention the case?   Keyboard: Logitech K350   Mouse: Logitech M500   Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500  Operating System: Windows 7 on Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on Laptop and everything else

Spoiler

I am involved in computational medicinal chemistry research and am interested in pharmaceuticals as a researcher, in no way do I endorse the taking of the drugs. Never.

You're driving me INSANE. THERE IS NO PREMIUM, JUST LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Click the link, all 960's and 380's together, sorted by price from min. to max. : http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=208,310&sort=a8&page=1

THE 380'S COST EXACTLY THE SAME AS 960'S, BOTH 2GB and 4GB VERSIONS, Jesus christ. The R9 380 was released later than a 960 and it turned out to be a much better choice for the money, so there's no point in getting a 960 UNLESS you're going to be using one of the very few, specific features from Nvidia. They're so insignificant as for right now, that there's no good reason to buy a GTX 960. It's terrible price/performance wise.

JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS. I understand that the AMD card has better performance. But the Nvidia card still stays cooler and takes less power, significantly less power. I am willing to have the inconvenience of 5-7 less FPS but not the inconvenience of having a hot, inefficient system while my current system runs extremely cool. I understand that many people are willing to take the inconvenience, but I am not, and I don't really play anything intensive like BF4 and Crysis 3. I usually don't max out my 750 TI! I am not very concerned about performance since because whether or not I buy a R9 280, R9 290, R9 290X, R9 380, R9 390, R9 390X, a 970, 960, 980 I AM STILL NEVER GOING TO MAX IT OUT. The variable of performance is null in my situation as long as I don't go lower than a 960 or 280. Therefor, that leaves other things such as heat output and power efficiency, and when in you take performance out of the equation, that just leaves Nvidia with better cooling and power efficiency. Don't you get it? People buying mid-tier Nvidia GPU's are choosing them over Nvidia because they don't NEED any more performance, and as I said, that makes the Nvidia card superior to THEM AND IN THIS SITUATION. Not everyone's games they play is juts a pit-less holes of performance. There's are reason why Nvidia stay's in business, and I just explained it to you

JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS. I understand that the AMD card has better performance. But the Nvidia card still stays cooler and takes less power, significantly less power. I am willing to have the inconvenience of 5-7 less FPS but not the inconvenience of having a hot, inefficient system while my current system runs extremely cool. I understand that many people are willing to take the inconvenience, but I am not, and I don't really play anything intensive like BF4 and Crysis 3. I usually don't max out my 750 TI! I am not very concerned about performance since because whether or not I buy a R9 280, R9 290, R9 290X, R9 380, R9 390, R9 390X, a 970, 960, 980 I AM STILL NEVER GOING TO MAX IT OUT. The variable of performance is null in my situation as long as I don't go lower than a 960 or 280. Therefor, that leaves other things such as heat output and power efficiency, and when in you take performance out of the equation, that just leaves Nvidia with better cooling and power efficiency. Don't you get it? People buying mid-tier Nvidia GPU's are choosing them over Nvidia because they don't NEED any more performance, and as I said, that makes the Nvidia card superior to THEM AND IN THIS SITUATION. Not everyone's games they play is juts a pit-less holes of performance. There's are reason why Nvidia stay's in business, and I just explained it to you

Okay, it's your money dude. If you want to buy basically the worst price/performance ratio card on the market, and SLI it, despite it being a mid tier card, which is never worth it, then do so.

As I just proved to you, the R9 380 actually can run cooler than a GTX 960. True, it outputs a little more heat into your room and draws 50W of power more. These differences are seriously negligible and not worth 10-15% of performance.

I wanted to help you choose the best for your bang as I clearly know more than you about the topic. If you "don't usually max out your 750Ti" then why do you want to SLI the 960's??? One would be more than enough according to you, and two result in more heat, higher power draw and you clearly care about those things? You're contradicting yourself, that's why talking to you is hard.

Seriously, did you not look at the slide, the 380 IS COOLER THAN THE 960. It barely draws more power than the 960, in the end that will equate to next to nothing in increased energy costs.

As it stands there's no reason for you to buy the 960, your blatant fanboyesm is insufferable and there's no way you can try and hide it.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

R9 380 is 10-15% faster than a 960 - good 380s run cooler than 960s since the 960's coolers are retardedly underbuilt - the Asus Strix one is the same found on the 750 Ti more or less. The 128-bit bus is also a massive bottleneck. Do yourself a favor and get a R9 380 - if you really want to save 10 cents a month, then buy a 960 and enjoy playing on medium settings as opposed to high-ultra

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You getting rid of the 290? :o

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You getting rid of the 290? :o

Apparently he's not anymore. :(

My PC
Spoiler

Starry Night:

Tyrosine:

Spoiler

Apparently he's not anymore. :(

oh well, check on ebay for used ones :)

Okay, it's your money dude. If you want to buy basically the worst price/performance ratio card on the market, and SLI it, despite it being a mid tier card, which is never worth it, then do so.

As I just proved to you, the R9 380 actually can run cooler than a GTX 960. True, it outputs a little more heat into your room and draws 50W of power more. These differences are seriously negligible and not worth 10-15% of performance.

I wanted to help you choose the best for your bang as I clearly know more than you about the topic. If you "don't usually max out your 750Ti" then why do you want to SLI the 960's??? One would be more than enough according to you, and two result in more heat, higher power draw and you clearly care about those things? You're contradicting yourself, that's why talking to you is hard.

Now I know your just trolling -_- I literally said about 3 times that I DO NOT care about performance, for the reasons I have already said. Raw performance and price to performance is the only thing that makes the 380 better than the GTX 960. And yet, your still arguing about how it is a better bang for your buck and how it is more powerful when I have said that for my situation, those things do not matter very much to me. I am only gaming at 1080p, 60hz, and play things such as War Thunder, TF2, CitySkylines, Portal, and those kinds of things. Whether or not I buy the AMD or Nvidia, I will see no difference in performance because I will not be maxing either card out. That leaves other, smaller things to be considered, such as heat(and yet again, a cooler card lasts longer than a hot card if it has same grade parts) and power consumption. And, considering my budget and needs, a 960 SLI has well over enough performance and some of the best thermals and power efficiency for my price range, which is $450. I have a large budget for the current upgrades I am giving my PC, and buying the card with better thermals and power efficiency is no more of a dent in my budget to me than if I were to buy the cheaper card with better price to performance. And the reason I am not buying an expensive card with better performance and buying a 144hz, 2K monitor like the ROG swift since my budget is fairly large is because I just don't play games that are that demanding, and it would be pointless. There are now no gaps in my argument now, and if you have anything to contradict what I have just said, it is spam, considering how thoroughly I have now explained my situation. I am not doing this because I am incompetent. I am not doing this because I am an Nvidia fanboy. I am not doing this because I am an AMD hater. I am choosing the 960 SLi over the 380 or 290X or whatever other cards you suggested because it fits my situation, budget, and needs the best, and I am sure many people's situation, needs, and budget are much different from mine but that's ok, its just for me, the 960 SLI is the best option while it may not for other people.

Also, for your graphs, heat will start to change with SLI since space will become tight and especially if the other components are rather hot, as in my case. Heat output and actually card temps are completely different. The card could have a massive heat output but still remain cool, or the other way around.

That chinese man builds it with love

and the sweat of his children

Shipping sucks

Now I know your just trolling -_- I literally said about 3 times that I DO NOT care about performance, for the reasons I have already said. Raw performance and price to performance is the only thing that makes the 380 better than the GTX 960. And yet, your still arguing about how it is a better bang for your buck and how it is more powerful when I have said that for my situation, those things do not matter very much to me. I am only gaming at 1080p, 60hz, and play things such as War Thunder, TF2, CitySkylines, Portal, and those kinds of things. Whether or not I buy the AMD or Nvidia, I will see no difference in performance because I will not be maxing either card out. That leaves other, smaller things to be considered, such as heat(and yet again, a cooler card lasts longer than a hot card if it has same grade parts) and power consumption. And, considering my budget and needs, a 960 SLI has well over enough performance and some of the best thermals and power efficiency for my price range, which is $450. I have a large budget for the current upgrades I am giving my PC, and buying the card with better thermals and power efficiency is no more of a dent in my budget to me than if I were to buy the cheaper card with better price to performance. And the reason I am not buying an expensive card with better performance and buying a 144hz, 2K monitor like the ROG swift since my budget is fairly large is because I just don't play games that are that demanding, and it would be pointless. There are now no gaps in my argument now, and if you have anything to contradict what I have just said, it is spam, considering how thoroughly I have now explained my situation. I am not doing this because I am incompetent. I am not doing this because I am an Nvidia fanboy. I am not doing this because I am an AMD hater. I am choosing the 960 SLi over the 380 or 290X or whatever other cards you suggested because it fits my situation, budget, and needs the best, and I am sure many people's situation, needs, and budget are much different from mine but that's ok, its just for me, the 960 SLI is the best option while it may not for other people.

960 SLI? Now I am 100% sure you are crazy :D

Get a 980 or R9 Nano. Seriously - if you WANT efficiency the R9 Nano is king.

I'm sorry, this thread officially gave me cancer. @don_svetlio my faith for his redemption is in you :D

960 SLI? Now I am 100% sure you are crazy :D

Get a 980 or R9 Nano. Seriously - if you WANT efficiency the R9 Nano is king.

Damnit you people are idiots. I DO NOT NEED THE PERFORMANCE OF A 980 OR R9 NANO OR AN R9 FURY, HOW CLEAR MUST I PUT THIS! MY BUDGET IS BIG, BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH THAT I CAN SPEND AN EXTRA $200-$300 IN GRAPHICS AND STILL DO ALL THE OTHER UPGRADES I WISH TO DO.