APU, I am finally a believer

After using an Athlon II X4 and a bulldozer CPU I was seriously upset with AMD until I got my FX-6300.  But now I have an A10-5800K for a customer and it's super amazing!!!  It's very quick with tasking like my FX-6300 and the HD 7660D can play wow on a mix of high/ultra settings @ 1080+ above 30 FPS. Even in 25 man raids I see 25+ but I have to set everything to high and turn SSAO off, shadows down a lil and AF to x4.  But for 110 dollars which is what I got it for to get that kind of CPU and GPU power is AWESOME!!!!  I am using 2x4GB DDR3 1866MHz, but strangely GPU-Z only shows like 768MB allocated to the APU and the bios doesn't let me add more :(

EDIT: I do happen to have an HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 to crossfire with it laying around somewhere, but I did manage to get a 6.9/7.9 WEI on Aero and Gaming, which doesn't mean a lot but for marketing it does xD

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Yeah the apu has only allowance that i dont think it can surpass.. damn haha!

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

My problem with the APUs has always been that the price of fast memory counters what you save by buying it.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I am just so surprised that an APU gives the performance of about a 60 dollar graphics card.  On top of that you get a Quad Core dual module CPU clocked at 3.8GHz.  Granted it's not as strong as an I3 core to core, it still is quick!!

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I got 2x4GB DDR3 1866MHz for 58 dollars on sale xD

Intel already makes APUs technically.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

what i would like to see are high end APUs. something with a power of a 7970. that would be a breakthrough.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Intel already makes APUs technically.

Yes, but I've messed with an I7-3770 for someone with the HD 4,000 graphics and it's nowhere near this APU :(

What is your 1866MHz memory ?

Things will be different once DDR4 come out.

Yes, but I've messed with an I7-3770 for someone with the HD 4,000 graphics and it's nowhere near this APU :(

Intel doesn't likely care about the integrated graphics portion. Even so, with Haswell, they're much closer to AMD's APUs on the graphics side.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

What is your 1866MHz memory ?

Things will be different once DDR4 come out.

Gskill: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 - 15% with a promo code xD

Intel doesn't likely care about the integrated graphics portion. Even so, with Haswell, they're much closer to AMD's APUs on the graphics side.

Yes it's a bit closer but that's only on the I7.  See the thing is Intel's I3's always have very low end graphics compared to the I5's and I7's.

Yeah, if you have an i7 k edition. Kinda stupid to spend that much and get the same sorta performance.

Apus are shitty price to performance... They are bad performers and they cost waaay too much. Give me price of your whole system and I will build a better one with cpu+GPU instead of apu within 100$ margin of error that will perform multiple times as good.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Yes it's a bit closer but that's only on the I7.  See the thing is Intel's I3's always have very low end graphics compared to the I5's and I7's.

That's apparently stopping with Haswell. The i3 will get the same iGPU.

Apus are shitty price to performance... They are bad performers and they cost waaay too much. Give me price of your whole system and I will build a better one with cpu+GPU instead of apu within 100$ margin of error that will perform multiple times as good.

This one is $131.69. You consider that expensive?

This one is $131.69. You consider that expensive?

Price to performance? Yes. How much did you pay for the mobo?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Price to performance? Yes. How much did you pay for the mobo?

You can get one pretty cheap. For instance, this one is $50. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130661

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uLxf

This will outperform the apu GREATLY, and gives you an upgrade option as well.

Fm2 is dead socket if you don't know guys yet. Fm2+ will be required for new APUs.

You can get one pretty cheap. For instance, this one is $50. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130661

While I agree that a pentium with a 7750 will beat an apu it isn't fair to go dissing them. They offer a cheap solution that gives you good graphics and it consumes a little power and produces a little heat. APUs win everytime for budget builds. 100 dollars margin of error is a hell of a big margin, most builds are adamant on staying at their budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uLxf

This will outperform the apu GREATLY, and gives you an upgrade option as well.

Fm2 is dead socket if you don't know guys yet. Fm2+ will be required for new APUs.

This +1 actually :/ the 7770 is an amazing GPU for a budget gamer and so is the Phenom x4.

Draic +1

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

While I agree that a pentium with a 7750 will beat an apu it isn't fair to go dissing them. They offer a cheap solution that gives you good graphics and it consumes a little power and produces a little heat. APUs win everytime for budget builds. 100 dollars margin of error is a hell of a big margin, most builds are adamant on staying at their budget.

Price to performance is shitty. But poor people usually are poor because they make silly decisions as well so I can see connection between this and the fact poor people get APUs.

If you can calculate you can easily see how GPU plus CPU DESTROYS an apu for few bucks more. Let's count shall we?

Price to performance is shitty. But poor people usually are poor because they make silly decisions as well so I can see connection between this and the fact poor people get APUs.

If you can calculate you can easily see how GPU plus CPU DESTROYS an apu for few bucks more. Let's count shall we?

I wouldn't insult people based on whether or not they are poor when you have a 9800 GT still.

Or u can get a cheap FX with a 7770 with 4-6gb of 1333 mhz memory. With an apu, ur gonna need fast memory to take advantage of that integrated graphics.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.