game making help

kwblauwster

hi

me and some classmates need to make a game within 7 weeks from now. we however don´t know anything about programming. we have a lot of great ideas but were not sure wat takes to long to program. we neet to make it brouwser based and we plan on using Unity. we need to make a 30sec - 2 min demo. 

can somebody tell me how much word the following consepts are for programming. give it a rating 1-10 with 10 being imposseble and 1 easy

1. a slenderman game with puzzels
2. a singelplayer shooter in a spaceship
3. a sidescroller game like mario or super meat boy
4. a strategy game like FTL
5. a parcour game like mirrors edge inside a singel building
6. a survival game like the forrest, dayz or minecraft

5 (shooting methods killer tho)

idk about FTL

8 (animation methods??)

6-7 (perhaps have an animal/human thing walk around and have to collect enough water, food etc. before a timer runs out?)

Shipping sucks

I would say the third would be easiest in unity, mostly because its 2d. If you draw some meh art in 2d its fine, if you fuck up in the third dimension its all pretty much ruined. Plus you don't have to worry about normals and shit

I would say the third would be easiest in unity, mostly because its 2d. If you draw some meh art in 2d its fine, if you fuck up in the third dimension its all pretty much ruined. Plus you don't have to worry about normals and shit

Unfortunately, at this time making a 2D sidescroller in Unity is more contrived than it should be.

Some guy on the games course I'm on made a 2D game in Unity. He told me how much working with sprites in that engine was a pain to behold, and 2D is kinda his schtick...

Dare I say, @kwblauwster, that you might be better off with Unreal 4. It includes basic templates for a side scrolling platformer (both 2D and 3D), a flying game with a ship in it, and a first person shooter. It may sound lazy, but you could cut out the middleman with Unreal.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

hi

me and some classmates need to make a game within 7 weeks from now. we however don´t know anything about programming

1. If you don't know anything about programming don't even think about making a game as first project
  2. Why do you need to make it within 7 weeks? If it's for school I'm sure they are gonna teach you all the necessary and tell you which language and which tools to use

However if you chose to ignore my suggestion use an engine that has a Lua interface, it's a really simple and basic scripting language you shouldn't have too much trouble, for example: https://love2d.org/

I suggest using construct 2. It's insanely easy to use AND it's free. We used it in my game design class and it is very straight forward..

If you want to make a game within 7 weeks and have no experience in programming and/or gamedesign whatsoever, I'd give any of those choices except the 3rd one 8-10 in difficulty.

My recommendation would be to go for a 2D game using the Canvas Engine or the already mentioned construct 2 eingine.

The Unity features are good and all but without any experience it can be quite hard and confusing in the beginning. And you don't really need 95% of them, esp. for a 0.5 - 2min demo.

hi

me and some classmates need to make a game within 7 weeks from now. we however don´t know anything about programming. we have a lot of great ideas but were not sure wat takes to long to program. we neet to make it brouwser based and we plan on using Unity. we need to make a 30sec - 2 min demo. 

can somebody tell me how much word the following consepts are for programming. give it a rating 1-10 with 10 being imposseble and 1 easy

1. a slenderman game with puzzels

2. a singelplayer shooter in a spaceship

3. a sidescroller game like mario or super meat boy

4. a strategy game like FTL

5. a parcour game like mirrors edge inside a singel building

6. a survival game like the forrest, dayz or minecraft

With the sidescroller game I could help you because I already write the codes for my game.We can  modify the commands  if you want, but on the design side I can't help  I need to finish my game too.

in this situation would scratch not be a faster option and easier option? seeing as op doesn't know any programming.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

If it's for a school project you could always completely cut out the middleman. Write in Java and just make an applet. If its not going to be advanced, ie. no physics based stuff, it's entirely doable. In the beginning of my undergraduate we did a lot of Java and had to make games as well. It's pretty easy to learn the language and add the graphics stuff, also its really easy to find tutorials or example code. And you can easily create side scrollers with sprites, collision detection is also really easy. Granted, it's been a long time since I've had a need for writing an applet, so browser support may be finicky.

But granted, it all depends on what exactly you're doing this for. If for a class, I'd say the simplest approach is better, then instead of focusing on learning the paradigms an engine implements you can concentrate on learning the language. Otherwise, if it's not for school, then go for broke and learn an engine by all means.

I suggest using construct 2. It's insanely easy to use AND it's free. We used it in my game design class and it is very straight forward..

Construct 2 looks really cool too.