So I paired an 980 Ti Strix with a RM850...lo and behold...coil whine...

Full backstory:

My plan was to build a silent machine. On amazon spain, the only 980 Ti with a price that made sense was gigabyte's windforce and the asus strix. The only PSU with a price that made sense was the RM850.

I found the no fan ability of the two parts very appealing. Read some reviews of the 980 Ti Strix and RM850 and were all positive. So I decided to buy them. They arrived. I had mid term exam, so I had to wait a week before building my entire computer. While I was studying I browsed this and some other forum. Then I saw people saying how Asus Strix are terrible and had coil whine. Then saying how RM850 was terrible and could cause coil whine... I reeeeeaally hoped I was the lucky few who won't have this issue but no... The god's of coil whine has struck upon me.

TL;DR:

I bought a 980 Ti Strix and RM850 after seeing their positive critic reviews and liked their no fan feature so I bought them. Arrived before I noticed all their negativity on the forum. Hoped I was lucky. Unfortunately, coil whine.

So...

As of now, I saw someone say doing a burn in on the GPU for 36 hours would reduce the coil whine. And to RMA it if it still has coil whine. So that's what I'm doing now, doing a burn in test with Unigine Heaven Valley with DSR to 2k. But I just liked to ask, have anyone reduced or stopped coil whining after a burn in?

I'm not sure if it helped? At first there was really bad crackling sound. Then some pop like sound. The popping has subsided. After around an hour of use, it's reduced to a few very popping sound as if it was from tiny bubbles. They're definitely still there, I can hear a few every few seconds.

The coil whine itself, started of very bad, but now has also subsided to a constant buzz. Haven't changed for the last half an hour. It's a very noticeable buzz. It's also extremely high pitched when exiting an application. 

I'm thinking if it could be the PSU. Would it help if I changed where the two 8 pins are connected to the PSU?

If there's nothing I can do, (I can't live with this coil whine, with how silent my room and the rest of the system is, it's extremely noticeable). Should I just RMA and test my luck? Or should I try refunding it (Can I even do that?) and get the only other option I can get, which is the Windforce 980 Ti?

All replies are appreciated thank you very much!

Coil whine isnt covered under most warranties and usually isnt accepted as a reason for an RMA. You can try, but most likely theyll say no as it isnt actually a fault its just an annoying noise.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Coil Whine is a iffy topic, there really isn't an actual cure for it, sometimes certain PSU/GPU cause more coil whine than others and sometimes people cure coil whine by certain methods but there is no clear cut way to stop coil whine.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Coil Whine is a iffy topic, there really isn't an actual cure for it, sometimes certain PSU/GPU cause more coil whine than others and sometimes people cure coil whine by certain methods but there is no clear cut way to stop coil whine.

And sometimes just a different combination of PSU/GPU can cause coil whine as well.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

And sometimes just a different combination of PSU/GPU can cause coil whine as well.

And it'll do that regardless of how I connected the GPU to the PSU?

And it'll do that regardless of how I connected the GPU to the PSU?

Shouldn't really matter I think.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.