My head hurts with this one....

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

Usage is mainly gaming, surfing and watching videos/movies.  I don't edit/render/stream (might be streaming soon though).

Normally I don't have these issues choosing PC components but this one is really driving me nuts lol...

it shouldn't really be an issue. only issue is your need to overbuild/spend. not being

critical, but you are making harder than it really is.

this streaming thought then will easily be covered with the 6700k as the x99 platform

can do the same, but no edit/render simple stream is spending brain cells unnecessarily.

OK so long story short, I'm gifting my father my current CPU, motherboard and ram (4770k, Z97-G45, 16GB 2400 DDR3) and will be upgrading my main PC.

I don't NEED to upgrade but rather than build another Z97 build I would rather upgrade.

Usage is mainly gaming, surfing and watching videos/movies.  I don't edit/render/stream (might be streaming soon though).

For my needs I know the options are all overkill but at this point my 4770k is kinda overkill so mute point.

I have been waiting for the Z170 motherboard below to get in stock and I was getting ready to order it this week when I decided to check the x99 pricing...

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($545.48 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($474.58 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1020.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 01:38 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($570.08 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($338.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $909.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 01:37 EST-0500

I do plan on overclocking whichever build I go with and I have a good custom loop (EK supremacy EVO good for all sockets) already with my 980Ti overclocked, AX860i and 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 2400MHz CL14 so everything will all work fine either way.

After looking at pros and cons:
40 PCI lanes vs 20 (at most I might go 2-way SLi)
m.2 vs SATA 6 vs SATA Exprerss....
USB 3.1 ect.......
Overclock's are relatively equal per core (4.5GHz - 4.6GHz if worst case I get a low binned chip for either)
X99 would leave room to upgrade to 5960X where the Z170 would be maxed at 6700k as far as I am aware.......

So it comes down to the X99 being about $100 cheaper (right now) and I still can't decide which way I want to go.

My question for you guys is did I miss anything that could sway my decision one way or another?

Thanks in advance.

X99 would have higher performance in other tasks. Skylake is exceptional at gaming though

the platforms are skewed a bit with the Z170 mobo choice.. $475 for a motherboard?

so pretty much similar price points or skylake will be cheaper depending on a more

price conscience motherboard.

with your main usage of gaming, pretty much points you in the direction, just how

much resistance are you going to put up for it.

6600k (overclocked as you wanted), a more mid-tier motherboard and you could be

saving for the second ti card.

PCIe lanes indifference is negligible. no real perceivable difference between x16 SLI

and x8 SLI. money spent unnecessarily.

M.2 is nice for the function of NVMe, AHCI mode is impressive, but not a requisite

over SATA III (depending on drive selected). SATA EXpress is still not mature (if

ever).

Bro.... does your father even have a need for such overkill system?

Honestly, you should just buy him some new, cheaper parts and keep your current system for yourself. I see a lot of hardware and money being wasted, unless he intends for it to be turned on 24/7 crunching for something like Folding or Boinc).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

why are you picking that board for the z170? O.o

I picked that Z170 board a long time ago and it's one of those things where it has everything I want and fits the color scheme too.

I know it's a bit pricey for what it is, at first I was going to get the Gigabyte Gaming G1 I just couldn't justify the price on that one....

Bro.... does your father even have a need for such overkill system?

Honestly, you should just buy him some new, cheaper parts and keep your current system for yourself. I see a lot of hardware and money being wasted, unless he intends for it to be turned on 24/7 crunching for something like Folding or Boinc).

He does graphic arts and edits youtube videos on the side, He really needs the upgrade, I don't see it as a waste of money, I am helping family out and considering I've built every other family member a PC for their birthday this year (~$1000 each) that is where I came up with my "replacement budget" of $1000.  He already has a decent PSU/case ect, he just needs the platform my sister is getting him a new GPU too so yeah.

the platforms are skewed a bit with the Z170 mobo choice.. $475 for a motherboard?

so pretty much similar price points or skylake will be cheaper depending on a more

price conscience motherboard.

with your main usage of gaming, pretty much points you in the direction, just how

much resistance are you going to put up for it.

6600k (overclocked as you wanted), a more mid-tier motherboard and you could be

saving for the second ti card.

PCIe lanes indifference is negligible. no real perceivable difference between x16 SLI

and x8 SLI. money spent unnecessarily.

M.2 is nice for the function of NVMe, AHCI mode is impressive, but not a requisite

over SATA III (depending on drive selected). SATA EXpress is still not mature (if

ever).

Yes I know the Z170 is a higher budget board compared to the X99 motherboard choice and that's why I'm having the dilemma really.

Not going to go for the 6600k, I haven bought anything less than an i7 since my i7 2630QM laptop, While I know the i5's are plenty capable I just have this set in my head......

Not worried about saving for the second 980Ti, I may end up adding a Fury X if DX12 ends up performing the way it has so far with the dual mixed GPU's, so I have lot's of time for that.

Yeah PCI lanes I've already called a wash.

Still not really sure which way to go...., I'm really leaning towards the X99 as I could upgrade later without much hassle............ But I know I'll likely never use the full potential of the platforms performance............

Normally I don't have these issues choosing PC components but this one is really driving me nuts lol...

it shouldn't really be an issue. only issue is your need to overbuild/spend. not being

this streaming thought then will easily be covered with the 6700k as the x99 platform

can do the same, but no edit/render simple stream is spending brain cells unnecessarily.

I do completely agree with you and I appreciate you posting, I think I'm just going to go for the 6700k, it will do what I need it to do and I most likely won't use the full potential anyways...

Thanks again.

He does graphic arts and edits youtube videos on the side, He really needs the upgrade, I don't see it as a waste of money, I am helping family out and considering I've built every other family member a PC for their birthday this year (~$1000 each) that is where I came up with my "replacement budget" of $1000.  He already has a decent PSU/case ect, he just needs the platform my sister is getting him a new GPU too so yeah.

Will he overclock?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!