Why does my 3DS struggle with DS games?

Virtual01

So my 3DS seems to really not like playing DS games or even having DS games in the cartridge slot. With a DS game in the slot the system takes way longer to start up and shut down. I've also noticed that load times are longer while playing DS games vs playing them on a normal DS lite.

The weird thing is, I don't remember this always happening. Unless some system update ruined it or I have some sort of hardware damage (extremely unlikely) I can't see why this would happen.

Does the 3DS run the DS games through a emulator? That could explain it.
Just my uneducated guess however

Does the 3DS run the DS games through a emulator? That could explain it.

Just my uneducated guess however

Even if it does, why would that affect startup/shutdown times? It literally takes about 10 seconds for my system to shut down, and about 5 to start up. With a 3DS game in the slot both are relatively instant.

So my 3DS seems to really not like playing DS games or even having DS games in the cartridge slot. With a DS game in the slot the system takes way longer to start up and shut down. I've also noticed that load times are longer while playing DS games vs playing them on a normal DS lite.

The weird thing is, I don't remember this always happening. Unless some system update ruined it or I have some sort of hardware damage (extremely unlikely) I can't see why this would happen.

This is just a theory, probably is wrong, but it could be the CPU reducing its speed so that the game runs properly. A lot of console games rely on the system speed not changing, or else the game runs faster(look up overclocked gameboy on youtube, or NFS with vsync disabled).

Even if it does, why would that affect startup/shutdown times? It literally takes about 10 seconds for my system to shut down, and about 5 to start up. With a 3DS game in the slot both are relatively instant.

I'm not really sure, sorry

Do you have a shitty SD card? I have one with like 8GB of crap on it and its a class 4. Damn thing takes like 30 seconds to wake up and shut off.

I just use the one that came with it. Some 4GB Lexar. No idea what class 4 means.