Is 15 mbs upload enough for youtube?

MrDavid
Go to solution Solved by mooommo,

but would I be able to upload a video in 2-4 hours. also something I forgot to mention was that when i uploaded a video, the internet for the whole house was slowed down substantially. I want to avoid that

maybe getting a second internet connection for only uploading is a better idea if you really need it.

I want to get unlimited internet, shaw has 250 down and 15 up and bell has 175 up and down, but, it appears to be that you cannot get unlimited with Bell's fibe. Would shaw's service be sufficient for uploading videos to youtube? I would define sufficient as a 15 minute video in mp4 format at 720p which would be about 1.8 gigs being uploaded in 2-4 hours.

This is the first time that I will be subscribing to internet services myself. I don't know what my mom had, but it took anywhere from 8-12 hours to upload a video. I know she didn't have fiber and we were supposed to have the best we could get otherwise.

I honestly know nothing about the subject

there are some youtubers with less than 1mb up and something like 10 down :3 

I got 500kbs up, I still manage to upload a video overnight here and there.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

but would I be able to upload a video in 2-4 hours. also something I forgot to mention was that when i uploaded a video, the internet for the whole house was slowed down substantially. I want to avoid that

Yes that will be plenty fast enough.

The 250up/15down from Shaw is not fibre though it's still cable

Rogers is offering fibre which is 250up/250down but that's about $30 higher with a relatively low data cap.

@Linus has the 250/15 plan from Shaw and besides when they throttle, or should I say 'shaped', their internet it seems to do fine. 

Streaming to to twitch.tv is around 6mb/s at 1080p for fast paced games. So you will have plenty of room to spare you could even push up to 10mb/s for a sharper image.

For Youtube the video will upload in a decent time. You will more often than not wait for Youtube to finish encoding and finalizing the video to allow 1080p in the first place. These are the only 2 plans that are currently offered for high upload speeds. If you are wanting to stream and upload a lot I would go with the Shaw plan because it's fast enough and you will chew through your data at 6-10mb/s streaming if you decide to do that.

Preferably 50mb/s+ would be perfect for super fast Youtube uploads but currently only Rogers is offering those speeds and only if it's in your area. But Shaw would your second best because of the high enough upload and 'unlimited' data cap.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

wow 5 replies in 5 minutes, I'm really glad to be on this forum  :D

maybe getting a second internet connection for only uploading is a better idea if you really need it.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

How you get that speed you can stream 1080p

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Plenty. I have 2 up.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

never thought about that, worth looking into I guess.

Yes there is youtuber with 3Mb up

there are some youtubers with less than 1mb up and something like 10 down :3 

I got 500kbs up, I still manage to upload a video overnight here and there.

Yes that will be plenty fast enough.

So I guess i'll go with shaw then since it is sufficient, so I can have unlimited, and if I find that i need more bandwidth, I'll look into getting another connection

never thought about that, worth looking into I guess.

So I guess i'll go with shaw then since it is sufficient, so I can have unlimited, and if I find that i need more bandwidth, I'll look into getting another connection

Edited my post you can check that out for more information

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

use Qos on your router

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

use Qos on your router

is that kinda like gamefirst on my rog board?

is that kinda like gamefirst on my rog board?

i guess it is, but isn't that what you need? Its also a pretty common feature so there's a high chance your router will be able to do it

(ps gamefirst is basically Qos for noobs)

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

You're all lucky. I upload videos to YouTube at 90KB/s...