college experience

cangath

Hey guys, im a first year computer science student at a communitty college and will be trasfering with in two years. i was curious on your college experiences like what you learned, any internships, any cool projects? the works. most importantly if you have graduated what are you doing now? are you wokring on your masters, got a job (if so howd that happen), making your own applications?

i took a java programming class in highschool and it was mediocre but now im taking a c++ class and our final project is recreating battleship. i also have to take a billion and two math and physics classes.

Would really love to hear from you guys, and if you didnt go to college and entered the work force please leave a comment becuase that is super interesting aswell.

sums it up

day-dreams-grade-school-vs-high-school-v

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I got bored and quit after I got a good job. 

Edit to clarify:

I almost completed my Community College education. It was boring content wise, but I did learn a couple things and enjoyed making friends with the teachers and students. 

I paid for it out of pocket, and was working doing the type of IT work that these people would graduate and try to get jobs doing. Except I was doing it from the beginning - So I didn't really fit the mold. I was laid off because of the business kinda failing that I worked for, and got a new IT-related job for a contractor. I then took a third job after the head company noticed me and wanted me to replace a guy who was leaving. 

That third job took all my time, so I didn't finish my CC degree. 

So, I would warn that your CC portion may not push you too hard if you already know alot - both in quantity and quality.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I got bored and quit after I got a good job. 

Edit to clarify:

I almost completed my Community College education. It was boring content wise, but I did learn a couple things and enjoyed making friends with the teachers and students. 

I paid for it out of pocket, and was working doing the type of IT work that these people would graduate and try to get jobs doing. Except I was doing it from the beginning - So I didn't really fit the mold. I was laid off because of the business kinda failing that I worked for, and got a new IT-related job for a contractor. I then took a third job after the head company noticed me and wanted me to replace a guy who was leaving. 

That third job took all my time, so I didn't finish my CC degree. 

So, I would warn that your CC portion may not push you too hard if you already know alot - both in quantity and quality.

I'm in uni right now, and honestly, I feel the same way. I even took one internship before starting uni, and currently work on an awesome project in online advertising. I feel that uni is not fulfilling me the way it should, so I took a year off, I wonder what to do with it after that. I never cared for the education that uni can provide, but what stops me from leaving are parents (who are sure I need a diploma, and won't listen to another opinion) and that I'm secretly afraid of not fitting the mold afterwards if don't have that diploma (a fear that is most probably bestowed by my parents as well). I will need to confront this anyway, can't keep getting away.

Other than that, uni/college has great things to offer. People, projects, hackathons and such. There's plenty to participate in, just pick and go. And if you don't find what you want, organize your own!

how much did you guys know about programming before hand? i came in knowing next to nothing so i dont think i can just get into an internship and do good work. I always thought getting your degree would be the safest bet to getting a job but now its not looking too hot

how much did you guys know about programming before hand? i came in knowing next to nothing so i dont think i can just get into an internship and do good work. I always thought getting your degree would be the safest bet to getting a job but now its not looking too hot

I would still get your degree if you can. But, especially in the computer field, a portfolio and experience is starting to be worth as much as a degree. Especially if you do not know this stuff - first i would get a trial to lynda, and start playing with some lower level stuff. heck, I'd do it even while going to college. This will allow you to get additional knowledge from a different teacher/learning style. If you find you are learning MUCh more, MUCH faster on lynda... maybe an online degree is better for you anyway. 

A degree + experience (internship, side work, even just stuff for fun) is a great option. 

Just, don't let "I need a degree" prevent you from working while going to school to gain experience, or taking a Job working for a company you love doing work you love.

And finally, teachers are not gods. They can be dumber than a rabbit, but just know how to read from xyz textbook. Talk to the folks who seem like they've been around for awhile, find good teachers, and try taking all classes from them. I did that, and it messed up my schedule, but was worth it. 

Oh, and maybe talk to businesses you'd like to work for. Explain your situation, and ask them what they look for in a new hire. Degree? Experience? Neither?

A local successful software company here is run by a guy with no degree (I'm friends with his father in law). Some of his positions he doesn't care about degrees. Some they do require degrees.

Most CS degrees wont really prepare you for the software industry. It's not really the point of the degree and there's just a lot of things you can't teach in a classroom (this is one of the reasons internships can be very useful). That doesn't mean it's a waste of time, but it helps to understand what it will and wont be teaching you.

While you're going to be busy with your degree, you can still spend a lot of time learning/practicing things on your own. You can get involved in open source projects. You can start using and getting familiar with professional tools (version control, good editors and debugging tools, etc). You can learn to automate your work (automate your builds, tests, etc). And so on.

Also, the college/university experience goes beyond what you learn in class so take advantage of that.

• Other than the chance at making friends, the people you get to know may help you in your career. Many interviews are granted based on referrals. So get to know your peers and professors.
  • Attending your departments events help you look good in the eyes of the profs/staff, gives you the opportunity to meet and get to know people, and gives you the opportunity to learn about/do things you might never have done otherwise. Meet and greets/socials, programming competitions, hackathons, special lectures, etc.

how much did you guys know about programming before hand? i came in knowing next to nothing

Most CS programs don't assume any prior knowledge. Many people are in the same position as you. It wont stop you from having a great career.

I always thought getting your degree would be the safest bet to getting a job but now its not looking too hot

Some companies care about the degree, some don't. It's impossible to know how your job hunt would go.