HELP Plugged Fan Into Mobo Header while PC Was On and Think I Shorted It

I plugged a fan into my Asus Sabertooth Z97 motherboard fan header while the PC was running. I'm pretty I shorted the motherboard because it no longer boots, and yes I did a strip down test with no luck. The only LED that is lit up on the mobo is the green LED at the bottom right of the mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I plugged a fan into my Asus Sabertooth Z97 motherboard fan header while the PC was running. I'm pretty I shorted the motherboard because it no longer boots, and yes I did a strip down test with no luck. The only LED that is lit up on the mobo is the green LED at the bottom right of the mobo. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Maybe try clearing the CMOS and see if that works, if the PSU automatically clicks itself off then that's a PSU issue where it triggered it's short circuit protection. In that case you would need to unplug everything on the PSU and replug it in.

I'm so sorry. My condolences go out to you and your wallet. But in all seriousness, just keep trying to revive it.

Not that I'm an expert in the intricacies of motherboard design or have a PhD in electrical engineering or anything, but I can't imagine plugging in a fan while it's running could harm anything, unless it was a freak accident where a spark jumped or something like that.  Not that you should ever do that, but still...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Unless you plugged the fan header on the motherboard backwards thus causing a reverse in the electrical current only then could I see this happen... 

but even then only the fan would die? 

Unless you plugged the fan header on the motherboard backwards thus causing a reverse in the electrical current only then could I see this happen... 

but even then only the fan would die?

Plugging a fan in backwards doesn't kill it :D it will just turn backwards. But at any rate, those connectors only fit one way. Have you never seen one? :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Maybe try clearing the CMOS and see if that works, if the PSU automatically clicks itself off then that's a PSU issue where it triggered it's short circuit protection. In that case you would need to unplug everything on the PSU and replug it in.

^^^ This ....

I have done the same in the past and everything was fine although I do remember there were a few steps to get everything back online.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

I can't see it blowing the motherboard.

Did you make sure to ground yourself and not touch the motherboard itself?

It's not a race to the bottom.

Plugging a fan in backwards doesn't kill it :D it will just turn backwards. But at any rate, those connectors only fit one way. Have you never seen one? :)

Yes I have seen them and yes you can plug them in backwards it's not difficult. Also, how can you be sure it wouldn't damage the motherboard? Are you an engineer or electrical engineer?

Yes I have seen them and yes you can plug them in backwards it's not difficult. Also, how can you be sure it wouldn't damage the motherboard? Are you an engineer or electrical engineer?

Maybe you can but it's not like it would be a 50/50 shot... it's pretty obvious how they are supposed to go.

And I don't know that it wouldn't damage the motherboard, but I know for a fact it wouldn't damage the fan (thought that was what you were saying, I guess I misread that).  You can take any DC fan and hook it up one way or the other, and it will simply spin the other direction.

And as for if it will damage the motherboard or not, like I said, I don't know if it would or not, but I can't imagine why or how it could... but at any rate, having a fan plugged in backwards is not going to "reverse the current"; worst possible case, current gets misdirected to somewhere it wasn't supposed to go.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately nothing worked :/ I'm gonna send it to get RMA'd and hopefully I get a replacement. I still don't know how or why the fuck it stopped working. Thanks again guys, its much appriciated! RIP my wallet and time  :(