Can I fake chromecast?

as96

Is it possible to make my HTPC (Linux) look like a chromecast to my smartphone?

not yet. 

but if someone knows i want this too. /\

For windows application but still.

Well, some routers have the ability to make connections look like something they aren't.  On our netgear router I can say my htpc is a 360 and give it a video game icon.

Not what I need though, I need mirroring.

I found leapcast it kinda works, you can cast from the youtube app but I can't get it to mirror and since that's the only thing I need it doesn't work for me but if you are interested try leapcast.

Is it possible to make my HTPC (Linux) look like a chromecast to my smartphone?

You are asking the question in a weird way, you should ask "can I cast/stream to my HTPC like chromecast"

not " can I fake a chromecast" people will give you the wrong answers ><

there is probably software out there that does it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

hmm, nope sorry, unless you are able to get phone>htpc streaming done over wifi.

but IIRC your pc neetds to broadcast a network just like the chromecast does.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You are asking the question in a weird way, you should ask "can I cast/stream to my HTPC like chromecast"

not " can I fake a chromecast" people will give you the wrong answers ><

there is probably software out there that does it

This. Otherwise people are going to suggest you buy a chromecast because it's only 29.99$.

This. Otherwise people are going to suggest you buy a chromecast because it's only 29.99$.

The problem is not the cost, but the fact that I have to connect it to the TV, I want to use only my HTPC if it was possible to connect it to a computer I would've bought it already.

Anyway yes, I should've probably asked simply "how to mirror".

Try MiracleCast.

It won't work the same way as a ChromeCast but that does not seem to be what you want anyway. MiracleCast is an open source implementation of Miricast. That will let you mirror your phone's display. It won't be a perfect solution though since for example you can't turn the screen on your phone off while mirroring.

I don't know how well it works either, but if you already got a WiFi card in there it might be worth a try.