whats holding back my overclock?

EFD307

Ive been trying different things and seeing how hard i can push my 780 classy, i get up to like 1350MHz before i start to see some artifacts and i pushed it to 1410 once but it only got a few frames of the benchmark in before it crashed, my temps haven't gone over 80° though im not sure whats holding the oc back, i thought the temperature would be the biggest factor but i guess not. if its not the temps holding my overclock back then whats the point of water cooling? I am running a 24/7 overclock of around 1260 MHz with no problems, why cant i push it harder and would water cooling down the line even benefit me?

here are my specs

i7-4770k

corsair dominator platinum 16GB 1866MHz

H100 cooler

MSI Z87 Mpower

GTX 780 Classified

pc Power & cooling silencer mkIII 1200 W

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

Because you have a 4770k, silicon lottery.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

you got a below average cpu there nothing is wrong its just your cpu each cpu will get different results its obvious yours is one of the bad overclockers.

edit: wait its confusing he talks about a gpu then the cpu OC genie II?!?

Silicon lottery

Because you have a 4770k, silicon lottery.

on the classy? I thought those chips are cherry picked to overclock well....

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

you got a below average cpu there nothing is wrong its just your cpu each cpu will get different results its obvious yours is one of the bad overclockers.

edit: wait its confusing he talks about a gpu then the cpu OC genie II?!?

sorry, the main question was about the GPU

Quite the opposite, there's nothing special about a 4770k, it's basically a 4670k with hyperthreading, nothing special, one CPU can overclock to 4.8GHz stable at 1.27v, and another can barely make it to 4.2GHz at 1.3v

Even worse for a GPU, a gaming GPU is usually bottom of the bin, the Quaddro cards are cherry picked extremely high binned GPU's.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I don't have much experience with NVidia, but 1350mhz is not a good overclock? I'm pretty sure it's an aggressive overclock

I don't have much experience with NVidia, but 1350mhz is not a good overclock? I'm pretty sure it's an aggressive overclock

It is it's a pretty nice OC I'm a little confused.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

yea, i mean its good....but if my temps arent even that high would water cooling even help me push it any harder?

yea, i mean its good....but if my temps arent even that high would water cooling even help me push it any harder?

Maybe even with a cherry picked "classy" GPU, you're still hitting the silicon lottery limit. So I guess in that case, watercooling won't give you more performance, but it will lower your temps and noise levels (probably)

Well your using a GK110 die which since it's so large speeds can't be as high as say something like GK104 chip (gtxi 770). Normal agressive overclocks for 780's are 1000-1150mhz so you have a pretty huge overclock(863mhz stock)

i dont think im making myself clear... i know im getting a good overclock. but whats holding it back from being better if its not the temps? is it just a limitation of the silicon or voltage locks? maybe im looking too far into this...

watercooling helped me a whole lot. My 100% load temp in kombustor used to be my idle temp on air.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

i dont think im making myself clear... i know im getting a good overclock. but whats holding it back from being better if its not the temps? is it just a limitation of the silicon or voltage locks? maybe im looking too far into this...

It could be either one, but I don't think you can do anything about it, either way, right? (Watercooling won't cure voltage lock or silicon lottery)

everything has it's limit. Eventually the chip just can't go any further even with more voltage. And then temps also are a restraint.

one of these days, you will hit the limit of the silicon itself, i think that's what a lot of ppl been trying to say.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've hit the limit or getting close to it

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

what i think happens is that nvidia says that due to gpu boost 2.0 temperature will be onliest thing that will hold your card back; or at least that was the feeling that i had; but for what you experienced seems more like merchandising than anything else, so be happy with the awesome cooler you have and the pretty nice oc u also have.

From my point of view is the lack of voltage what is holding your card back; just as if it was a cpu, needs more juice for that certain frequency

You are at the limits of the die. like I said earlier the GK110 die is pretty big and the bigger it is the less stable it is at higher clocks. Your looking at about a 500mhz overclock which is about as high as it goes on air for a gpu. 

You are at the limits of the die. like I said earlier the GK110 die is pretty big and the bigger it is the less stable it is at higher clocks. Your looking at about a 500mhz overclock which is about as high as it goes on air for a gpu.

Someone got a Classy to 1400+ Mhz... ON AIR, and it was stable! :O

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

What are people talking about in earlier posts? What does a 4770K have to do with a 780 overclock?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What's holding it back is that the GPU can not handle running at that frequency on the voltage its on. as your voltage is locked there is bugger all you can do about it...

You just have found the limit of your card.

Move on and enjoy your games..if your not happy go SLI.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

The limits of the GPU its self. It just won't go any further. It's not always temperature. Sometimes it can only go so far.

You can increase the voltage but that will also only go so high. These chips don't go to 2ghz just because your at 70c

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd