WD Black or SSD, Which is best or Durable for long time work?

Raghav Arya

SSD is not for long time durablity ?

which one is the last & best option for Photoshop work or passtime gamings ?

Durable ? ofcourse HDD

weeeeell not really, ssd is potentially going to die faster, but it's predictable, you can tell when. HDD can die just because.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Durable ? ofcourse HDD

but what about SSD Durablity ?

less than HDD ?

SSD uses flash memory so its less likely to just crash compared to a mechanical harddrive. right now, its not suitable to get a 1 TB SSD as prices are decreasing fast and most gamers who can afford an ssd go for  a 250gb ssd and a 1TB HDD for example, to store their OS and important apps on their SSD, and games and movies on their HDD.

SSD's are more physically durable (ie, less likely to break if dropped).

but SSDs also have a limited number of times they can be written over. they work well when the data isn't going to change much, like a game or OS installation, which will be mostly written once, then just be read. but when you're editing you are writing to the drive every time you save. making a HDD (or multiple in a RAID config) better when editing.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

SSD is not for long time durablity ?

which one is the last & best option for Photoshop work or passtime gamings ?

I'd say get an HDD to store your works, because it's got more storage like 1TB, 2, even 3TB is available.

Slower than SSD though, but you can get low capacity SSD like 120GB for the OS and really important stuff (maybe games, your editing softwares, or some of your works), and put the rest in HDD.

SSD is kinda more durable (physically).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I would always go for a SSD now

(unless you need lots of storage, until SSDs fall more in price get a Mechanical one for large storage)

I really don't think people need to worry about durability of SSDs now.

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

so WD Black 1TB is good choice for work ?

You don't have to get Black, WD Blue has more value, cheaper price but decent performance.

It's up to you actually, if you want that "extra" performance, then Black may help.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

As of right now, ssds are more durable and more reliable than hdds except for the highest end corporate grade hdds - which are crazy expensive and require specific platform support. In particular, wd blacks are built more for performance than for durability (although they are decently durable). If you can afford the ssd, get the ssd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SSD's are more physically durable (ie, less likely to break if dropped).

but SSDs also have a limited number of times they can be written over. they work well when the data isn't going to change much, like a game or OS installation, which will be mostly written once, then just be read. but when you're editing you are writing to the drive every time you save. making a HDD (or multiple in a RAID config) better when editing.

ssds can write hundreds of petabytes before they die. even under intense usage they'd last more than 10 years for a normal user.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

but SSDs also have a limited number of times they can be written over.

That has become a moot point with current SSD's. As they are able to write thousands worth of Terra bytes before they are even starting to brake a sweat. If you have something like a 250GB Samsung Evo, and write 100GB to it each day, then it will take you around 5 years to reach the estimated end of its life.

Have fun trying to reach that limit.

Edit: And if you have a 256GB, 850 Pro. Then it takes roughly 14 years to burn out the NAND by writing 100GB a day to it.

so SSD is best for Photoshop Work ?

For the software itself, yes as it would make it load faster but for your save files, HDD would be fine.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

For the software itself, yes as it would make it load faster but for your save files, HDD would be fine.

ok last question

in HDD which one is good for performance ?

in photoshop works

ok last question

in HDD which one is good for performance ?

in photoshop works

WD Blue is a nice option, cheaper than WD Black but offers decent performance.

Seagate Barracuda is actually another option, cheaper as well and offers somewhat faster performance. But I heard some people's reviews that it died pretty quickly, I can't say anything about it (never used Seagate Barracuda before).

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

DimasRMDO Thank u so much

& THANKS All

Oh and, if you want to know more about HDD and storage stuff @Captain_WD is good at this.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

~snip~

Hey there Raghav Arya,

Due to the fact that SSDs don't have any moving parts, they are less likely to fail due to vibration or any physical causes or mechanical issues so that should mean they are safer in these terms. An issue would be the fact that when a SSD fails it is practically impossible to get the data off of it due to the nature of storing the data. SSDs also can't stay unplugged for far too long from a power source, otherwise their data starts to degrade and gets corrupted and lost. 
On the other hand, even though HDDs are mechanical units and are more prone to mechanical failures due to external factors, it is far easier to retrieve data from a failed HDD and very often you can still access part of the data once the drive starts to fail. 
For best data safety I would keep backups of it on multiple storage drives, regardless of what type they are. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/