Crowd-Funded FAH machine?

3: I've been considering doing this for some time.. But I wanted to ask to get other people's viewpoints on this. Is that even ethical to do that? If anyone see's any problems with this, please tell me. ;w; Because from my view, it seems like it would be a fantastic project to see if it can succeed but again, I am biased because its my own idea.. So criticism is welcome ;w;

Moist

It would be nice to do so but what would stop you from spending the money you receive on yourself? Also, not many people know what F@H is so they may think it's what I said earlier.

The crowd-funding requires you to do what you campaigned for by law .w. so i would to go jail if i didnt do dat. I could also explain what it is in the description owo

Moist

@Kenji the Uke 

good luck buddy :D (actually saying good luck. Not being sarcastic ;) )

Thank you ;w; I havnt launched the campaign yet, waiting for the opinions of the LTT Forum Community ;w;

Moist

Alright, I'll start work on it when I wake up. Thank you ;w; It should be okay.. It makes the world better!

I think it won't work. Sure, you may try, but only people that know what F@H is would help. And those people would most likely either donate to F@H directly, or invest in hardware for themselves (which would be the exact same thing as you are doing).

But as an anime hero would say "you won't know util you try it!".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The crowd-funding requires you to do what you campaigned for by law .w. so i would to go jail if i didnt do dat. I could also explain what it is in the description owo

No you wouldn't go to jail. It's a contract obligation, meaning you'd just get sued if you didn't live up to your end of the bargain. The only way you'd be subject to prosecution is if you opened the crowd-funding campaign with no intention of living up to what you claimed, which has the potential to fall under fraud statutes depending on how much money is involved.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

No you wouldn't go to jail. It's a contract obligation, meaning you'd just get sued if you didn't live up to your end of the bargain. The only way you'd be subject to prosecution is if you opened the crowd-funding campaign with no intention of living up to what you claimed, which has the potential to fall under fraud statutes depending on how much money is involved.

Ouh owo Well i entirely do intend to do it.

Moist

i was going to do this in a year or two once i got a little older, i was thinking of making a crowd funded f@h farm, buy a shed from costco or whatever, run a electrical line to it with its own panel and everything, setup some machines based on best performance per dollar and set up 6-10 or how ever many we can afford with the money, set up a 24/7 live stream on a separate machine to show the growing total for all the machines together so people can see their money working, i want to do it but like i said im only 16 so i doubt people would really trust me and i will be moving out in a couple years so theres that. but aside from that, there could be donatins for the initial build nd then donations to keep them running (power, maintenance parts if they break, eventually more machine etc.)  this would obviously be on a larger scale then your idea so yours would probably easier to start up and be alot quicker to raise funds

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

i was going to do this in a year or two once i got a little older, i was thinking of making a crowd funded f@h farm, buy a shed from costco or whatever, run a electrical line to it with its own panel and everything, setup some machines based on best performance per dollar and set up 6-10 or how ever many we can afford with the money, set up a 24/7 live stream on a separate machine to show the growing total for all the machines together so people can see their money working, i want to do it but like i said im only 16 so i doubt people would really trust me and i will be moving out in a couple years so theres that. but aside from that, there could be donatins for the initial build nd then donations to keep them running (power, maintenance parts if they break, eventually more machine etc.)  this would obviously be on a larger scale then your idea so yours would probably easier to start up and be alot quicker to raise funds

That would be very awesome actually. >w> damn

Moist

That would be very awesome actually. >w> damn

that's what I thought, just don't have the time atm, and not sure how my parents would say about putting in a shed and running power to it to run 6 computers xD
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

If you were to host the machine, you would also have a large electric bill with it

also donations for power would come in handy
Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Go for it!  Only downside is it fails and you refund money?  There have been plenty of other kickstarters that earned ridiculous amount of money that didn't deserve it, at least yours is for a good cause.  I would budget in the cost of electricity for three years with the money you receive. 

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

I'd need to see more details before going yay or neigh, honestly. 

i7-4790K | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | Corsair 350D | 256GB Crucial MX100 / 1TB WD Blue | Corsair RM 650 | NH-U12S
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XN2dC | http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Deil_Grist

Go for it!  Only downside is it fails and you refund money?  There have been plenty of other kickstarters that earned ridiculous amount of money that didn't deserve it, at least yours is for a good cause.  I would budget in the cost of electricity for three years with the money you receive. 

i agree with his idea for the power cost, set a budget for the pc say 1000$ and set the amount to something like 1500$ so that you have 1000 for the pc and 500 for power and other things to keep it going

Spoiler

and a car thread !