Cleaning A 3.5mm Jack

Hey Guys,

My laptop is a little old, and when ever I am in skype calls etc, my friends complain about the static in my mic, I thought it was just a headset problem but after trying several audio devices the static was still there. Also my audio out does something similar where if the wire is being moved around, you hear static, and cut out. I took a look at the port itself and noticed that there were little stains or rust patches on the outside part of the jack which I just figured it was the same case inside the jack which is causing all this static. I looked online about fixes and many stated shove a needle in the jack and scratch it out, which I feel uncomfortable doing, I just wanted to see if anyone else has a better way to clean it.

Thanks In Advance

Joseph

Roll up the tip of a wipe and clean it with that.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Take a Q-Tip, remove some cotton from it, stick it inside jack, twist it around. Bing bang boom bop super duper ultra clean jack yes

I     own     alienware     computer     XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

At an electronics or hardware store you can get a can of electronics contact cleaner. With the item turned off and unplugged, spray some cleaner into the jack and on the 3.5mm plug itself. It dries quick, but try to plug the headset in while it's still at least moist and rotate the jack, then remove it. (It doesn't take to much cleaner)

When it fully dries (maybe about 10 seconds depending on how much you have used), turn things on, and try things out.

Contact cleaner is, essentially, ether so having some ventilation would not be inappropriate. It does not harm circuit boards or solder joints, but it may discolor plastic, so wipe any excess very quickly.