PCIe Lanes!

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I want to run 2 980 ti's. I just learned that the 5820k has only 28 lanes! Does this mean I'll be running x8/x16?

I also found out the 6700k only has 16 lanes! So both GPU's would only run x8/x8?

I plan on plugging a m.2 slot as well, does that take 4 lanes? What the fudge am I looking at?

The 5930k has 40 lanes though. That essentially will let me run at x16/x16 with a m.2 correct? 950 pro ssd m.2

Would running my GPU's at x8/x16 give me any noticeably hindered performance?

I intend 4k gaming.

Doesn't really matter for gaming as long as you're at x4 or above. There's no performance difference.

I want to run 2 980 ti's. I just learned that the 5820k has only 28 lanes! Does this mean I'll be running x8/x16?
I also found out the 6700k only has 16 lanes! So both GPU's would only run x8/x8?

I plan on plugging a m.2 slot as well, does that take 4 lanes? What the fudge am I looking at?

The 5930k has 40 lanes though. That essentially will let me run at x16/x16 with a m.2 correct? 950 pro ssd m.2

I intend 4k gaming.

you dont need more than x8

you get 0 performance increase

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I intend 4k gaming.

Doesn't really matter for gaming as long as you're at x4 or above. There's no performance difference.

5820K would be enough to run three pci lanes at x8. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Gamers have been running SLI configs in 8x/8x and 8x/8x/4x for years.

At 8x/8x, the difference is practically null. You'd need some very sensitive equipment to notice a difference. Even with today's games the PCIe lanes to the GPUs aren't getting maxed out, even at 8x.

So don't worry about it. If you want to run SLI, go for it. You'll get the performance you're looking for.

---

If its gen3 4x = gen1 16x you will be fine

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Thank you everyone. Your answers were very helpful and a huge relief. I did not want to spend an extra 200+ to get the 5930k lol

So essentially. With the 5820k. My setup will be 16x/8x for the GPU's and 4x for my 950 Pro SSD m.2 going for a total of 28 lanes? Leaving me with no lanes for expansion?

So essentially. With the 5820k. My setup will be 16x/8x for the GPU's and 4x for my 950 Pro SSD m.2 going for a total of 28 lanes? Leaving me with no lanes for expansion?

You will be able to expand, but 16/8 will be 8/8

The site has changed....

You will be able to expand, but 16/8 will be 8/8

Ah yes. That is correct. Which apparently 8/8 is still fine? But I don't see any need for this rig to expand anymore. Haha, it's going to be a 4k monster :)

Ah yes. That is correct. Which apparently 8/8 is still fine? But I don't see any need for this rig to expand anymore. Haha, it's going to be a 4k monster :)

it will be more than fine ;) Have fun gaming at 4k

The site has changed....

it will be more than fine ;) Have fun gaming at 4k

Thank you :) I will build blog it when I get the parts after Christmas :) What a gift to myself right?

Thank you :) I will build blog it when I get the parts after Christmas :) What a gift to myself right?

awww... Christmas is so far away.... would you build it now?

I'm actually being selfish as I'm considering 950 Pro myself but after reading Anandtech and Tomshardware and it's thermal limits I don't know how I feel about sticking it in between my two Fury cards on MSI x99S SLI Plus.... 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

awww... Christmas is so far away.... would you build it now?

I'm actually being selfish as I'm considering 950 Pro myself but after reading Anandtech and Tomshardware and it's thermal limits I don't know how I feel about sticking it in between my two Fury cards on MSI x99S SLI Plus.... 

I've considered placing the m.2 on the pcie x4 and attaching a heatsink to it, but having some trouble finding what I want.

My system will have MANY fans in it. Much positive pressure :)

Don't worry about thermal throttling on the 950 Pro. You'd have to be writing continuously at max speed for over 150Gb and have it be completely choked of air before it does any throttling. And even when throttled it's still crazy fast.

If you have any air blowing over the 950 Pro, it should never throttle even under load.

---