Help with 450-550$ sound and MIC setup.

DrAlgernopKrieger

Hello guys! So I'm looking for help to choose parts for a good sound and microphone setup for my PC. I'm totally lost when it comes to sound and mics and I want something that can give me a great sound experience when I'm gaming and watching movies and stuff like that. 

What im looking for is :

¤ Closed back headphones that will be good for movies and gaming (mainly CS:GO or games that requires you to hear footsteps and alike.)

¤ Something to power the Headphones like a DAC or something.

¤ A good stand alone microphone for speaking in skype and in-game.

¤ Maybe some accessories to the mic like a pop-filter and that kind of jazz.

Thanks beforehand!

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Ask him what sound signature hes going for instead of recommending random cans, also Mayflower odac is overrated from what I've heard.

He asked for what would be great for gaming and movies, I'm trying to recommend what I think would be good, and I'll let him tell me if he wants something different, and change my selection accordingly. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Alright. But how does like 7.1 surround sound and that kind of stuff work with these parts? 

7.1 doesn't work with that setup, higher quality audio DAC/AMPs are made for stereo only. 

If you want 7.1 surround sound, you will need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Kraken-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00EPAVKP0

But just to warn you, audio quality does go down as you add more channels, and most surround sound is a gimmick and only works well in a few games.

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

-snip-

What im looking for is :

¤ Closed back headphones that will be good for movies and gaming (mainly CS:GO or games that requires you to hear footsteps and alike.)

¤ Something to power the Headphones like a DAC or something.

¤ A good stand alone microphone for speaking in skype and in-game.

¤ Maybe some accessories to the mic like a pop-filter and that kind of jazz.

Thanks beforehand!

Closed-back=Audio Technica A700X (not the AD700X because its open back, while the one without a D [get your mind out of the gutter xD] is closed back)

DAC +/- amp=You won't really need it as these headphones are sensitive enough to work out of your motherboard audio. If you are experiencing static, I suggest the Schiit Fulla if you really have to.

Mic=If you really don't mind having the mic around 1-18 inches away from your mouth, I suggest the Audio Technica ATR2100. Look, I know it looks like a handheld mic, but it works like the Rode Podcaster. Both are dynamic mics that are engineered to record specific frequencies to the point that a grenade has to blow up atleast 30 to 40 (just to be safe, lets say 100 or more... I honestly don't know) meters away to record it. But if you like the convenience of a condenser microphone, a mic from Samson should do the trick (I don't know which Samson mic it was, but it wasn't the tiny one. Even if you do get the tiny one, they work ridiculously well!) or the Blue Yeti. I'm not entirely a fan of condenser mics because I hate background noise since it adds more to my workflow (I'm not a pro or even an amateur producer/mixer/etc... but I do work with a friend who records his songs and its a pain getting rid of background noise as it takes up alot of time for me), but oh well.

Accessories for the mic=Well, to save on space, a mic windscreen would do the tick. Other than that, any pop filter should do.

I'm pretty sure I haven't capped out your budget. But the least I can say is that with the remaining budget, you could use it for more games or apps or something else :D. That said, just use my suggestions as a point of reference, not a must. You can only go north from here with the headroom I've left out.

-snip-

hedphons: Beyerdynamic or somethings from audio technica

DAC/amp: FiiO E10K or if u have ze dollar get a Objective 2 or somthing

mic: Blue Yeti

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

For closed back, the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO would be a great headphone. I would probably stay away from the Audio Technica A series of headphones since they seem to have some pretty peaky treble, and they also often are pretty much good for only two things; Female Vocals and Classical. If you listen to those genres almost exclusively, then that's awesome! If not, then you would probably be better off with something else. 

The best amp/dac for not a lot of money (assuming that you have optical out on your motherboard) is the SMSL SD793-II. It's an excellent little product, and it's got tons of power. The only issue that I could see you having is if you use a lot of sensitive IEMs. It only has one gain setting, and it's pretty high, so you have to be pretty careful with the volume knob. Other than that, it's a great little unit, and more than capable of driving just about any headphone on the market. 

I used it with my hifiman HE-500, but those are extremely power hungry, and I doubt that any headphone you would buy would be anywhere near close to the HE-500 in terms of insensitivity. 

For mic, pretty much any USB mic would probably do you just fine, I don't see you having any issues with any of the more commonly recommended mics, since they're all pretty decent to begin with, at least if you aren't trying to do vocals or something, which I doubt you will be doing.

There is a Rode mic for something around $100, and it does come with a pop filter, not to mention that it's USB, so that might fit your needs perfectly. Linus did a video on it at some point, and he seemed like he liked it well enough.

anyway, that's my .02

EDIT:/ just so you know, the DT770 is a very bassy headphone, and the mids are somewhat recessed. That doesn't make them a bad set of cans, but they aren't perfect, and if you aren't looking for a super good low end, then they may not be for you, but they are pretty good, and well worth the money you would be spending on them. If you're curious about the difference between the different impedances that are available, don't worry about it, just get whichever one is the cheapest.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)