SSD and HDD Management

Pandacake
Go to solution Solved by Aytex,

May improve fps by like 0.00000000001

It just boots up faster, opens files faster ,ect.

Yes, you install the OS on your SSD

then just plug in your other drives through sata

Hello,

I am about to build my friend's PC, we were having a discussion about where to put the OS and his personal files. I have a few questions:

what do you guys think about putting the OS on m.2 drive, games on ssd1, dxtory on ssd2, and other files on hdd?

If you install OS on a separate drive other than your games/music/files/movies drive, does it reduce the amount of stuttering and increase performance?

Is it even possible to separate OS and Games in different drive?

thanks in advance.

May improve fps by like 0.00000000001

It just boots up faster, opens files faster ,ect.

Yes, you install the OS on your SSD

then just plug in your other drives through sata

Thanks for the quick answer. Will my Samsung 850 EVO works connecting through sata express, and plug another in sata?

~snip~

Hey there Pandacake,

SSDs have higher transfer speeds and shorter access times. Certain types of things can benefit a lot from this, others not that much, still others don't benefit at all. Putting the OS on the SSD is recommended as the whole system would become much more responsive and would feel much smoother. Gaming on the other hand does not rely on the storage's performance for anything else besides the loading times and the autosaves. FPS and graphics are not affected at all. Some applications might take advantage of its performance so I'd check which ones can do it and put them with the OS onthe SSD. I would leave everything else for the HDD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/