Backing Up My Data

So I'm getting a new computer and I need to transfer all my files to the new one. I am not just talking about documents. I also need to move 100+ GB of games to my new PC. Is copying and pasting the C drive onto an external one really the best idea?

Thanks.

Yea it probably is.

It might be a bad idea to copy paste game files since you might bring fragmented files onto your new computer.

I would re downloaded them(500up/500down) so i don't have anything to complain xD.

So I'm moving to a new PC and I have to take all my files with me. I am not talking about just documents. I am talking about programs I have downloaded, programs that I have installed, documents etc... Is copying and pasting the C drive onto an external hard drive really the best idea. I also want to make sure that I do not loose programs I have paid for like Kaspersky (Yes.... I do use anti-virus).

Thanks

As for the antivirus, you have to lose it.

It is a different OS with different bounded codes.

If im not wrong, your antivirus binds with your windows key.

Yea it probably is.

It might be a bad idea to copy paste game files since you might bring fragmented files onto your new computer.

I would re downloaded them(500up/500down) so i don't have anything to complain xD.

Would I loose programs that I have paid for like Kaspersky?

Would I loose programs that I have paid for like Kaspersky?

Yes. If you change your windows install.

As long as you have your Kaspersky key, simply unregister it now, move onto your new pc and enter the key again.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Depending on the chipset, you may just be able to migrate the whole hard drive.  My install of Windows started on an i5 2500k/P67 kit, then it was migrated to an i7 3770k/z77 kit, then it was moved to an i7 4930k/X79 kit, and it worked just fine.  It would depend on how different the systems would be and all that, but it's really all about motherboard chipset more than anything.  Obviously switching between Intel and AMD chipsets would more or less not work just by migrating the HDD.

Nope. Copying and pasting will only save the files. 

When you install a program, in addition to copying the program files, a bunch of ties are generated between the program and the operating system. From high level stuff like which setting is what and which file is where down to low level stuff like who and what has access to the program and which series of ones and zeroes will produce the letter K. A huge amount of stuff. You can't just copy this information form OS to OS without some manner of re-install.

The process of preparing installed programs and re-installing them is called migrating. It's very useful if you'd need to do it, say, a hundred times in a big office system. But given the time and effort it takes to prepare the programs for migration and actually doing it by hand, especially if it's program by program, in comparison to the few clicks of re-installing it's about the dumbest thing you could do.

Some commercially available programs for migration do exist. They can actually work fine too, to a degree. I've run into a lot of trouble with them not supporting the migration of all programs universally so I'd never recommend using one let alone pay for one. But If that does float your boat, then go ahead. By migrating you can't however circumvent having to reactivate the licensed programs like the Kaspesky.

If its possible for you to place the old storage drive to your new PC then it could work..

might i suggest you clone the drive on to the new one. that would pretty much resolve your issue of having to copy over games and any installed programs.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.