New HP spectre x360 laptop freezes with external monitor

*this is a repost in a better section due to no replies previously*

hi i was wandering if anyone can help me with an issue im having with my new HP spectre x360 laptop running windows 10. when i use an external monitor plugged into the HDMI port after any amount of time the laptop can just completely freeze, all videos stop even the mouse stops moving, and the only way to stop it is to hard reset it. ive tried reinstalling the graphics drivers but have no clue where to begin otherwise

thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!

hi i was wandering if anyone can help me with an issue im having with my new HP spectre x360 laptop running windows 10. when i use an external monitor plugged into the HDMI port after any amount of time the laptop can just completely freeze, all videos stop even the mouse stops moving, and the only way to stop it is to hard reset it. ive tried reinstalling the graphics drivers but have no clue where to begin otherwise

What monitor are you using?

Numbre

Does this happen ONLY when the external monitor plugged in?If no, than it might be bad power caps on the processor, but as this is a new laptop is not likely. Try downgrading the drivers and see if that works.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Does this happen ONLY when the external monitor plugged in?If no, than it might be bad power caps on the processor, but as this is a new laptop is not likely. Try downgrading the drivers and see if that works.

only when external monitor plugged in 

• 5 weeks later...

I also have HP Spectre x360 and I experience the same problem. When I connect to my monitor via hdmi cable after about 4 hours laptop freezes. I'm running windows 8.1. In order to avoid freezing I restart computer after 3 hours of work. It's annoying but at least I don't loose unsaved changes. If anyone comes up with solution please report because this is a serious problem.

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2015 at 9:44 PM, chriswills said:

HP doesn't seem to list all the options that model has in an easy to read format - Do you have a dedicated GPU along with the Intel HD Graphics, like a Radeon or GeForce? If so, I wonder if the computer isn't overheating. I find that dual graphics machines tend to activate the dedicated GPU when an external display is connected, and leave it activated until it's disconnected. You might want to download Open Hardware Monitor to see what your temperatures are like with the display connected, and grab Prime95 and Furmark to stress test your CPU and GPU respectively while monitoring the temperatures.