Folding points per year?

If I did my math correctly I figure at the rate per week I am folding at about an average of 470-500k and that will give me about 24-26 million points per year earned. That's with a GTX960.

Awesome. Now I just need to get my monster folding rig up and running  :D  ^_^.  Sounds optimistic but I am giving myself a +/- 5% factor here.

*edit

I am not basing my figures on the predicted ppd but on actual reported ppd.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If I did my math correctly I figure at the rate per week I am folding at about an average of 470-500k and that will give me about 24-26 million points per year earned. That's with a GTX960.

Awesome. Now I just need to get my monster folding rig up and running  :D  ^_^.  Sounds optimistic but I am giving myself a +/- 5% factor here.

That's cos you have maxwell. I'm stuck with Kepler and I'm not making too much.

EDIT: SO FAR I have 24,000 ish points

'll edit it again when i find out how much per week I'm doing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If I did my math correctly I figure at the rate per week I am folding at about an average of 170-180k and that will give me about 8.8-9.4 million points per year earned.

lol thats with my 460

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

That's cos you have maxwell. I'm stuck with Kepler and I'm not making too much.

If I did my math correctly I figure at the rate per week I am folding at about an average of 170-180k and that will give me about 8.8-9.4 million points per year earned.

lol thats with my 460

I can't wait to build my monster rig, Just have to get the funds going (this will be next years project). I want to do a server type set up with dual Xeons utilizing 6 GTX980ti. I have the parts all lined up to buy and my dad and I will be putting this together and he assures me it work with out issue.

*edit

correction 4 xeons not 2 my mistake.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I can't wait to build my monster rig, Just have to get the funds going (this will be next years project). I want to do a server type set up with dual Xeons utilizing 6 GTX980ti. I have the parts all lined up to buy and my dad and I will be putting this together and he assures me it work with out issue.

*edit

4 Xeons and 6 980Tis.. Do you just so happen to live in a gold brick mansion?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 Xeons and 6 980Tis.. Do you just so happen to live in a gold brick mansion?

No but its a project I am having help with, besides I know a few companies near me that will be doing some upgrades so I might get the chips at a deal. *crossing fingers*

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No but its a project I am having help with, besides I know a few companies near me that will be doing some upgrades so I might get the chips at a deal. *crossing fingers*

Well, lets hope you do because build log plleeaaassseee!

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Well, lets hope you do because build log plleeaaassseee!

It wont be till next year but when it happens I will be sure to do the log. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

*edit

Just wait a bit for Pascal. Nvidia said "10x the compute performance of a Titan X", which for Folding, could actually mean 10x the performance of a 980ti.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just wait a bit for Pascal. Nvidia said "10x the compute performance of a Titan X", which for Folding, could actually mean 10x the performance of a 980ti.

Good call. Ill have to do some research but do you know if a possible release date has been announced?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Pascal looks good so far.

NVIDIA-Pascal-GPU-Chip-Module.jpg

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

*edit

I'm getting a new power supply. Hopefully it will be a lot better than the one i have now. Would a new PSU help folding? I don't see where the bottleneck in my system is except for power. But that's not that reason I'm replacing.

Wait WTF! How the f*** do you get 6 980Tis and 4 Xeons your rig unless your a millionaire? 

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Pascal looks good so far.

NVIDIA-Pascal-GPU-Chip-Module.jpg

Oh wow that sick PCB though! 

I'm stuck with essentially this (mine is a non reference but i just wanted to prove a point and mine does have a fan) EDIT: ZOOM IN ON THE CHIP TO GET MODEL

75277aa8_front_full.jpeg

I'm getting a new power supply. Hopefully it will be a lot better than the one i have now. Would a new PSU help folding? I don't see where the bottleneck in my system is except for power. But that's not that reason I'm replacing.

Wait WTF! How the f*** do you get 6 980Tis and 4 Xeons your rig unless your a millionaire? 

A new PSU could help only if your system is overloading your current one. I suggest getting a large enough PSU that you pulling no more than 60% to keep your PSU at peak efficiency and heat levels lower.

Well I don't make much in terms of money but it will be making purchases over time . . . .  and also I will be getting some help.

I am also attempting to get in with a data center here in Des Moines that will be doing upgrades so I am hoping to get some xeons (used) on discount.

There is a Microsoft Data Center, the newest FaceBook Data center, an EMC Data center and few others around that I am hoping to exploit explore my options with.

Its bit of a project. 

I will post parts list in minute.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 x Asus ESC4000 G3S 2U 4-GPU Hybrid Computing Power with Optimized Airflow     http://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/ESC4000_G3S/

4 x Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor

32GB DDR4 2133 LRDIMM (8 per processor)

6 x Nvidia 980 TI or the new Pascal series.

I plan on water cooling the entire system but this will be some what easy to do but will take some effort to do.

I figure that with all brand new parts this will cost nearly $10,000.00 USD so I plan on getting used parts if possible when and where I can. I am pretty sure if I succeed will only have to pay full price for the GPU's.

I plan getting started next year but I figure it will take some time to acquire all the parts before I start building, about 6 months to a year.

*edit 

If I manage to get a backer or two from family then it will speed up the process.

Honestly I have considered trying to get a sponsor but I have no freaking idea how to go about doing it.  :(

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 x Asus ESC4000 G3S 2U 4-GPU Hybrid Computing Power with Optimized Airflow     http://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/ESC4000_G3S/

4 x Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor

32GB DDR4 2133 LRDIMM (8 per processor)

6 x Nvidia 980 TI or the new Pascal series.

I plan on water cooling the entire system but this will be some what easy to do but will take some effort to do.

I figure that with all brand new parts this will cost nearly $10,000.00 USD so I plan on getting used parts if possible when and where I can. I am pretty sure if I succeed will only have to pay full price for the GPU's.

I plan getting started next year but I figure it will take some time to acquire all the parts before I start building, about 6 months to a year.

Will I see better framerate in games since in the nvidia control panel I set it to performance mode which uses more power?

Will I see better framerate in games since in the nvidia control panel I set it to performance mode which uses more power?

What card do you have? 6xx or 7xx series?

You could see some increase but that depends on the game and the resources it will require. Honestly I am not the person to ask that particular question.

I leave my 960 on default settings and it runs well enough for my use but then again I wont oc it until i get my new case as it will have much better air flow than what I have now. I am using an old compaq box for my build until the new box arrives from Fractal.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Performance mode doesn't enhance actual performance. It just disables some power saving features and make your card run at full clocks, even when idle.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Performance mode doesn't enhance actual performance. It just disables some power saving features and make your card run at full clocks, even when idle.

Well I'm gonna OC it to 1200 or 1300Mhz and take advantage of the high TDP! Right now it's around 1000-1100. I'm gonna use it the way nvidia engineers wanted it to be used xD  :)

For those who were guestimating their PPY (points per year) early on in this thread. If you're not already using data from http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518 then this will give a more accurate picture

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

For those who were guestimating their PPY (points per year) early on in this thread. If you're not already using data from http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=223518 then this will give a more accurate picture

Doesn't work for me as I have checked this site many times and my points are not showing so I did the math myself.

But thanks for the pointer.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@AluminiumTech

Ok it took some time to get these put together on parts picker as I had to custom insert some components.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BkHrkL

or

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W2TNMp

Bear in mind these project ideas are a work-in-progress so take some with a grain of salt.  ;)

I plan on doing lower budget versions based on the the GTX 960 or 970 as well and maybe leave out the water cooling aspect. not sure yet.

Also I will be taking @Imakuni advice with the new pascal coming out in 2016.

I have never done such an expensive build before but I hope in the end it will be worth it.  :D

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I've wondered for a while now, could you write off the cost of this rig and the electricity to run it as a charitable donation on your taxes if you only folded on it, and ran it 24/7?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've wondered for a while now, could you write off the cost of this rig and the electricity to run it as a charitable donation on your taxes if you only folded on it, and ran it 24/7?

*shugs*

Ya know, I have not even thought of that before.  Hmm I don't know for sure. I'll have think about that.

*thinking*

Not sure about how Canadian taxation works but the US is a bit weird in the area cuz I would have to be able to show usage/ wear and tear and contribution amount for the parts and electricity used. I am sure there is a way but it would all have to be documented in some way. My dad used to work for the IRS about 20 years ago I can ask him.

Example: to show electrical used I would have to go back get an average electrical usage before folding and then compare it to after.

Honestly it would be a lot of work initially and then upkeep afterwards.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Seems low, been folding for 2 days and I already have 700k points, then again i7 4790k and SLI 970. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg