Corsair RM 850 coil whine normal?

Go to solution Solved by Corsair Joseph,

We rarely get coil whine claims with our RM, but if its really coming from the PSU, we'll take it back and send you a replacement via RMA process. But before doing so, keep in mind that coil whine or electrical noise could also come other hardware, such as GPU. So just double check if it's really coming from the PSU before proceeding with the RMA. 

The situation is as follows: I bought a new rm850-> installed it and started up GTA V with my 980ti / i5 4670k   the power supply was silent as advertised while under light load but when i went ingame it started doing some real nasty coil whine My Question is : is that enough reason to send it back  or do i have to keep it / is that something anyone else noticed with their rm series psus?

Thanks for the answers

Iv'e seen reports of this. I'd contact Corsair RMA's. They are amazing. Get a replacement. If it still happens send back and get something like a EVGA Supernova G2 750w

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Not sure about that. Coil whine is very rarely grounds for an RMA - only really when it sounds like the PSU is dying. Coil whine is just a natural side-effect of a power stage doing its job, and what is a power supply but a huge primary power stage?

Call Corsair and see if they'll do it. They might, but we had one guy come here bitching about his graphics card's coil whine. Newegg wouldn't replace his card because of it and he really flipped shit on us because we told him there was nothing to be done.

Not sure about that. Coil whine is very rarely grounds for an RMA - only really when it sounds like the PSU is dying. Coil whine is just a natural side-effect of a power stage doing its job, and what is a power supply but a huge primary power stage?

Call Corsair and see if they'll do it. They might, but we had one guy come here bitching about his graphics card's coil whine. Newegg wouldn't replace his card because of it and he really flipped shit on us because we told him there was nothing to be done.

Didn't he threaten them with a class action law suit?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Didn't he threaten them with a class action law suit?

I dunno but he was really really butthurt by it. I think he got kicked by the mods.

iirc it was the guy who thought he should get a full refund because he'd been such a faithful, valued customer who had honoured them with his business.

Kinda fun to watch go down.

I dunno but he was really really butthurt by it. I think he got kicked by the mods.

iirc it was the guy who thought he should get a full refund because he'd been such a faithful, valued customer who had honoured them with his business.

Kinda fun to watch go down.

Oh, I'm thinking about a different guy then. He bought a 980 Ti, had coil whine, threatened to sue them, got it refunded, bought ANOTHER 980 Ti from them (they offered a switch from the get-go, he wanted cash) and it wasn't boosting like he wanted so he refunded that one as well only to buy a THIRD 980 Ti from Newegg. Was fun to watch as well

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Oh, I'm thinking about a different guy then. He bought a 980 Ti, had coil whine, threatened to sue them, got it refunded, bought ANOTHER 980 Ti from them (they offered a switch from the get-go, he wanted cash) and it wasn't boosting like he wanted so he refunded that one as well only to buy a THIRD 980 Ti from Newegg. Was fun to watch as well

ah, no, it was that dude. :D happy memories.

ah, no, it was that dude. :D happy memories.

Yep - he then proceeded to argue with me that he had "done no such thing" - took me literally 5 mins to link him his thread about the law suit :D

We rarely get coil whine claims with our RM, but if its really coming from the PSU, we'll take it back and send you a replacement via RMA process. But before doing so, keep in mind that coil whine or electrical noise could also come other hardware, such as GPU. So just double check if it's really coming from the PSU before proceeding with the RMA. 

Thanks for the answer should i contact corsair directly or the site i purchased it from? 

If your reseller/site is able to take it back and have it swapped out for a new one, I'd go that route, as it's probably going to be quicker and more convenient. Otherwise, you can submit your RMA request at Corsair.force.com and we'll get you sorted out. 

No problem at all :)