What's the best way to overclock my i5-6600K?

z3rk

So, I just upgraded my PC so I can start overcloking, however I never overclocked before. The reason why I am trying to get into overclocking in the first place is because I recently got a i5-6600K.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43

CPU: i5-6600K

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 evo

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Blue

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Any help is appreciated

Give it to me. you can't be trusted lol

Um, typo? That board and the 6600K don't work together...

EDIT: Also, CX PSU!!1!1!11 Yeah, plz get a new PSU if you want to overclock. Antec High Current Gamer/EVGA G2/XFX/Seasonic are my picks.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i just ordered that and its not supported omfg

R.I.P You.

Did you use PCPartPicker? That would have told you.

Sucks to be you right now, sorry.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

R.I.P You.

Did you use PCPartPicker? That would have told you.

no my friend told me everything i just sold my playstation

So, I just upgraded my PC so I can start overcloking, however I never overclocked before. The reason why I am trying to get into overclocking in the first place is because I recently got a i5-6600K.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43

CPU: i5-6600K

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 evo

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Blue

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Any help is appreciated

you need z170 not z97 chipset

no my friend told me everything i just sold my playstation

Oh Christ, I'm sorry.

This is why we use PCPartPicker, people! To avoid stuff like this happening.

Did your friend tell you that CPU and that board work together? Because if he did, stop being friends with him immediately :P

So first just to double check, do you have DDR3 or DDR4 RAM?  

Secondly where did you buy the stuff and is all still shrink wrapped in its boxes?  All is not lost perhaps, you want to return the CX series power supply and depending on budget and RAM you return some of your other components and get the build working.  Also if your place has free returns and assuming you didn't buy a G-Sync monitor, might want to swap the GTX 970 for a R9 390.

So first just to double check, do you have DDR3 or DDR4 RAM?  

Secondly where did you buy the stuff and is all still shrink wrapped in its boxes?  All is not lost perhaps, you want to return the CX series power supply and depending on budget and RAM you return some of your other components and get the build working.  Also if your place has free returns and assuming you didn't buy a G-Sync monitor, might want to swap the GTX 970 for a R9 390.

ah it's fine, i'll just order a new computer. can you suggest me something for around 1200$ with a motherboard that fits? thank you

while i was practicing building i tried taking out my graphics card and for some reason when i pulled it out some plastic bits came off , why did this happen? how do i fixi t?

while i was practicing building i tried taking out my graphics card and for some reason when i pulled it out some plastic bits came off , why did this happen? how do i fixi t?

You probably just broke the PCIE slot on your motherboard.

Please.

Stop.

Don't fuck up anything else.

Watch some build guides on youtube.

Just chill man.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I honestly can't tell if this person is being serious or a troll....

It hurts my head.

"If it doesn't move, you didn't hit it hard enough with a hammer"