Quick and Easy Tutorial: Listen to music on your PC from an external device

iamdarkyoshi

This is a SUPER EASY thing to do that I find it funny how many people do not know that you can do this. You do not need any sort of expensive speakers or headphones, nearly any PC can do this.

What you will need:

A PC

A 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable

A music player with a headphones output (such as a tablet or smartphone)

Step one: Locate the Line In jack on your PC. Most standard PCs have these as a light blue socket. Some custom PCs such as the HP Prodesk 600 use the secondary front panel jack as a headphones, line in, or microphone. Some microphone inputs on some PCs will have the option to use as a line in. Plug your cable into the line in jack.

HEHWgOB.jpg

EzspnCj.jpg

Step two: A popup or message should say that you plugged something into the line in.

siRAGvE.jpg

Step three: Right click your speaker icon in the bottom right, and click "Recording Devices"

yZ8lE5N.jpg

Step four: Right click the Line In input device that shows up, and then click "Properties". Then go to the "Listen" tab and enable "Listen to this device" and click "Apply"

6aBE96E.jpg

Step five: Plug the other end of the cable into your tablet, smartphone, ect and turn up the volume. Increase the volume on the PC if needed under the "Levels" tab in the properties. Do not let the volume indicator hit the top of the graph or the audio will sound bad.

ZjromGO.jpg

Hope some of you found this useful! It makes it easier to pause, skip, ect while in game because you do not need to alt+tab out of games or do it through steam.

...or just press the pause button on your keyboard...

...or just press the pause button on your keyboard...

But I cannot quickly hit "Like" or anything on pandora. That and the multimedia buttons on my keyboard do not work with pandora on the web browser.

And pandora on my tablet is ad free with infinite skips...

You should probably clean that keyboard 

Its worse in the image than in real life. Its just dust. I plan on replacing this thing, anyway. I have disassembled it so many times that half the screws no longer grip anything.

Its worse in the image than in real life. Its just dust. I plan on replacing this thing, anyway. I have disassembled it so many times that half the screws no longer grip anything.

There's these apparently great keyboards on Amazon for 30 USD by a company called "1stPlayer" and I guess they feel mechanical.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

There's these apparently great keyboards on Amazon for 30 USD by a company called "1stPlayer" and I guess they feel mechanical.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SN4AYW?keywords=1stPlayer%20keyboard Hmm...

Edit: they keys themselves apparently do not light up. darn.