Problems with both brand new motherboard and PSU, need help.

Profoundsoup

So I have been building my new system these past few days and when I tried to boot it nothing happened at all. I had all the proper cables connected and everything.

I noticed that my motherboard wasn't even posting with my EVGA P2 PSU so I tried to swap it out with my old corsair power supply. Lone behold it posted! Then I wanted to do it a few more times to see if I still had issues. So I tried booting it again but no luck I do this a few more times during the PSU off and back on trying to see if would post. It posted about 3 times out of the 20 I tried..most of the time it would only post for a fraction of a second just to have the light and number flicker on.

I tested the EVGA PSU with my old motherboard it it made a click but nothing powered on I just got a green light with nothing happening.

The corsair PSU works just fine but when I try it with my new motherboard its extremely random...sometime it posts for a second then shuts off. Sometimes it stays on. Most of the time it doesn't even post.

I don't know what the hell is going on...

probably a faulty mobo, just send it back and get a replacement

But my new PSU doesn't even work with my old motherboard...I have no way to isolate the issue...

So I have been building my new system these past few days and when I tried to boot it nothing happened at all. I had all the proper cables connected and everything.

I noticed that my motherboard wasn't even posting with my EVGA P2 PSU so I tried to swap it out with my old corsair power supply. Lone behold it posted! Then I wanted to do it a few more times to see if I still had issues. So Itryed booting it again but no luck I do this a few more times during the PSU off and back on trying to see if would post. It posted about 3 times out of the 20 I tried..

I tested the EVGA PSU with my old motherboard it it made a click but nothing powered on I just got a green light with nothing happening.

The corsair PSU works just fine but when I try it with my new motherboard its extremely random...sometime it posts for a second then shuts off. Sometimes it stays on. Most of the time it doesn't even post.

I don't know what the hell is going on...

From the tests that you've done so far it sounds like a faulty motherboard and I would contact the manufacturer, as for the PSU, if it doesn't work in 2 completely seperate systems I would render it dead aswell... is the light on your mobo even lit up when the PSU is connected (When the system is off)? Because that atleast indicates that the psu is outputting something.

But my new PSU doesn't even work with my old motherboard...

I think you posted this earlier but try to use the paperclip method to see if the new Evga PSU turns on and give the proper voltages. It sounds like a mobo problem as others have said.

From the tests that you've done so far it sounds like a faulty motherboard and I would contact the manufacturer, as for the PSU, if it doesn't work in 2 completely seperate systems I would render it dead aswell... is the light on your mobo even lit up when the PSU is connected (When the system is off)? Because that atleast indicates that the psu is outputting something.

I have the AsRock Z170 and it only seems to have a light when I power on the system.

But my new PSU doesn't even work with my old motherboard...I have no way to isolate the issue...

send them both back, you probably just got incredibly unlucky 

I think you posted this earlier but try to use the paperclip method to see if the new Evga PSU turns on and give the proper voltages. It sounds like a mobo problem as others have said.

I have no idea how to do that since all my cables are black and I don't have a sata powered fan. If you can tell me how then I can give it a try.

I have no idea how to do that since all my cables are black and I don't have a sata powered fan. If you can tell me how then I can give it a try.

You basically bridge the pins to have the sense line work so the PSU can turn on, afterwards you can test with a multimeter to see if everything is giving the proper voltages:

jump-start-2.jpg

You basically bridge the pins to have the sense line work so the PSU can turn on, afterwards you can test with a multimeter to see if everything is giving the proper voltages:jump-start-2.jpg

I do actually have a fan so I just put the paper clip in and turn it on?

I do actually have a fan so I just put the paper clip in and turn it on?

You can but it would be best to have a multimeter to see what the voltages are at and if the pinout's are correct but if it turns on usually that is a good sign since most PSU's that are DOA just won't work at all. 

Don't bother. EVGA gives you a bypass. Look in your cable bag. It's in there.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Lol I don't have a random multi meter laying around

I have a hard time believing that you got both a bad PSU and a bad mobo at the same time.

Pick a power supply that you want to try. Plug the ATX 24 pin ant the CPU 8 pin power connectors into the board and remove all expansion cards including video card. Remove all RAM DIMMs, except for one. Try booting with a single RAM stick and cpu plugged in to the board. Use the on board video. Make sure that there is nothing other than a cpu and a single stick of ram plugged into the board. Post your results after that.

Don't bother. EVGA gives you a bypass. Look in your cable bag. It's in there.

What do I do with this?

Damn nvm it makes the fan turn on....well the PSU fan turns on...so...idk what that means..

Moved to Troubleshooting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What do I do with this?

Plug it into the 24 pin work same as the paperclip method, to get the PSU to turn on, but as said all you can really get from that is the PSU works. When you plugged the Evga PSU into your old motherboard did it just not work at all? The click sound you heard usually is a relay that turns it on, or off in some cases if there is a short circuit.

Plug it into the 24 pin work same as the paperclip method, to get the PSU to turn on, but as said all you can really get from that is the PSU works. When you plugged the Evga PSU into your old motherboard did it just not work at all? The click sound you heard usually is a relay that turns it on, or off in some cases if there is a short circuit.

Okay let me test it again and report back in a few minutes I'll let u know exactly what happens

Edit - so when I plug the CPU cable and the motherboard cable into my other motherboard the green light comes on. When I press the power button the PSU does nothing...

It also makes a quiet "click" noise

It also makes a quiet "click" noise

Hmm try reseating the RAM I don't see why it would be a problem with your old board if its a functioning unit from the looks of things.

Hmm try reseating the RAM I don't see why it would be a problem with your old board if its a functioning unit from the looks of things.

The small conclusion I came too is I got a bad board and a shorted PSU but I don't know...

The small conclusion I came too is I got a bad board and a shorted PSU but I don't know...

Sounds like bad board sounds very possible, but I'm not too sure about the PSU since it work some times with the new system.

Sounds like bad board sounds very possible, but I'm not too sure about the PSU since it work some times with the new system.

No the new EVGA one didn't work at all, the corsair one did. Except the EVGA fan would spin with the paper clip test. But neither systems would power on from it