PSU Questions

Axno

Does a PSU work like a battery where PC parts draw power as they need it or is the whole wattage of the PSU just wasted constantly.

I'm deciding between a 750w and a 650w with a $15 difference which is nothing. I'm wondering if I keep the 750w for a year or two will my electric bill be significantly higher or not.

So should I keep the 750w for a gtx 980 or just go with 650w for a year or two then buy a new PSU when better parts come out.

This: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx

Or this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx

psus only use the power that the pc needs... what you want to look at for how much power it uses is the ratings on how efficient it is

both of those psus are gold rated which means they are very efficient so effectively they will use roughly the same amount of electricity unless your rig starts to draw more than 650 watts (unlikely)

550 watts is more than enough for any single gpu build, if you plan on adding a second graphics card you may want to go to 750 watts 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

psus only use the power that the pc needs... what you want to look at for how much power it uses is the ratings on how efficient it is

both of those psus are gold rated which means they are very efficient so effectively they will use roughly the same amount of electricity unless your rig starts to draw more than 650 watts (unlikely)

550 watts is more than enough for any single gpu build, if you plan on adding a second graphics card you may want to go to 750 watts 

I mean it is only like a $15 difference between 650 and 750 so should I just go with 750 for a future SLI?

I mean it is only like a $15 difference between 650 and 750 so should I just go with 750 for a future SLI?

Yes, if you have any plans to upgrade to sli you'll need the extra power

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Keep the 750, there will be no affect on you power bill. And the 750 is more useful in the long run.

it is nice to not have to change your psu too if you ever want to add a gpu but you have to ask yourself... how likely are you to get a second gpu 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

it is nice to not have to change your psu too if you ever want to add a gpu but you have to ask yourself... how likely are you to get a second gpu 

It is pretty likely.

It is pretty likely.

well then theres your answer lol

Does a PSU work like a battery where PC parts draw power as they need it or is the whole wattage of the PSU just wasted constantly.

Power supplies only supply electricity as needed, excluding efficiency. Otherwise, that would be a lot of heat being emitted from the units every time the system idled.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch