Bedroom tv setup

Viking Kong

So I currently don't have a TV in my room and am thinking about mounting one on the wall in front of my bed to watch movies. I'd like to be able to watch shows/movies via internet connection and have no idea how to get started. Like if I'd need to connect it to my PC somehow to just stream whatever I play from my PC onto it or do it all from the TV connected via internet? I have no ideas for the TV itself as well, something that's at least 40" and 1080p? with features I suggested above perhaps?

I need ideas!

Smart TV, Sony or Samsung

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

there are multiple ways to do this but the easiest would be get a wifi enabled smart tv and you can use a program like ps3 media server to stream the files. or if you dont want to get a smart tv you can get a cheaper tv and use a ps3 to the same effect

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

there are multiple ways to do this but the easiest would be get a wifi enabled smart tv and you can use a program like ps3 media server to stream the files. or if you dont want to get a smart tv you can get a cheaper tv and use a ps3 to the same effect

I know nothing about smart tv's. Are they the only ones that will be wifi capable? Not sure on the whole tv plus a ps3 option, seems a little limiting?

Any suggestions? Cheap?

budget?

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

I used to have a projector mounted on my wall on top of my bed pointed to the ceiling, that's how I watched movies lol I was so lazy. 

then it broke and I had better things to buy than to replace it. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Don't listen to the people suggesting "Smart" TV's.  They are almost all universally garbage.  The *best* thing to do is get a nice 1080P TV that is within your budget, and then add a media streamer (Roku, Amazon FireTV/FireTV Stick, Chromecast, Nexus Player, etc).  

Why?

The software in "Smart" TV's is nearly never updated, and if it is, it's usually *far* behind the platforms I mentioned.  Also, the menu interface is usually pretty damned slow.  If you select, say, a Roku, and down the line something better comes out, you can take it off the TV and replace it with something newer / better.  "Smart" TV's are almost always more expensive than a non-"Smart" TV.  I don't know if this is the case with all "Smart" TV's, but the one I have (I won it in a contest) takes 30+ seconds just to display a picture because of the software bloat, even though it's set to an HDMI port and shouldn't need to load any of the apps.

No matter what type of TV you purchase, you should be able to connect your computer to it, at which point it'll behave just like a computer monitor.

If your interested in what I did - keep reading...  :)

For both my bedroom and living room, I connected a Nexus Player to a standard 1080p TV.  the Nexus Player has Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV, and a slew of other 'for pay' services available, most of which I personally don't use.  On my Nexus Players, I have the Plex client, Netflix, and Sling TV installed.  I have a Plex Media Server that the Plex client uses to allow me to watch any TV shows / Movies I've stored in the Plex Media Server.  I can also watch Sling TV (I'm paying for the base package plus the "Lifestyle Extra" package).  They come with a nice bluetooth remote, which allows me to mount the Nexus Player behind the TV (so absolutely no wires show).  

Don't listen to the people suggesting "Smart" TV's.  They are almost all universally garbage.  The *best* thing to do is get a nice 1080P TV that is within your budget, and then add a media streamer (Roku, Amazon FireTV/FireTV Stick, Chromecast, Nexus Player, etc).  

Why?

The software in "Smart" TV's is nearly never updated, and if it is, it's usually *far* behind the platforms I mentioned.  Also, the menu interface is usually pretty damned slow.  If you select, say, a Roku, and down the line something better comes out, you can take it off the TV and replace it with something newer / better.  "Smart" TV's are almost always more expensive than a non-"Smart" TV.  I don't know if this is the case with all "Smart" TV's, but the one I have (I won it in a contest) takes 30+ seconds just to display a picture because of the software bloat, even though it's set to an HDMI port and shouldn't need to load any of the apps.

No matter what type of TV you purchase, you should be able to connect your computer to it, at which point it'll behave just like a computer monitor.

If your interested in what I did - keep reading...   :)

For both my bedroom and living room, I connected a Nexus Player to a standard 1080p TV.  the Nexus Player has Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV, and a slew of other 'for pay' services available, most of which I personally don't use.  On my Nexus Players, I have the Plex client, Netflix, and Sling TV installed.  I have a Plex Media Server that the Plex client uses to allow me to watch any TV shows / Movies I've stored in the Plex Media Server.  I can also watch Sling TV (I'm paying for the base package plus the "Lifestyle Extra" package).  They come with a nice bluetooth remote, which allows me to mount the Nexus Player behind the TV (so absolutely no wires show).  

PLEX.... makes me happy.... I also use plex with amazon fire tv.

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |

Any TV,  Chromecast.

I added one to my lounge system where I already have an HTPC installed. Works very well with all the Android gear I own and I actually took it away on holiday with us last week. I was using it to stream movies and tv episodes from my laptop using "VIdeoCast" which is a Chrome extension. You can't get simpler than that. Just make sure your PC is beefy enough to do transcoding on the fly.

Any 1080p TV + RaspberryPi 2 with OSMC. It's much cheaper than a "Smart TV". See :

You control the OS and can update it. You will be able to watch movies from internet as welll as movies shared from your PC.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D | CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 @3.3 GHz | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DDR3 1600 2x4 GB | GPU: MSI GTX 760 2 GB | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1 TB | PSU: Corsair RM750 | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Display: Iiyama Prolite XU2290HS-B1 | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Roccat Savu | OS: Win 7 Pro 64 bits
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.01 GHz | Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI | RAM: Geil DDR2 800 4x2 GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3 GB | Storage: WD 250 GB | PSU: Antec VP500PC | CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo | Display: Iiyama Prolite XU2290HS-B1 | OS: Win 8.1 Pro 64 bits

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 15R N5110