[LOG] Project Alicization - Because even a cheap rig (might) run GTA V

SilicateWielder

post-266506-0-21134000-1449346629.png

Broke highschooler + A tiny pile of cash + spare parts = PS2/3 overkiller! :D

So pretty much the original idea of this build was for it to be around $1000, flying turds collided with a fan and you can probably guess the rest of the story. In the end, Total cost = $80! Have some catloaf! post-266506-0-45544600-1445663542.gif

The idea of this build's name comes from the original Light Novel Series for Sword Art Online, specifically the Project Alicization Arc. But I won't bore you with the further details unless you really want me to. I didn't think to post here beforehand so i'm just wadding up the before pics I have on PCpartpicker and slapping them onto this post.

Before:

Front View:

post-266506-0-11979400-1445663391_thumb.

Window Side panel view:

post-266506-0-09863800-1445663392_thumb.

Side Panel Removed for better look inside:

post-266506-0-10201500-1445663393_thumb.

Rear IO:

post-266506-0-59575700-1445663393_thumb.

What I could come up with for cable management:

post-266506-0-45419200-1445663394_thumb.

Fanceh profile view:

post-266506-0-10467600-1445663395_thumb.

Day 1 - System prep:

Pretty much i've taken apart the rig and prepped it for the new hardware

All hardware, except or the fans, has been removed:

post-266506-0-99984100-1445727445_thumb.

The two, trusty, rear fans. top fan has has a shorted wire repaired.

post-266506-0-54698900-1445727448_thumb.

Floppy drive has been removed, I've left the USB 2.0 card reader, ran into an issue with the light bars but I have resolved it:

post-266506-0-93919400-1445727450_thumb.

160GB Samsung Hard drive:

post-266506-0-41954400-1445731427_thumb.

LEDs:

post-266506-0-49006900-1445734122_thumb.

post-266506-0-88236100-1445734142_thumb.

I'll probably be receiving the Motherboard in about two or three weeks, if i'm lucky I might receive it in about 4-8 days.

Old specs:

• Fancy unbranded case
  • AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.5GHz Single-core processor 
  • 2GB DDR1 400Mhz RAM
  • 128MB Nvidia AGP Graphics Card (Overclocked and given extra memory to play with)
  • 160GB IDE hard drive
  • IDE DVD drive
  • 400W PSU (Inspected for re-use)
  • Floppy Drive
  • Some mobo by some secluded company.

New Specs:

• Fancy unbranded case
  • AMD Sempron 3850 1.5Ghz Quad-core APU with Radeon Graphics (Much upgrade. So wow!)
  • single stick of Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
  • (totally professionally) repaired LED Fan that came with PC originally, and other four fans
  • 160GB Sata HDD
  • MSI AM1l Micro ATX motherboard with micro PCIE for WiFFy
  • I'm also re-using the original PSU, because no monez

I'm still waiting on the Mobo. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

at-work-cookie-monster.gif

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

wow, this is really taking me back.  

I know you don't have much money, but if you're working part time or w/e, try and look on craigslist (or even in the dunpster behind an office) for some kind of Core 2 Duo Mobo and chip.  Most big companies are literally just throwing those old machines out, you could likely snag one for free if you called around.  Furthermore, look for a used 560 ti or something, and I reckon you could get a decent 1080p mid settings PC for... well maybe $30.  

awe yeah mate she's a beaut! :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So old, so sexy 

Exactly why I chose to use this case and not the other one I have lying around.

I know you don't have much money, but if you're working part time or w/e, try and look on craigslist (or even in the dunpster behind an office) for some kind of Core 2 Duo Mobo and chip.  Most big companies are literally just throwing those old machines out, you could likely snag one for free if you called around.  Furthermore, look for a used 560 ti or something, and I reckon you could get a decent 1080p mid settings PC for... well maybe $30.  

I'm actually planning to get a job at Best Buy, probably on the geek squad. I need the money for my A+ test, but I also need a rig for school.

As far a craigslist goes, we have a thing here in the U.S called Free Cycle, and it's kind of like craigslist except there are plenty of listings for free stuff; although I'll start checking around some dumpsters for parts, the idea of finding a 560ti or even possibly a 750ti for free sounds alluring

awe yeah mate she's a beaut! :D

Thank you! 

Day 1 - System prep:

Pretty much i've taken apart the rig and prepped it for the new hardware

All hardware, except or the fans, has been removed:

post-266506-0-99984100-1445727445_thumb.

The two, trusty, rear fans. top fan has has a shorted wire repaired.

post-266506-0-54698900-1445727448_thumb.

Floppy drive has been removed, I've left the USB 2.0 card reader, ran into an issue with the light bars but I have resolved it:

post-266506-0-93919400-1445727450_thumb.

160GB Samsung Hard drive:

post-266506-0-41954400-1445731427_thumb.

LEDs:

post-266506-0-49006900-1445734122_thumb.

post-266506-0-88236100-1445734142_thumb.

I'll probably be receiving the Motherboard in about two or three weeks, if i'm lucky I might receive it in about 4-8 days.

You could also try emailing some local companies that are community driven, that you think might have some old pcs laying around they could give you, you never know until you try, there are some good people in the world mate. ;)

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

UPDATE: MSI AM1l motherboard has been ordered, along with a graphics card I got for $9 with a rebate. Parts will be here within a week or so.

So good :P idk why the multicolor fans became unpopular with modern builds, they look amazing and just sum up PC gaming in general/stereotype :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I think that every PC can run GTA V, but not at an acceptable framerate [emoji4]

I think that every PC can run GTA V, but not at an acceptable framerate [emoji4]

Well consdering my monitor is only at a 1024x768 and the card I'm getting can run the game at decent settings, I would say I did pretty well for myself. :)

And actually, my old one couldn't run it or GTA IV because it doesn't support EES2 or 3

I got my motherboard, graphics card, and wifi adapter earlier than expected!

Alice is up and running, i'll post pics when I get home from school today.

I'm also getting my Best Buy Application today, so i'll have funding in the coming months, let's hope I'm not hired before black Friday, I hear employees can get hurt on that day! D:

• 1 month later...

Well you would be happy to know I got an LGA775 mobo and matching cooler for free, check out Alicization V2 if you want to keep tabs on the build.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499695-build-log-project-alicization-v2-a-rig-for-gaming-coding-and-designing-on-the-cheap/

And actually, my old one couldn't run it or GTA IV because it doesn't support EES2 or 3

Despite what the "official" requirements might say, the hardware needed for GTA IV and V are about the same due to how terrible IV was optimized, so just because it couldn't run IV doesn't mean you shouldn't at least give V a try! :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Despite what the "official" requirements might say, the hardware needed for GTA IV and V are about the same due to how terrible IV was optimized, so just because it couldn't run IV doesn't mean you shouldn't at least give V a try! :)

Well, I am able to run GTA  IV at a low-resolution on my current rig at medium settings, but my only problem is that I've used up about 2/3 of my hard drive space, gotta wait to get some more storage before I can install anything that big.