Intel to manufacture their own NAND memory chips as of 2016

zMeul

source: http://www.intel.com/newsroom/archive/non-volatile_memory_expansion_blog.pdf

this is big, so big that it may impact Micron's business in the long run as they are currently the only 3D NAND supplier for Intel's products

logo_intel.jpg

For our part, we are aggressively working on bringing Intel® Optane™ technology – based on 3D XPoint – to market in Intel® SSDs in 2016. These products have the potential to revolutionize any device, application or service that benefits from fast access to large sets of data. For example, retailers may use Intel’s non-volatile memory products to more quickly identify fraud detection patterns in financial transactions; and healthcare researchers could process and analyze larger data sets in real time, accelerating complex tasks such as genetic analysis and disease tracking.

Today, I am pleased to announce that we now will utilize Intel’s facility in Dalian, China to help expand our manufacturing capacity in non-volatile memory. The expansion is part of our global multi-source supply strategy and will allow us to best serve our customers. We expect initial production of the 3D NAND technology in Dalian in the second half of 2016. 

We have a long-term plan for this facility and may invest up to $5.5 billion over the coming years to transition this site to support leading-edge non-volatile memory production. The Intel Dalian facility has been in operation since 2010, producing 65-nanometer products for Intel.

it's entirely possible that Intel will continue to source NAND chips from Micron as the need arises, but I won't put it past Intel to seek complete manufacturing control over their products

Before I read this apparently importan article; what are NAND memory chips?

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Maybe they'll pull an apple on it and dual source their parts for a while. 

I don't think they'll have trouble making enough of their own in the long run though. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Before I read this apparently importan article; what are NAND memory chips?

NAND flash memory is a type of non-volatile storage technology that does not require power to retain data

utilized in: memory cards, USB flash drives, SSDs ..

Damn.

there goes another partner for Micron.

Its only logical. Its not like they dont know how to make memory. Its not like they dont have the most high tech fabs. Its not like their 14nm ones will be out of a large chunk of work by then, if they manage to get 10nm out in time. Its not like they cant produce it cheaper for themselves.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]