4k video card

GSTARR

Alright, so no need to convince me of some other card;

I've chosen the 980ti

But I don't know which one to get, i.e. MSI lightning which has better specs {on paper} or the Kingpin etc.

Which one would yall recommend, I'm new to overclocking so I'm going to start of slow first, which sort of make the lightning look like a ridiculous choice, however I would like that option available to me in the future, so please don't kick it out because of that.

Here's my build :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4rb4bv

Shipping sucks

Kingpin is the best in terms of raw performance and overclocking capabilities, but it's damn expensive. I'd personally just go for an EVGA ACX 2.0 card (any of them, really, main differences are the default clock and single or dual BIOS) for the warranty, support and good cooler. 

Are you getting that build or already have it? Plus, if you want smooth 4K, 2 Fury (X or non X?)s or 2 980Tis would be better as a single card to play 4k AAA games at max settings smoothly is non existent yet. (Correct me if wrong)

EDIT: @Fate thanks for the tip

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

you need 2x 980 Ti/Fury X for 4K.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

as a single card to play 4k games smoothly is non existent yet. (Correct me if wrong)

Should add AAA titles at max settings to that. Everything else will run perfectly smooth.

@OP why are you going with X79 over X99?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

PC: CPU: i7-5820k  GPU: GTX 1080 ROG Strix OC 8GB  RAM: 32GB DDR4   SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB  Board: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Case: Corsair 760T

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" (i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM)

In my opinion you should buy the cheapest non reference design from a reputable brand.

Are you getting that build or already have it? Plus, if you want smooth 4K, 2 Fury (X or non X?)s or 2 980Tis would be better as a single card to play 4k games smoothly is non existent yet. (Correct me if wrong)

Single card setups include dual gpu cards, so technically you'd be incorrect - an r9 295x2 or devil13 r9 390 would be perfectly capable of a smooth 4k experience at close to max settings. Besides, if you're content with somewhat less than ultra settings (which believe me, doesn't make a huge difference) even a single r9 390 can give you a pretty good experience at 4k.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you getting that build or already have it? Plus, if you want smooth 4K, 2 Fury (X or non X?)s or 2 980Tis would be better as a single card to play 4k games smoothly is non existent yet. (Correct me if wrong)

Yes, but I like my games on ultra. and on ultra, gta v already uses 16gb of vram;

so we're already stretching the limits. the only reason I chose not to sli two titan x's is I'm close to affording this and am impatient ;-;

I will sli the 980 ti i get in the future, however from what I've seen one will do just fine till then

Shipping sucks

Should add AAA titles at max settings to that. Everything else will run perfectly smooth.

@OP why are you going with X79 over X99?

Because I haven't done research into the x99, the x79 was recommended. I'm open to changes if you think the x99 offers more with the current parts

Shipping sucks

Yes, but I like my games on ultra. and on ultra, gta v already uses 16gb of vram;

so we're already stretching the limits. the only reason I chose not to sli two titan x's is I'm close to affording this and am impatient ;-;

I will sli the 980 ti i get in the future, however from what I've seen one will do just fine till then

1 980 Ti @ 4K ultra can barely hold 30 fps - Fury X is actually superior @ 4K

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

GTA V doesn't use 16gb of vram, it's impossible - especially because there isn't a single card on the market with that much available vram for games. Vram doesn't stack in multi-gpu setups.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you getting that build or already have it? Plus, if you want smooth 4K, 2 Fury (X or non X?)s or 2 980Tis would be better as a single card to play 4k AAA games at max settings smoothly is non existent yet. (Correct me if wrong)

EDIT: @Fate thanks for the tip

12gb of vram***

Shipping sucks

GTA V doesn't use 16gb of vram, it's impossible - especially because there isn't a single card on the market with that much available vram for games. Vram doesn't stack in multi-gpu setups.

Sorry, I corrected it too late :(

Shipping sucks

Alright, so no need to convince me of some other card;

I've chosen the 980ti

But I don't know which one to get, i.e. MSI lightning which has better specs {on paper} or the Kingpin etc.

I would recommend the galax card, it shows to be one of the better ones if you can find two of them, or get two gigabyte g1 gaming ones

My Rig: i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz / Asus ROG r9 390X / Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5P / 32GB DDR4 PNY Anarchy / 256gb m.2 / 2x 120gb SSD Raid 0 / 6TB seagate / Dual Dell 23" IPS / Logitech Orion Spark / Steelseries Rival / AKG 553 Massdrop Edition

In my opinion you should buy the cheapest non reference design from a reputable brand.

Single card setups include dual gpu cards, so technically you'd be incorrect - an r9 295x2 or devil13 r9 390 would be perfectly capable of a smooth 4k experience at close to max settings. Besides, if you're content with somewhat less than ultra settings (which believe me, doesn't make a huge difference) even a single r9 390 can give you a pretty good experience at 4k.

Yeah but you don't find too many dual GPU cards at the moment (R9 295x2, PowerColor's Devil13, Titan Z (No), That Fury Gemini thingy soon...etc) and if @OP wants realllly good FPS then a single 390(x) would be pushing it, no?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Kingpin is the best in terms of raw performance and overclocking capabilities

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Jay (JayzTwoCents) achieved a higher overclock on the Lightning.

Even a reference card can perform better than a Kingpin. It all comes down to the silicon lottery.

1 980 Ti @ 4K ultra can barely hold 30 fps - Fury X is actually superior @ 4K

That isn't true.

A friend of mine plays with his 980Ti at 4K and he does not have any problems playing the newsest titles.

And the Fury has 4GB vram over a massive 4096 bit (is that the right number?) memory bus so it's just fine at 4k.

Yes, that's the correct number. The speed of the Fury X's memory is what? 4-5 times higher than the 980 Ti's and thus no real stuttering can be noted even when using the whole memory buffer.

And the Fury has 4GB vram over a massive 4096 bit (is that the right number?) memory bus so it's just fine at 4k.

So fury x > any 980ti?

Shipping sucks

So fury x > any 980ti?

At 4K, somewhat yes.

See for yourself

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Jay (JayzTwoCents) achieved a higher overclock on the Lightning.

Even a reference card can perform better than a Kingpin. It all comes down to the silicon lottery.

Depends how you're cooling them and what you're actually doing with them. The Kingpin is designed for extreme cooling and custom BIOS with increased voltage, hence it's beefy power delivery. And one person getting a better overclock doesn't mean that it's not the "best" card, just that it can be beaten when you get a good chip. You're more likely to get a good chip with a Kingpin than a regular card, as they're binned a lot. 

That isn't true.

A friend of mine plays with his 980Ti at 4K and he does not have any problems playing the newsest titles.

You can play them, but the settings won't be great. I end up running games at 1440p because 4K is just too hard to push a lot of the time. I'd prefer good settings and framerates over 4K most of the time. 

Don't go with the Kingpin. It's ultra expensive and it's only real use is for LN2. If you want EVGA go for the Classified. If you want to water cool, get the reference, otherwise anything else will suffice.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Depends how you're cooling them and what you're actually doing with them. The Kingpin is designed for extreme cooling and custom BIOS with increased voltage, hence it's beefy power delivery. And one person getting a better overclock doesn't mean that it's not the "best" card, just that it can be beaten when you get a good chip. You're more likely to get a good chip with a Kingpin than a regular card, as they're binned a lot. 

You can play them, but the settings won't be great. I end up running games at 1440p because 4K is just too hard to push a lot of the time. I'd prefer good settings and framerates over 4K most of the time.

It is true that the Kingpin has usually better chips and also a better power delivery, but still there is a lot of luck. A good chip isn't guaranteed.

Cooling performance of the Kingpin isn't that great actually.

All 3-fan cooler designs usually beat it, simply because of more surface area. The Windforce cooler has by far the best cooling performance out of all air cooled cards. And there are also a few cards with AIOs that actually cost less.

To make it short: "The best card", doesn't exist.