Noob question about what GPU to buy (no offence to other noobs)

G0LDENB0Y
Go to solution Solved by G0LDENB0Y,

thank you guys

Hello Everyone,

I am on the stage of deciding what GPU to buy. It is the only missing part on my new built rig.

PROC:  i7 4790

MOBO: Asus Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition

RAM: 2x 4GB 1866

PSU: 520W 80 Plus Bronze

-I am not playing high graphics games (game I play is League of Legends)

-I am more on multi task, multi windows (I plan to install virtual machine)

-I use chrome, skype, bluestacks+bot (clash of clans), MU Online (5 windows)

-I run my pc 24/7 doing the following mentioned above non stop.

My question is, how do i decide which GPU to buy. What is enough and a little bit of more for those process mentioned.

Should I get a 128bit or 256bit?

Should I get a 2gb or 4gb or 8gb?

My budget is about 200-300 Can go less or more, but budget is not my issue. 

My issue is I want to maximize my performance but enough + lets say 20% extra for what I am doing.

I hope techie people can give me some advise and points on making my decision.

Thank you very much,

-G

Hello Everyone,

I am on the stage of deciding what GPU to buy. It is the only missing part on my new built rig.

My question is, how do i decide which GPU to buy. What is enough and a little bit of more for those process mentioned.

My issue is I want to maximize my performance but enough + lets say 20% extra for what I am doing.

Thank you very much,

-G

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you already built the system? If not, what's your overall budget and what's your location?

Sig under construction.

R9 390 for around $300USD is the best choice for that price range.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you already built the system? If not, what's your overall budget and what's your location?

He said $300, for now I'm assuming USD.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I'd say an R9 380.

Over a 390?

Spoiler

a 380, a 390 is overkill for LoL and your PSU might not be able to handle it. Even a 370/950 would be more than enough for LoL.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

a 380, a 390 is overkill for LoL and your PSU might not be able to handle it. Even a 370/950 would be more than enough for LoL.

Someone's running a 290 with a 400W PSU, it should be fine. :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you!

Yes I already built it, just GPU is missing.

Someone's running a 290x with a 400W PSU, it should be fine. :P

*290 Also, its a 290 with a i3, not a i7 4790

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

R9 390 or if you can get a gtx 980 on craigslist for 300 like i did recently. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

He said $300, for now I'm assuming USD.

Yes it is USD sorry for not stating

Someone's running a 290x with a 400W PSU, it should be fine. :P

Thank you.

Follow up questions:

If I get r9 380 or 390

:D

Seems to me gaming is very much a secondary concern . He is mainly going to be  using the system for 'multi tasking', gaming being very much an also ran.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Yeah i could fully recommend a 380 :), (4GB version). Will work really nice with LOL and all that.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Seems to me gaming is very much a secondary concern . He is mainly going to be  using the system for 'multi tasking', gaming being very much an also ran.

correct @soup

basically gaming is not my top priority. I might play LoL once in a while, or might try new games.

BUT my main function is to use it 24/7 multitasking different applications.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much,

-G

given your use case, I'd go with a 960 that had a zero fan mode, so that it would run silently at your average gaming load from League of Legends.

the GTX 960 Strix from Asus advertises to run silently playing League of Legends and Starcraft, and it gets my personal recommendation. it is available from newegg for $201 and has a $20 mail in rebate. I've always gotten my rebates, but they take about 2 months to be processed, which would bring it down to $181. it is available here: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121913&cm_re=gtx_960-_-14-121-913-_-Product

you could go with a higher performance card, but the 960 will already do 300+ frames in LoL at max settings, so I don't really think you need it, and would be better served buying yourself something else nice like saving up for a fancy monitor.

edit: it is also available in a 4gb model, which would be my chioce as I run at 1440p with high res textures on various games, but I can confirm that 2gb is still plenty for 1440p on LoL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121928&cm_re=gtx_960-_-14-121-928-_-Product

I also really like having lots of displayport connectors, as it is a much more adaptable port and has a locking connector.