What is Bitcoin?

What is bitcoin? How can I earn them? Where can I spend them? What can I buy with them? Are there any laws? Im so confused.

Something that /died/ takes forever to mine

Don't bother trying to earn them, you need high end ASIC cards to get any now a days

Any place that accepts Bitcoins as payment

Anything (seriously, thats why we have the deep web, their primary currency btw)

No laws 

its a waste of your time and money

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

forget you ever heard the name. its a waste of time at this point

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency based on public-private key cryptography. It uses a blockchain to document transactions and was the first cryptocurrency, leading to the creation of many cryptocurrencies and some really interesting advances.

Bitcoin can be earned through "mining" which is the process of using processing power to solve a mathematical problem. This will build the blockchain and release some coins to the successful miner. Equally you can "earn" them by having someone pay you in Bitcoin.

You can spend them anywhere that say they accept Bitcoin. There are a few companies that accept it now, notably the Humble Bundle and Scan which I have personally paid using Bitcoin.

There are now some laws surrounding cryptocurrencies such as some US states declaring them property, but generally they aren't hugely well policed.

If you are interested in Bitcoin then this thread will help you out if you want to learn about it:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10886-introduction-to-bitcoins/

I encourage you to research it if you are interested, cryptocurrencies are fascinating in my opinion and definitely worth checking out. Please don't start mining cyrptocurrencies, they are very computationally expensive and you won't be able to make any money.

This thread is pretty negative, don't let it put you off researching crpytocurrencies.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Coins that have been bitten.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

It'll give you cancer. /s

Fold instead.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER