SSD for Win XP based TriCaster (I know)

So i know this question has been beaten around the bush a lot but i want it settled once and for all. Here goes:

At my school, we do broadcasting of a daily show for school events, football games, etc. using a tricaster (model number idk).

It runs windows xp and is sooooo slow with a ??GB SATA HDD (probably 5200rpm).

Heres the thing: this baby is very expensive and cant be replaced due to our interfaces (controllers, XLR connectors) that we dont want to have to throw away.

Long story short, we want to keep our tricaster, but do minor maintenece (upgrade ram/and add an ssd)

I already know about turning off defrag scheduling and using 3rd party trim scheduling, but:

QUESTIONS:

1. What else would i need to do to make an SSD compatible?

2. Does any particular ssd play nice with XP?

You will need a program to run the Trim command because Windows XP doesn't support SSDs and therefore doesn't support Trim.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ive seen videos with SSD's with Windows XP, by the looks of it any SSD should be fine

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

kk. but i mean besides trim scheduling, do i need to worry about anything else?

I don't think so.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Your mobo may be sata gen 2 only which would limit the ssd to 370 or so MB/s. It's still ok, but you shouldn't worry about super fast ssds.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I haven't used a Tricaster since High School, and ours had Vista on it, but as long as the SSD is larger than the existing HDD and you make sure to clone it exactly (I mean so that it still boots up, some clone methods require you to run the "Repair Installation" tool from a windows install disk in order to fix the bootloader) then I don't see a problem. You might also see if the SSD manufacturer has software available for XP to manage the garbage collection / TRIM for you. If not I wouldn't worry too much about TRIM as long as you get a newer SSD from one of the major brands - they all have steady state (i.e. Without TRIM) performance that will still be much better than a HDD. And also an SSD without TRIM mainly slows down in write speed, not read speed.

Bonus option: once you get the Tricaster working from the SSD, see if there is space inside to mount a second drive, or get a USB enclosure for the old hard drive. But make sure to erase the hard drive, as I'm not sure what the boot order on a tricaster is - it might have USB set before the internal disk.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: