upgrade to AMD Fx-8320?

Go to solution Solved by Hans Power,

Now, here's a reason to finally reset my password. And what I have to say is NOOO, don't do it!

Right now is the worst possible moment to get an AMD CPU because ZEN is in the pipeline for next year and the current AMD FX CPUs were outdated 2 years ago in terms of features and architecture. Also I had an AMD CPU before (a Phenom II X4 965) which theoretically should have been fine in terms of pure performance but there is something with AMD CPUs which makes them chug a lot with some modern games (low CPU utilization and a lot of stuttering for some reason). I had this problem with Grey Goo for example and a few other games. That said you would be fine with *most* games but on the other hand that doesn't count for much if the one game you really want to play just stutters like hell.

I would suggest waiting a bit or see if you could grab a cheap used Ivy Bridge i5 CPU and mainboard (Z77 chipset, socket 1155) - those are still more advanced than AMD FX chipsets and also faster in games due to faster single core performance.

*Note: I'm currently in Poland where we have different prices (and 20% sales tax) and the store I will be buying from is http://www.komputronik.pl/

*edit: 1 USD = ~4 PLN, comouter will be used for gaming and light rendering

Why do I want to upgrade? I want to build myself a new computer and I'm thinking of buying it piece by piece as I do not have a job. I am also running on a 5 year old computer with a AMD Athlon x2 250 CPU [computer specs in signature]

Why AMD not Intel? For the same price I could only get a Intel i3 (or a weak Xeon) and I have seen people compare this CPU to Intel i5's (which are 200 zł+ [~$55] more).

The AMD FX-8320:

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/174696/Sprzet_komputerowy_/Podzespoly/AMD_X8_FX_8320_3_50GHz_BOX.html

Same priced Intel CPU:

Xeon: http://www.komputronik.pl/product/204111/Sprzet_komputerowy_/Podzespoly/Intel_reg_Xeon_reg_E5_2603_1_80_GHz_10_MB_Cache_V2.html

i3: http://www.komputronik.pl/product/230150/Elektronika/Cz%C4%99%C5%9Bci_PC/Intel_Core_i3_4360.html

Thoughts? Suggestions?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

IDK about your prices, but in the states for 50 USD more you can get the latest unlocked i5. 

So I'd say

nooo noo noo 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i3 due to the single core performance. It would be better if you actually told us what you're going to do with the computer though :P

O yea sorry forgot to write what it's for ;) mostly gaming but also video rendering (not too often but when I do it's usually a long video (rendering videos for home family use like from vacation which can be long)

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Gaming?

i3 all the way

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

IDK about your prices, but in the states for 50 USD more you can get the latest unlocked i5. 

So I'd say

nooo noo noo

That is why I gave links to a Polish tech store. 1 USD = ~4 PLN

*Note: I'm currently in Poland where we have different prices (and 20% sales tax) and the store I will be buying from is http://www.komputronik.pl/

Why do I want to upgrade? I want to build myself a new computer and I'm thinking of buying it piece by piece as I do not have a job. I am also running on a 5 year old computer with a AMD Athlon x2 250 CPU [computer specs in signature]

Why AMD not Intel? For the same price I could only get a Intel i3 (or a weak Xeon) and I have seen people compare this CPU to Intel i5's (which are 200 zł+ [~$55] more).

The AMD FX-8320:

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/174696/Sprzet_komputerowy_/Podzespoly/AMD_X8_FX_8320_3_50GHz_BOX.html

Same priced Intel CPU:

Xeon: http://www.komputronik.pl/product/204111/Sprzet_komputerowy_/Podzespoly/Intel_reg_Xeon_reg_E5_2603_1_80_GHz_10_MB_Cache_V2.html

i3: http://www.komputronik.pl/product/230150/Elektronika/Cz%C4%99%C5%9Bci_PC/Intel_Core_i3_4360.html

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Get this.. its cheap and works well.

same clocks as the much more expensive 4360

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/266467/Elektronika/Cz%C4%99%C5%9Bci_PC/Intel_Core_i3_4170.html

O yea sorry forgot to write what it's for ;) mostly gaming but also video rendering (not too often but when I do it's usually a long video (rendering videos for home family use like from vacation which can be long)

I would get an FX 6300/FX 6350 or the i3

An i3 WILL preform better in single threaded tasks.

A FX will preform better in Multi threaded tasks.

If you are only editing once and a while, get an i3.

If you are editing all the time, get a FX!

Comparing CPU's based on the price of the CPU alone is disingenuous. We all know AMD systems have hidden costs, so the 8320 wouldn't have been an option to begin with if the choice is between that and an i3. Since it requires a 8+2 VRM board and an aftermarket cooler to even make it viable as a system. Putting it well over the costs of the i3 system.

Same goes for the FX-6300, 6+2 and an aftermarket cooler are not luxuries.

I would get an FX 6300/FX 6350 or the i3

An i3 WILL preform better in single threaded tasks.

A FX will preform better in Multi threaded tasks.

If you are only editing once and a while, get an i3.

If you are editing all the time, get a FX!

Get this.. its cheap and works well.

same clocks as the much more expensive 4360

http://www.komputronik.pl/product/266467/Elektronika/Części_PC/Intel_Core_i3_4170.html

Gaming?

i3 all the way

i3 due to the single core performance. It would be better if you actually told us what you're going to do with the computer though :P

I will want to play gta v with this processor and in the system requirements the fx 8350 is in recommend with the i5 and the i3 is closer to the minimum requirements...

fx chips are expired. that i3 is the most expensive i3.if you want i3 get the 4170.for gaming it would be better than the fx anyway. but if you have money for the i3 4360 i think you can afford the i5 4460 

AMD CPU's are pretty terrible in GTA 5. But an i3 isn't really going to fair much better either. That game i'd recommend an i5 at minimum..

My FX 6300 is bottlenecked by my R9 280.

So you are wrong.

So you are wrong.

pfft

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So you are wrong.

Oh man, are we STILL having this debate? Are you seriously going to defend AMD FX chips in 2015. The post-purchase rationalization is real.

gta5.png

gta5.png

Video, GTA @ 1minute

AMD CPU's are pretty terrible in GTA 5. But an i3 isn't really going to fair much better either. That game i'd recommend an i5 at minimum..

You are not helping and you sound like a Intel fanboy and the Intel i5 is too expensive for me right now!

So you are wrong.

http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/page6.html

fx 8xxx clocked at 4.6 sucks for gaming. your fx 6300 is bad for gaming. an i3 IS better for gaming than any amd cpu. 

however i recommend a cheap motherboard + the i5 4460.

give us a budget in your currency since we know the shop already

http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/page6.html

fx 8xxx clocked at 4.6 sucks for gaming. your fx 6300 is bad for gaming. an i3 IS better for gaming than any amd cpu. 

however i recommend a cheap motherboard + the i5 4460.

give us a budget in your currency since we know the shop already

~650 pln

Oh man, are we STILL having this debate? Are you seriously going to defend AMD FX chips in 2015. The post-purchase rationalization is real.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

I understand.

I am saying that the FX is fine.

It is NOT great and it isn't horrible, it is FINE.

My GPU is holding my CPU down, I know it isn't a boss GPU, but it is FINE.

You are not helping and you sound like a Intel fanboy

That has nothing to do with fanboyism, I said the Intel i3 is terrible in that game aswell. Someone speaking facts that don't particularly appeal to your cognitive bias does not make the person disingenuous. 

Doing character assasinations on those people however, does make YOU disingenuous.

Man, 2015 still i have to defend myself for saying AMD FX chips are bad in CPU-limited games. Unbelieveable.

That has nothing to do with fanboyism, I said the Intel i3 is terrible in that game aswell. Someone speaking facts that don't particularly appeal to your cognitive bias does not make the person disingenuous. 

Doing character assasinations on those people however, does make YOU disingenuous.

Man, 2015 still i have to defend myself for saying AMD FX chips are bad in CPU-limited games. Unbelieveable.

Intel i5 is out of my price range

Intel i5 is out of my price range

Then save for one, instead of settling for something barely breaking 40 fps.

I understand.

I am saying that the FX is fine.

It is NOT great and it isn't horrible, it is FINE.

My GPU is holding my CPU down, I know it isn't a boss GPU, but it is FINE.

That doesn't change the simple fact that in the relative sense, AMD FX chips are scoring poorly in those types of IPC-scaling games. Might have something to do with the fact their IPC is only 40-50% of Intel's. Not some AMD prejudice. You people sound like leftists sometimes. Like pointing out gender/racial differences is somehow being racist/sexist. Wouldn't be surprised if that is a trait particular to that sort of personality.

~650 pln

for the mobo+cpu i mean. if you want to buy part by part i suggest you keep your money until you have for the motherboard+cpu combo atleast.

You are not helping and you sound like a Intel fanboy and the Intel i5 is too expensive for me right now!

well he just told the truth. fx sucks at gta 5