Sleeve a non-modular psu?

megadarkwood
Go to solution Solved by PBaines,

What about sleeving up to just before the PSU?

Is very very untidy and would definitely not recommend.

If you're going to do such a premium thing of sleeving a power supply do it right, do it once. Do it the best.

I LOVE sleeving a non-modular power supply over a modular. You don't have to have your sleeve lengths 100% accurate, you could have it up to 20mm short in some cases and you wouldn't even know. However if you are 20mm short you aren't very intelligent... lol.

-Simple take the housing off, 

-take all of the pins out (if they are black then do not take them all out cos there's no way to know unless you have a voltage meter) since you can google to where the wires go, as they are colour coordinated. (eg any red wire can go in any hole made for a red wire)

-You will find that there will probably be a double Orange, Red and a yellow I think that you will have to snip and reconnect it as other wires are inbetween the double wire meaning it's a pain in the arse to sleeve. Might not make sense, and it's a bit hard to explain but when you get to sleeving a non-modular PSU you'll know what I mean

-Sleeve the wire: NOTE if you just stretch the sleeve, and heatshrink the wire inside the PSU as is it has nothing to "hold" itself and the sleeve will just slip down the wire. You MUST use some super glue. 

-Stretch sleeve, find point where sleeve ends. put glue under the sleeve, and where the shrink would be too. heat the heatshrink, hold the sleeve for 15seconds in place while blowing on the heatshrink to cool it down and set the glue.

-Since the PSU is only made to have the cables with one big sleeve around it'll be very very hard to put the cover back on the PSU. I usually get my dremel out and cut a big square for the cables to go through. Makes things ten times easier.

If that sounds hard; know that a fully modular is harder to make perfect than a semi-modular ;)

is it possible?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Yes, but you have to take apart the power supply.

Are there any tutorials? What tools would be needed?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I don't know about tutorials, but there are people on the forums who have done it so you may want to ask them.

Quote me to get a reply!

From my understanding this is actually a pretty hard thing to do. Not to mention that if you mess up there could be consequences. Like your house burning down.

From my understanding this is actually a pretty hard thing to do. Not to mention that if you mess up there could be consequences. Like your house burning down.

im willing to take the risk

im willing to take the risk

You can but you will also have to do a little bit of PSU case modding to get all the new cables through

I am a happy wuffy

Couldn't you just open the case of the psu up, sleeve past the hole in the casing then finish it with heat shrink.

That way you don't actually take the cable apart but you can still be happy cuz you can't see the wire without opening the case up.

Couldn't you just open the case of the psu up, sleeve past the hole in the casing then finish it with heat shrink.

That way you don't actually take the cable apart but you can still be happy cuz you can't see the wire without opening the case up.

That might work. Ill have to try that soon

Or.. ya know... you could die.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Mmm... I wouldn't go poking around in there like that, just my opinion. How much money do you have to spend? because if you aren't going to have a nice case etc. there's really no point, it will still be ugly and you've just wasted a lot of time.

... and you've just wasted a lot of time.

I personally would not consider that "wasted" "time" myself. That would be fun. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yea I wouldn't risk it if I were you. I would just get cable extensions from Bitfenix to save the trouble and hide all the psu cables in the back.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

YES THIS CAN BE DONE!

for semi modular at least. Ive donw it and the results are lookin good. if you are still interested ill take some pictures and show you what I mean.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Should just get sleeved extensions to save the time and risk

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

is it possible?

I'm sorry i'm new here but i have to jump in on this.

First unplug the power supply from the wall,then hold down the pc power button for 20 or so seconds to drain it.

Hell do it twice because you can  and will die if you touch the cap's inside.

You need to take the top cover off of the PSU and make the hole bigger,at least 10mm all around.

Run your sleeving inside then making sure not to hit or squeeze any components while doing so.

It helps to super glue and shrink wrap each wire inside the PSU to keep it in there permanently.

Done right it can  look nice but a modular will always look better.

Good luck with it :)

PS Lutro0 customs on youtube will tell you all you need to know.

I found him the most helpful when i did my sleeving.

Singularity Computers did this.  I would probably recommend just getting extensions if you're not comfortable opening up your power supply and possibly using a dremel to make the hole bigger. 
http://youtu.be/aUzcOGvZRN4?t=13m42s

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

You do not have to take the psu apart, you can just simply sleeve it till the end and put a wide heatshrink around the cables that come out of your psu. That is the most effecient and probably safest way to sleeve your non-modular power supply.

What about sleeving up to just before the PSU?

If you're going to do such a premium thing of sleeving a power supply do it right, do it once. Do it the best.

I LOVE sleeving a non-modular power supply over a modular. You don't have to have your sleeve lengths 100% accurate, you could have it up to 20mm short in some cases and you wouldn't even know. However if you are 20mm short you aren't very intelligent... lol.

-take all of the pins out (if they are black then do not take them all out cos there's no way to know unless you have a voltage meter) since you can google to where the wires go, as they are colour coordinated. (eg any red wire can go in any hole made for a red wire)

-You will find that there will probably be a double Orange, Red and a yellow I think that you will have to snip and reconnect it as other wires are inbetween the double wire meaning it's a pain in the arse to sleeve. Might not make sense, and it's a bit hard to explain but when you get to sleeving a non-modular PSU you'll know what I mean

-Sleeve the wire: NOTE if you just stretch the sleeve, and heatshrink the wire inside the PSU as is it has nothing to "hold" itself and the sleeve will just slip down the wire. You MUST use some super glue. 

-Stretch sleeve, find point where sleeve ends. put glue under the sleeve, and where the shrink would be too. heat the heatshrink, hold the sleeve for 15seconds in place while blowing on the heatshrink to cool it down and set the glue.

-Since the PSU is only made to have the cables with one big sleeve around it'll be very very hard to put the cover back on the PSU. I usually get my dremel out and cut a big square for the cables to go through. Makes things ten times easier.

If that sounds hard; know that a fully modular is harder to make perfect than a semi-modular ;)

I will probably use this! Thanks! :D

probable didnt take the time and let the capacitors discharge simple as unplug and hit the power button and wait 5 mins. Its like when you hit the switch/unplug the PSU the LED on the board slowly goes off and just not instantly. The capacitors help when "brown outs" happen and keep the power where its supposed to be at.  So OP if you do do this, make sure to discharge it. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/16/2013 at 8:23 PM, criso8 said:

or dying

insert aech tee em el here or something