Win7 Maintenance?

acwilson96
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

The link is actually not good.

-> No mention of task scheduler for looking at startup programs

-> The registry tweak, suggested is bad. It says to set the value to 1, which as per Microsoft documentation says: 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both. So, you have it already. Now you disable the boot one, so Windows will take more time to boot.

-> Disabling Aero, unless you have a very old low end graphic card, will hurt performance, as you'll be using XP engine, which means using the CPU to draw. CPU suck at drawing.. hence why we buy graphic cards.

-> Prioritizing process is something you should not normally do.

-> Disabling font, does not accelerate things since Windows 7. So it's now officially a myth. Also you can hide them, instead of removing them.

-> Windows feature will free up space, not give you performance.

-> Unless you you have a Pentium 3 500MHz, disabling sound won't increase performance.

Sorry, not good advice.

For better advice (assuming you are using an HDD):

-> Using CCleaner you can see your startup programs, and task scheduler entries all in "one" location (well the same programs, they are in different tabs). Remove anything related to updates of programs, and startup programs you don't really need.

-> You can also deep defrag your HDD if you want. Not only it will defrag your data, but move it so that it's much more consecutive based on access time, allowing for example, to have all your data related to boot process, or starting a program, to be one after another. Making things go faster. A program I recommend (although not free, but there is a trial version, and you really need to do only once per Windows install.. so might as well be seen as free), is O&O defrag (http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag), get the 64-bit version if you have Windows 7 64-bit. Once installed and started, select your drive parition, and click on Zone Filling, then click on OK. Now simply click on the arrow of the start button, and select OPTIMIZE/Complete.

This process will take several hours, depending on the degree of fragementation and how much data you. It can easilly take 8h if you have a lot of stuff. Better do it over night. Be sure to set Windows to NOT go to sleep after a while... you don't want your computer to go to sleep while it defrags :)

Once done, restart your computer, and enjoy!

-> Another thing you do, is enable AHCI mode for your SATA controller. AHCI mode allows NCQ (Native COmmand Queue) which makes your HDD much more smart in seeking your data:

I think this picture explains it all:

ncq-diagram.gif

The reduction in movement will allow increase in performance.

For the specs you have, the above tips should help the most.

Anything else will just be superficial.

What are some maintenance techniques/tasks I can do to make my PC run faster.

So far I: Defrag/CCCleaner/Virus Scan

What else can I be doing?

I5 4670k | 7870 Tahiti LE | 1600MHz 2x4GB

Thanks, one last question: I wan't to get an SSD to improve boot times and just general windows performance. What is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 in terms of space required?

I5 4670k | 7870 Tahiti LE | 1600MHz 2x4GB

Thanks, one last question: I wan't to get an SSD to improve boot times and just general windows performance. What is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 in terms of space required?

I'm seeing 25.6GB when I right click on the Windows folder. I'd go with a 60GB SSD, if only used for some programs and W7.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The link is actually not good.

-> No mention of task scheduler for looking at startup programs

-> The registry tweak, suggested is bad. It says to set the value to 1, which as per Microsoft documentation says: 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both. So, you have it already. Now you disable the boot one, so Windows will take more time to boot.

-> Disabling Aero, unless you have a very old low end graphic card, will hurt performance, as you'll be using XP engine, which means using the CPU to draw. CPU suck at drawing.. hence why we buy graphic cards.

-> Prioritizing process is something you should not normally do.

-> Disabling font, does not accelerate things since Windows 7. So it's now officially a myth. Also you can hide them, instead of removing them.

-> Windows feature will free up space, not give you performance.

-> Unless you you have a Pentium 3 500MHz, disabling sound won't increase performance.

Sorry, not good advice.

For better advice (assuming you are using an HDD):

-> Using CCleaner you can see your startup programs, and task scheduler entries all in "one" location (well the same programs, they are in different tabs). Remove anything related to updates of programs, and startup programs you don't really need.

-> You can also deep defrag your HDD if you want. Not only it will defrag your data, but move it so that it's much more consecutive based on access time, allowing for example, to have all your data related to boot process, or starting a program, to be one after another. Making things go faster. A program I recommend (although not free, but there is a trial version, and you really need to do only once per Windows install.. so might as well be seen as free), is O&O defrag (http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag), get the 64-bit version if you have Windows 7 64-bit. Once installed and started, select your drive parition, and click on Zone Filling, then click on OK. Now simply click on the arrow of the start button, and select OPTIMIZE/Complete.

This process will take several hours, depending on the degree of fragementation and how much data you. It can easilly take 8h if you have a lot of stuff. Better do it over night. Be sure to set Windows to NOT go to sleep after a while... you don't want your computer to go to sleep while it defrags :)

Once done, restart your computer, and enjoy!

-> Another thing you do, is enable AHCI mode for your SATA controller. AHCI mode allows NCQ (Native COmmand Queue) which makes your HDD much more smart in seeking your data:

I think this picture explains it all:

ncq-diagram.gif

The reduction in movement will allow increase in performance.

For the specs you have, the above tips should help the most.

Anything else will just be superficial.

All I do is look through and organize all my folders and delete all the files I don't need off my SSD since I only have a 120GB SSD.

I do this once a week, whenever I have time.

The Syndicate

@GoodBytes. The statement about disabling Aero hurting performance is wrong. I've disabled it before on my Vista computer, and it increases performance. Also, it states "unwanted startup programs." Yes, it mentions nothing of task scheduler, but it's about improving performance in W7. Not really seeing what you're implying.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

60GB is the minimum. Windows will take about 35GB with your profile account, and free space allocated for your program settings, web browser cache, and temp directory. I would say even 40GB to be on the safe side. The rest will be free space for programs. Oh and Windows update, don't forget that. Windows keeps a backup of the old files, for allow you to uninstall updates.

I recommend a 120GB SSD + HDD (your current HDD).

Not only you'll have more space, but higher the capacity also translate to higher performance. But beside that, 120GB allows you to be comfortable, and not worry about being out of space. Plus you can install a few games on it. Use your HDD to store your personal files so: Downloads, Documents, Music, Video, etc. all your profile folders, except AppData, can be relocated from the properties of each folder (see Location tab)

Hope this helps.

@GoodBytes. The statement about disabling Aero hurting performance is wrong. I've disabled it before on my Vista computer, and it increases performance.

With your old GeForce FX 5600? You need a graphic card with at least 256MB of memory for Aero, as per recommended by Microsoft and support for pixel shader 2.0. Unless your computer is over 5 years old, or very weak graphic card, it should not be a problem. I think his: 7870 Tahiti LE can handle a bit of transparency effect. My 5year old laptop, battery life is reduced by 30min if I disable Aero (out of 10h with Win7 64-bit. 50min with Vista 64-bit)

With your old GeForce FX 5600? You need a graphic card with at least 256MB of memory for Aero, as per recommended by Microsoft and support for pixel shader 2.0. Unless your computer is over 5 years old, or very weak graphic card, it should not be a problem. I think his: 7870 Tahiti LE can handle a bit of transparency effect. My 5year old laptop, battery life is reduced by 30min if I disable Aero (out of 10h with Win7 64-bit. 50min with Vista 64-bit)

I was using a laptop with an Intel Pentium Dual Core. If what you're saying is correct about making the CPU drawing everything...it should've made things worse, but it didn't. At the time, the laptop was 2 years old.

I was using a laptop with an Intel Pentium Dual Core. If what you're saying is correct about making the CPU drawing everything...it should've made things worse, but it didn't. At the time, the laptop was 2 years old.

Intel GPU?

Intel GPU?

Yes.

Yes.

My point exactly, especially back then... where it was more an insult, than a something I would consider adequate for general computer usage (Haswell).

Intel GPU on the Core 2 Duo motherboard chipset was very bad already.. Aero was not smooth.. but on a Pentium D, ouch.

Oh and Intel GPUs uses the CPU.

My point exactly, especially back then... where it was more an insult, than a something I would consider adequate for general computer usage (Haswell).

Intel GPU on the Core 2 Duo motherboard chipset was very bad already.. Aero was not smooth.. but on a Pentium D, ouch.

Oh and Intel GPUs uses the CPU.

But...the CPU is less powerful....it would've made things worse. But it didn't.

But...the CPU is less powerful....it would've made things worse. But it didn't.

Intel GPU, especially back then, was heavily dependent  CPU. Back in the days, you could see more of the Intel GPU as an interpreter of the CPU to be able to understand graphic related commands and support for OpenGl and DirectX, with some video acceleration chip, and a signal converter to VGA and FPD-Link (laptop screen connector). So in your case, yes using Aero was making thing worst, much worst.