AM1 socket for small game server

Kyzer

Dunno, was just thinking about it. They're slow buggers, but a quad core at 1.6/2.05ghz should be enough for something like it, right?

I don't know, maybe kabini core is way too slow processing for that kind of thing. Never really studied them, never cared much about them. Just wondering if it would work.

Ex: tf2, csgo, css etc

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Depends on the game

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

They are mobile CPU's and they used to be called "FS1b"

My laptop has a A10 5750m which is AM1

Depends on the game

Updated main post

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

you're better off with a pentium/celeron.

or one of asrock's boards with a soldered chip.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/D1800M/ for example. (totally still had this on my clipboard from an other thread)

Can't tell if fanboy/bias post or being honest

Can't tell with this forum

Anyway, main point being is to make cheap effective game server thing for whatever

Spoiler

Can't tell if fanboy/bias post or being honest

Can't tell with this forum

well... the asrock boards are a really interesting low cost platform.

and well... sauce engine servers dont take that much resources, but having stronger threads certainly isnt a bad thing.

Dunno, was just thinking about it. They're slow buggers, but a quad core at 1.6/2.05ghz should be enough for something like it, right?

I don't know, maybe kabini core is way too slow processing for that kind of thing. Never really studied them, never cared much about them. Just wondering if it would work.

They really arent that bad performing products, especially considering the price.  If this is the only thing the computer was having to do, then yes it absolutly do this just fine.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

and well... sauce engine servers dont take that much resources, but having stronger threads certainly isnt a bad thing.

Looking for best cost effective hardware. I feel like getting a vpn and running a tf2/csgo server on the side for no reason, maybe gmod because that tends to fill up quick

Spoiler

They really arent that bad performing products, especially considering the price. If this is the only thing the computer was having to do, then yes it absolutly do this just fine.

So, let's say, Windows XP or barebones Linux running 1-3 servers? What's the limit do you think on a 5350

Spoiler

So, let's say, Windows XP or barebones Linux running 1-3 servers? What's the limit do you think on a 5350

my only experience with AMD is an athlon 64, which handled Gmod quite well, until you spawn in hundreds of props xD

do you have a specific budget in mind, i could toss around on pcpp to see what you could potentially get.

I have an AM1, AMD 5350 2.05Ghz 4 core CPU in a desktop I have that I use for streaming content from my desktop to it for Steam in-home streaming. They're great little CPU's and I think you'd be fine with one of them for small servers. (less then 20 people).

EDIT: If you want OP I can set up a server later (Like a day or two from now) and test the performance.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I have an AM1, AMD 5350 2.05Ghz 4 core CPU in a desktop I have that I use for streaming content from my desktop to it for Steam in-home streaming. They're great little CPU's and I think you'd be fine with one of them for small servers. (less then 20 people).

EDIT: If you want OP I can set up a server later (Like a day or two from now) and test the performance.

Could if you want, ty for input

+1 respect for shrek

Spoiler

Honestly, coming from an owner of one of the Kabini chips (A6-5200, aka Athlon 5350), it'll do just fine hosting 4 Source engine servers.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Honestly, coming from an owner of one of the Kabini chips (A6-5200, aka Athlon 5350), it'll do just fine hosting 4 Source engine servers.

my athlon 64 used to host 6 Gmod servers on a gig of ram. its just a matter of how much is going on on those servers.

Kyzer, on 14 Oct 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

I think it will be fine.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE