Microsoft Closes Xbox.com PC Marketplace

Story at /.

SmartAboutThings writes

"Microsoft is definitely changing things in its gaming department: it has now announced in a support note on the Xbox site that it will be shutting down the Xbox.com PC Marketplace on August 22nd. This comes shortly after news that Microsoft hired former Steam boss Jason Holtman, whose mission at Redmond is to 'make Windows great for gaming.' The Microsoft Points system will be retired on August 22nd as well. The Games for Windows Live client software will not be affected, at least initially, letting you play previously purchased games."

Well, this could be good or bad.

Good in that gaming on Windows could be getting even better (more features rather than performance or something like that).

Bad in that, "The Games for Windows Live client software will not be affected, at least initially, letting you play previously purchased games."

"... affected, at least initially, letting ..."

"... initially ..."

Yeah. If my games stop working, I will be mad. Specifically Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition. Easily one of my favorite games. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

it not like gfwl features ever worked initially...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I will be mad if my GTA IV stops working. I love playing online on that, even though the game runs like a piece of @$%#

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Some of the comments are pretty funny, however I found one I thought was good enough to post here (not funny, but interesting):

nimbius writes:

Redmonds day late and dollar short approach to rectifying its inevitable downfall in gaming is cure for the symptom and not for the cause. While Steam announced a radically new direction in gaming that has been clamored about for ages, Microsoft basically fashioned the next generation console into a prison yard for publishers and a land mine for customers. Damage control be damned, the Xbox likely will not play a huge part of 2014's next generation consoles seeing as Sony has not only achieved architectural parity but actually vocalized sympathy and support for gamers in the face of Redmond. Nintendo can make hardware mistakes but its hard to escape the notion that almost every game in their lineup is about fun and rewarding gameplay first.

If Gabe is worried about the success of his shift to linux, all he has to do is utter the magic words, "Half Life 3." I'll gladly spend the next 2 days fervently compiling and patching to ensure Gentoo can run it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.