Radiator Doubts

Mooru

Ok so here's the story:

I had put a list together with all the watercooling components I wanted to use. Now I was going to order them and I started looking at other components and I started doubting which rad I should take.

I use a Corsair 650d and I'm doubting which rad I should put in the top. I have a little more than 70mm clearance in the top.

The options are:

XSPC EX280 with Noctua NF-A14 FLX

http://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-ex-series/ex280-dual-fan-radiator

VS

EK Coolstream XT 240 with Noctua NF-P12

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-rad-xt-240.html

So what do you guys think: What is best and why?

And while I'm at it. I don't have PWM connections for NF-F12's. If I go for the 240 rad, should I got with NF-F12's regardless?

Personally, I'd go EK, just because it looks a bit nicer, but the XS-PC will give you better cooling.

Also, still go for the NF-F12's, those are optimised for heatsinks and radiators.

Get alphacool rads /topic over.

Huh what? Err, what on earth makes you say that.

To the OP.

No one radiator is better than other radiators. They differ in performance by insignificant amounts. When picking a radiator pick it based on most importantly dimensions, then looks and features. And bear in mind that although more expensive things tend to perform better as a rule of the world in radiators this performance increase is very small. The materials the radiator is made of can also increase performance.

Check what your case can accept and pick the biggest rad you can fit if you want the best performance. By extension of this I will explain FPI. FPI (Fins per inch) is a measure of how many cooling fins there are in a radiator. As a rule of thumb thicker radiators have lower FPI. Low FPI is good because fans can run slower and push the same amount of air through. Slow running fans are quieter but they also mean you can ramp them up if you need it. Thicker rads are aimed at a much wider range of fan RPMs while thinner rads are aimed at a specific range of RPMs. High FPI thin rads are aimed at high RPM fans.

So pick as thick a radiator as you can get, with features you like, at as low a price as you can get when choosing radiators.

For you clearance, a standard fan is 25mm thick so you can fit a 45mm rad in the top.

I also have to ask why you would go with P12 fans, not just stick with NF-F12s. Also, Scythe Gentle typhoons are better rad fans at mid to high RPM. Noctua fans are mainly good at low RPMs.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I find Alphacool rads to be the best for quality, consistency and reliability not saying EK rads or XSPC rads or bad. Basically I fangirl Alphacool

I find Alphacool rads to be the best for quality, consistency and reliability not saying EK rads or XSPC rads or bad. Basically I fangirl Alphacool

Have you tried all the other options? How can you force your opinion onto people. HWLabs and many other companies make rads. If you actually want the best rad then you could buy an aquacomputer airplex rad but they are generally only for the people without a budget.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Get alphacool rads /topic over.

While I respect your opinion, that isn't really a constructive reply to my question :p

Personally, I'd go EK, just because it looks a bit nicer, but the XS-PC will give you better cooling.

Also, still go for the NF-F12's, those are optimised for heatsinks and radiators.

Cheers, This is something I can work with :)

Huh what? Err, what on earth makes you say that.

To the OP.

No one radiator is better than other radiators. They differ in performance by insignificant amounts. When picking a radiator pick it based on most importantly dimensions, then looks and features. And bear in mind that although more expensive things tend to perform better as a rule of the world in radiators this performance increase is very small. The materials the radiator is made of can also increase performance.

Check what your case can accept and pick the biggest rad you can fit if you want the best performance. By extension of this I will explain FPI. FPI (Fins per inch) is a measure of how many cooling fins there are in a radiator. As a rule of thumb thicker radiators have lower FPI. Low FPI is good because fans can run slower and push the same amount of air through. Slow running fans are quieter but they also mean you can ramp them up if you need it. Thicker rads are aimed at a much wider range of fan RPMs while thinner rads are aimed at a specific range of RPMs. High FPI thin rads are aimed at high RPM fans.

So pick as thick a radiator as you can get, with features you like, at as low a price as you can get when choosing radiators.

For you clearance, a standard fan is 25mm thick so you can fit a 45mm rad in the top.

I also have to ask why you would go with P12 fans, not just stick with NF-F12s. Also, Scythe Gentle typhoons are better rad fans at mid to high RPM. Noctua fans are mainly good at low RPMs.

Thanks. That's a very understandable reply. Although I do already know most of those things. I was wondering how they would match performance wise because the EK rad is thicker but has less surface area and is 14 FPI. The XSPC one imho looks gorgeous with the matte finish, has more surface area but isn't as thick so won't interfer with my 8 pin CPU power. The issue is that I can't find the FPI for this rad. Maybe I'm just really stupid and reading over it constantly.

Well I was asking because I would be using the standard fan controller of my 650d to set the fans on lowest settings probably all the time. But the NF-F12's have PWM connections, and I was wondering if there's a point in getting NF-F12's if you're not going to be using PWM.

issue with mounting the 280 in the roof, Corsair uses a 20mm fan spacing mount as most

all the mainstream offer a 15mm fan spacing. there are a couple (names escape me) that

actually have a 20mm spacing. you can grind on the holes to make them fit the 15mm space,

but to some that is not an option. just some foresight

personally, i'd say on 120 fans more options of sound/performance over the 140 market.

airdeano