New Windows 10 Insider Preview Build: 10565 - New Activation system, and lots of improvements

GoodBytes

Microsoft has released a new build for Windows 10 Insider Preview for those on the Fast Ring.

The Build number is 10565 (official release of Windows 10 is: 10240).

This build is labeled as Threshold 2, this is a big Windows 10 update that Microsoft is in the works and expected to release this month or next officially, if all goes well. This isn't Windows 10.1, but it is more like a Service Pack 1, if you will.

It contains many fixes throughout the OS and improvements. Since the release of Windows 10 publicly, Microsoft has been working on Threshold 2. Each build included new fixes and new features.

This time around, the following is added to the set of new feature that Insider Preview have been enjoying already, such as previously mentioned here, the new Environment Variable panel where it is now a joy to use (for the developer out there), amongst many others.

Here is what is new in this build, which is perhaps more interesting for most people here.

Edge has now Tab preview

tab-preview-1024x351.png

Edge can now sync bookmarks, and its reading list between systems (the other system needs to have this build, of course).

Still no extension support. There are speculations that it will be delayed to 2016, but we have to wait and see.

Cortana now support ink:

cortana-ink-reminders2.png

Cortana can now also track your leisure time, including movie and event reminders

Title bar color

dark-titlebar.png

Improved right-click menus look and feel (getting closer to a more consistent look)

start-context-menus.png

Lots of new icons (I mean replacing the ones that were not touched). The registry icon has finally been updated as well.

regedit-icon.png

is1.png

is2.png

New feature is the improved activation system of Windows 10.

It will now take Windows 7 and 8 product keys, and be able to activate that way your upgrade.

This is excellent news for those that change their hardware, and Windows 10 needs to be re-installed or reactivated.

There will be no more a need to install back the old version of Windows and re-upgrade to Windows 10.

Please note, we have no details if this is for both OEM System Builder and Retail licenses of Windows, or if even if actual OEM license of Windows is included as Windows 8 ones don't have a product key (in the UEFI). So I guess we will need to wait and see.

Microsoft says:

We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Improvement on the Default Printer. Now Windows 10 will set as default the last printer you used. This means what? Well, what it really means is that your programs will/should auto-select the last printer you used. Of course, you can disable this behavior, and stay with the old way.

We are introducing a new mode that makes your default printer the last printer you used. This change helps ensure the best printer is preselected in inbox print dialogs. You can manage this behavior in Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanners to change this to the previous way Windows handled default printers. The ability to set a default printer by network location has been removed.

Another improvement is that now universal apps don't mute themselves when minimized, a big issue that many people faced.

You can view other big bug fixes from the source link.

It must be noted an important issue. Microsoft says that they pulled temporarily Edge web browser WebM and VP9 support. Microsoft assures that it will come back.

(it probably has a a big bug leading to stability issues, so they removed it from this build as they continue to work on it, and not block people using this latest build, that would be my guess.)

Also important bug. There is a memory leak of sorts with the XBox App

The Xbox app for Windows 10 will consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app. Closing the Xbox app will release your PC’s memory.

So basically don't use it. And you may want to turn off the Recording feature as well in this build.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

So it looks like we inch closer to a more polished experience of Windows 10 as time moves on.

Hopefully, once complete, it will run better for some people. In my case, while Windows 10 runs perfectly fine on my desktop, my Surface Pro 2 have having issues with the official build of Windows 10. However, Windows 10 Insider Preview has been much better. As we speak, my Surface Pro 2 is being upgraded to this new build, hopefully it gets even better.

By the way, those in Canada and celebrating it: Happy Thanks Taking day!

Awesome I might update to this build later :) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

yay! much better activation. Should have been that way from the start

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've noticed some issues with stuttering in the OS. Particularly noticable when playing music or other media. I had some success disabling HPET, but it seems to have come back. I wonder what they derped.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm shocked about the activation changes, it's awesome news for consumers but I never suspected they'd allow us to use old keys on 10.

Overall I can't wait for this update, it should be great.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I hope they stop adding features for now and add fixes+stability and release by the end of the month.

And can i say FINALLY some good looking damn icons, or decent at least.

I need the th2 build the 10240 even with all cumulative updates is still 'meh', and buggy.

I hope they stop adding features for now and add fixes+stability and release by the end of the month.

And can i say FINALLY some good looking damn icons, or decent at least.

I need the th2 build the 10240 even with all cumulative updates is still 'meh', and buggy.

Based on the experience I have with my Surface Pro 2, I would say that they do a lot of bug fixes on the back. They just don't mention them You can quickly guess from the build number increasing rapidly at times with little no change between build that they have working on just that, bug fixes.

I've noticed some issues with stuttering in the OS. Particularly noticable when playing music or other media. I had some success disabling HPET, but it seems to have come back. I wonder what they derped.

Usually that is related to sound card/chip issue, or driver conflict. I would uninstall your wireless/wired drivers, sound and graphics card, restart and re-install them (of course download the drivers first).

Usually that is related to sound card/chip issue, or driver conflict. I would uninstall your wireless/wired drivers, sound and graphics card, restart and re-install them (of course download the drivers first).

Yeah "latency mon" freaks out on the lan files. But I've installed all the newest LAN, sound and graphics drivers. There are no newer ones, and they are all W10 versions. Maybe it's because both computers uses upgraded windows 10, not clean install. Might wait for this new build to see if it solves anything.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

snip

so does that mean that if I am currently using win 7 and i do a new build in 2017, I can upgrade to win 10 for free using that same key

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Yeah "latency mon" freaks out on the lan files. But I've installed all the newest LAN, sound and graphics drivers. There are no newer ones, and they are all W10 versions. Maybe it's because both computers uses upgraded windows 10, not clean install. Might wait for this new build to see if it solves anything.

Yea maybe.

so does that mean that if I am currently using win 7 and i do a new build in 2017, I can upgrade to win 10 for free using that same key

Not sure.

Not sure.

Pretty sure the free upgrade promotion will be over by then?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Shit, Windows 10 is just gettin' better.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

I would assume new activation process would be same for OEM and retail version. Though if you'd change hardware or build a new PC you'd need to have retail license and not OEM to be able to do clean install on new machine, right?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Am i the only one still bothered about the fact that they havent remotely tried to fix the really buggy start menu?

Mine sometimes decides to search the internet instead of my actual apps. Its a pain in the arse when it comes to finding things you want but cant actually find yourself.

Plus then that time once a month or so when the start menu just decides to die on you and doesnt work for like 5 minutes after you repeadtly clicking it trying to get its attention..

DEAR GOD, IVE JUST REALISED WINDOWS 10 BASICALLY IS THE BIRTH OF CORTANA'S EMOTIONS. THE OS IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

Am i the only one still bothered about the fact that they havent remotely tried to fix the really buggy start menu?

Did you try it? Or are you waiting for an official statement. Microsoft isn't mentioning all the bug fixes. They only mention a hint of them. There is probably 300+ bugs fixed in this build compared to the official release one.

Did you try it? Or are you waiting for an official statement. Microsoft isn't mentioning all the bug fixes. They only mention a hint of them. There is probably 300+ bugs fixed in this build compared to the official release one.

I dont use the dev preview anymore. I only used it up till the launch date. I could use it on my laptop but i dont use my laptop anymore so it'd be pointless testing it on there.

I suppose it's just a waiting game.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

since changing my mobo my windows has been nagging for reactivation. not accepting my retail win 8.1 key was pretty rude of it...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Screw off Cortana. I don't want you keeping tabs on how much I waste my time on the computer.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

yay! much better activation. Should have been that way from the start

I'm shocked about the activation changes, it's awesome news for consumers but I never suspected they'd allow us to use old keys on 10.

Overall I can't wait for this update, it should be great.

And here i thought i had to buy retail again in future this is awesome :D

For now if you would reinstall windows 8.1 and activate it properly on new hardware and upgrade from 8.1 again it should activate properly again, but kinda dumb they did't add this feature right away to accept windows 7 and 8 keys, hope next build go's rtm very soon.

I'm very sure its gonna cause even more confusion and backlash. I mean it hasn't even started and look...

since changing my mobo my windows has been nagging for reactivation. not accepting my retail win 8.1 key was pretty rude of it...

People already don't get it. What's worse now, adding this new method of "activation...idk. I seen alot of stupid things lately and really cant help but be cynical. Alittle.

This new build is now available for the Slow ring and ISO download is available.

This new build is now available for the Slow ring and ISO download is available.

Any idea when it will be released for non betas?