ND Filter, Long Exposure, or Both?

If I want to get images like this at a waterfall that's near me, should I use an ND filter, long exposure time, or both? I know that if I do a long exposure time, I would need a tripod, but I just don't know anything about how ND filters work and how to use them properly... 

Strickland_Falls_Shadows_Lifted.jpg

usually to get pics like that, you use an nd filter with a long exposure. without an nd filter, taking a long exposure like that during the day would overexpose the image even at an aperture like f16

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

You need nd filter if you are shooting this at broad daylight. Nd filter will stop the amount of light. Without one you wouldn't be able to get this shot alone with long exposure because it be too bright

usually to get pics like that, you use an nd filter with a long exposure. without an nd filter, taking a long exposure like that during the day would overexpose the image even at an aperture like f16

OK, thank you both, but what if I use aperture f36 and iso 100?

You can, however very narrow apertures like f/36 can affect image quality.  Better to use a 10-stop ND filter.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You can, however very narrow apertures like f/36 can affect image quality.  Better to use a 10-stop ND filter.

Do you know of any good ones for a 58mm lens that are not expensive? :P

These would be the lowest cost yet good quality ones I would recommend.  Deep ND filters run the risk of color casting, especially if they are cheap and low quality.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/category/filters~4.html

After the above, the next best filters would be LEE filters, which are better quality and a bit more expensive.  The Big Stopper is around $150 just for the filter.

http://www.leefilters.com/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If I want to get images like this at a waterfall that's near me, should I use an ND filter, long exposure time, or both? I know that if I do a long exposure time, I would need a tripod, but I just don't know anything about how ND filters work and how to use them properly... 

You would need an ND filter to do a long exposure photograph like you have shown, doing this in broad daylight will not yield you a long enough exposure to make the water like smoke. Even if you are at f36 and ISO 100, it wouldn't be enough as you'd get around 1/2 of a second and plus it would affect the image quality.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You would want both. The long exposure would produce the wispy water trails but it will also overexpose since you're taking in a lot of light. The ND filter counteracts this.

This can be achieved without ND filters by using slow shutter speeds and taking multiple shots. If you were to get ND filters, I would prefer Haida filters instead of Lee filters. The reason is that Haida filters are neutral while lee filters gives off blueish tone.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

This can be achieved without ND filters by using slow shutter speeds and taking multiple shots. If you were to get ND filters, I would prefer Haida filters instead of Lee filters. The reason is that Haida filters are neutral while lee filters gives off blueish tone.

Hmm didn't know about this brand before, have to look into it.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

for an ND filter I'd recommend buying a large one, like an 82mm, then getting some step up rings. 

this will allow you to use the same filter on different sized lenses without having to buy multiple. 

i'd do the same for CPL filters. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

for an ND filter I'd recommend buying a large one, like an 82mm, then getting some step up rings. 

this will allow you to use the same filter on different sized lenses without having to buy multiple. 

i'd do the same for CPL filters. 

I don't plan on buying bigger lenses in the near future, while I have this camera.

What camera do you have?

I don't plan on buying bigger lenses in the near future, while I have this camera.

Invest in the Formatt-HiTech filter system, the 100x100 slot-in system will let you use the same filters with almost any size lens so you don't have to buy a set of filters for each lens you own.  Yes it will be a bit of an expensive investment in the initial phase, but the return of investment will be worth it over the long run.

I am not a fan of screw on circular filters other than for CPL and protection.  All my ND (deep ND, reverse grad, soft grad, hard grad) filters are 100x100mm or 100x150mm slot-in filters

F36 would probably introduce unwanted lens effects similar to chromatic aberration or something. But yes, you would need both an ND filter and a long exposure. Without the ND filter your image would be overexposed if you were shooting in broad daylight or even cloud cover.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!