Anybody know anything about the APC Back-UPS 400 (BK400)

jpmorgan34

I found this UPS for 4 bucks at a Habitat for Humanity restore, and I figured "what the hey, why not try it out." I assume its very old because it has the gross matte whiteish color that you see on electronics from the 90s and early 2000s (If this works than I am gonna get handy with the spray paints). The test beeper still works, but it is giving me an error code. I found out its just for a dead battery, so I bought one for this model off ye' old amazon. Also on this model it has one of those RS-232 data connectors (It looks like a VGA/ D-SUB port with one less row of pins and is an old semi-equivalent for USB, but kinda not) I have a RS-232 to USB adapter and tried using it. My computer sees the device but can't communicate with it. I am wondering if I need to go driver hunting, or I need to count my loss of 4 dollars and take a trip to my recycling center. Is RS-232 supposed to be PnP. I have no idea because of the age of this form of communication. Also just any other general info you have about this UPS would be awesome. Thanks for your help.

Why Can't Dinosaur's Talk... Cus their all dead

A blind guy walks into a bar... then a chair then a table

A job half done is a job not done

I found this UPS for 4 bucks at a Habitat for Humanity restore, and I figured "what the hey, why not try it out." I assume its very old because it has the gross matte whiteish color that you see on electronics from the 90s and early 2000s (If this works than I am gonna get handy with the spray paints). The test beeper still works, but it is giving me an error code. I found out its just for a dead battery, so I bought one for this model off ye' old amazon. Also on this model it has one of those RS-232 data connectors (It looks like a VGA/ D-SUB port with one less row of pins and is an old semi-equivalent for USB, but kinda not) I have a RS-232 to USB adapter and tried using it. My computer sees the device but can't communicate with it. I am wondering if I need to go driver hunting, or I need to count my loss of 4 dollars and take a trip to my recycling center. Is RS-232 supposed to be PnP. I have no idea because of the age of this form of communication. Also just any other general info you have about this UPS would be awesome. Thanks for your help.

The newer models just an Rj45 to USB connection for communicating with the unit for safety shutting down your system when battery backup is low but usually it does require a software from the manufacturer to enable the option to see the power usages and change the sensitivity on their units. 

This should be the manual for that specific unit:

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z7V9Z/ASTE-6Z7V9Z_R0_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

Thanks but do you know if the "PowerChute" software would work with an os like win 10 and if so wich one should I download

Why Can't Dinosaur's Talk... Cus their all dead

A blind guy walks into a bar... then a chair then a table

A job half done is a job not done

Thanks but do you know if the "PowerChute" software would work with an os like win 10 and if so wich one should I download

i used it before on Windows 7 without issue on mine but haven't reinstalled it after upgrading. They should say if it supports Windows 10 but as an older unit I'm not sure if they continue the software updates.